Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Texas Tornadoes

I'm sure you all have heard about the goings-on in my area. Yesterday was nothing short of a weather meltdown here in the Dallas-Fort Worth area with something in the neighborhood of 10-15 tornadoes popping up over the course of the day.

My office is right on the edge of downtown Dallas, and we really dodged trouble with a couple of tornadoes around us at various times. We had sirens and craziness, and my team headed down to the basement parking garage at one point as we received news that other local business were evacuating into safe areas. At one point in the afternoon we received word that a cell was forming over the American Airlines Center, which I can see out the window from a conference room down the hall.

Even scarier was being here at work and watching on Facebook, our local NBC affiliate's website, and other outlets as a tornado moved straight toward my hometown where my mom and Greyson were hunkered down. Luckily, the tornadic activity passed over my town, but there was a Tornado Emergency declared for the next town over. I haven't heard damage reports yet but aside from high wind and large hail, it appears my area lucked out.

An event like this is really a wake up call on a lot of fronts. I am sending thoughts and prayers to those most affected by the storms in Arlington, Lancaster, and Forney. I was relieved to find out last night that all of my Forney family members are safe.

I also realized a greater appreciation for information sharing yesterday as updates on Facebook were more informative than the news about the exact location of storms and activity. My hometown's Facebook page was the first to put out the call to take cover.

I'm also thankful for the forethought and good planning our schools and daycares have in place. I called to check on things at the daycare yesterday and the team had already been over their emergency procedure, and they were putting that into action when my mom picked Greyson up. Those folks get a pat on the back from me.

Finally, thanks to all of my friends across the country who checked on my family and our other Dallas-area bloggers via Facebook and Twitter (and text message -- hi, Heather!). I so so so appreciate your concern and watchfulness. Those prayers came in handy.

23 comments:

  1. I tell you weather is getting scarier and scarier. I'm glad you're safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to hear that you and yours are all doing well and were protected from harm. It is entering that scary time of year again unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a relief that your family is OK. Do they know what caused so many tornadoes at once?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to hear that you and your family is safe! I didn't know you were also a Texan! (I'm from Houston). I was shocked yesterday when I saw the news about tornados in Texas. That just doesn't happen very often! My thoughts and prayers are with the people in Dallas right now and I hope the damages to your city weren't too serious! Definitely happy to know that there weren't any deaths though!! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you and your family are okay. What a scary day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to hear you're okay!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Several years back we had a 24 hour period of time with tornado after tornado...I don't even know how many total. It was one of the scariest times I remember. Like ya'll, we're somewhat used to it, but never comfortable with it. Glad ya'll are all ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just popped over from My Porch and saw your blog/pic on the blogroll. From one fellow Dallasite to another, Howdy and glad you are all right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How scary--glad you are okay! I'll take my California earthquakes any day. That is awesome that the daycare already had a disaster plan in place and were following it, very reassuring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brrr! Glad to hear that y'all are doing okay. Tornadoes scare the hell out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you and your family are ok! I was following things avidly on Facebook yesterday - that's how I found out what was going on in the first place, and knew to text my parents and sister in Dallas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I must have been hiding under a rock. I didn't even know about this! I'm glad you and your family are doing ok!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very glad you and your family are okay, and I'm thinking about everyone in Texas! We're coming up on the 10-year anniversary of the tornado that destroyed part of my neighboring town, an F4 that is so uncommon here in Maryland, and tornado talk seems to be everywhere. Very scary!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is great to hear that you and your family are safe. I can't imagine the fear you are going through with all those tornadoes coming close. Hope it all clears soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad that you and your family are okay. So, so scary to watch and know that there is really nothing that anyone can do in a situation like that. It's so great that the warnings went out early, saved a lot of lives!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This must have been so scary, and I am glad to hear that everyone is safe. I am also glad to hear that you were kept up to date with everything that was going on via Facebook and Twitter. Glad that the storms have passed and that you all are well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you're safe, Andi! (Btw, I love the new poppies background.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. As soon as I heard Dallas, I was all ANDI! And, since I was at stinking work, all I could do was text. Curse work for blocking the important stuff! LOL

    So very glad everyone is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am clearly out of the loop, as I totally missed the tornado news! I'm so glad to hear you and your family are okay!

    ReplyDelete
  21. SO glad to hear you and the fam are okay! That is so scary. I didn't realize you lived in Dallas, which is probably a good thing, because I would have had fifty heart attacks when I heard about the tornado.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was so happy to be able to connect with friends and family via Facebook and texting. My kiddo wound up in the corporate office basement for an hour, but was safe and sound. Phew. Scary times and the season has only just begun! I love spring flowers and the longer days, but I HATE spring storms. Looks like we'll be getting our share up here in a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooooh, it was such a scary day, wasn't it? My cell wasn't working and then my work phone wasn't working and I was nearly freaking out when I couldn't get ahold of Scott or my mom (mom was supposed to be picking up Elle to take her to her house for safekeeping). Glad you guys were unscathed. Hub has been adjusting some of the damage in Forney and says it's just heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!