Monday, May 28, 2012

Personally: Lazy Day and Pin It, Do It

"Lazy" seems to pop up in my post titles pretty regularly lately! I can't say I'm opposed. When I have an opportunity to kick out around the house, I take it. With nearly 12 hours on the run every day of the week, including a 2-hour commute (an hour each way), I love to spend time at home being domestic, playing outside with G, or kicked back in the recliner with a book.

I haven't had a legitimate day off since I started my new job (no rest between old gig and new gig), so this weekend was the perfect time to take some time to recharge.

Friday was a regular busy day, but Saturday was relaxing. I spent some time out shopping with my mom; I picked up a couple of summer tops suitable for the weekend or layering for work. We had a quick lunch at Cotton Patch Cafe (steak fingers and salad....AWESOME), and spent the afternoon letting Greyson run through a sprinkler.

Yesterday was a lazy morning reading, and Greyson spent some time watching his favorite show: Super Why! It's about reading. I don't complain too much about that either. Silly me decided to go for a grocery run in the mid-afternoon by the time the Texas temps reached 95. Not the best move I've ever made. Dropped G off to spend the night with the fam around 5pm and then mama hit up the shoe store! Got some cute bronze strappy sandals. My fave pair blew out last year, and it's unacceptable not to have a go-to pair in the summertime. Now I just need a pedicure. Bad. Really bad.


I've also been feeling pretty domestic this weekend. I finally decided to tackle a couple of the tasks on my Pin It and Do It board for Trish's challenge.

First up, Roasted Fajita-Spiced Chickpeas. I looooooove chickpeas. I don't really know why because they generally taste like air. But, I love the texture, the size of them, the fact that they don't mush together as easily as some other canned peas and beans. I love 'em on salads, I love to just eat 'em. And I love crunch, so this roasted version sounded really promising.

Photo credit
I made a half-batch of these because I only had one can of chickpeas in the house, and I'm glad I did. I liked the flavor a lot, but I cooked them on the low end of the recommended cooking time (40 minutes or so). I was distracted when the oven timer went off, so my mom took them out of the oven. The ones around the edges got crispy and crunchy but the ones toward the middle of the pan were tough-skinned but still soft in the middle. The tough skin/soft middle made for a less appealing texture, so I would've loved to cook them for another 10-15 minutes to get them all crunchy. I will definitely do these again as they'd be a great salad topper or a quick snack for my work lunch box.



Today I'm tackling another Pin It recipe: Vegetable Stock in the Slow Cooker! I prefer to use veggie stock in soups, stuffings and dressings, and when I'm cooking rice or couscous. I nearly refuse to buy boxed or canned stocks these days because of all the preservatives and sodium. Plus, they're expensive! And there is seriously NOTHING EASIER to make at home. I used A Year of Slow Cooking's recommended veggies in my stock: celery pieces, carrots, onion, garlic, and I threw in some orange bell pepper tops I had leftover. My stock is crockin' for the next 10 hours. I'll portion it out tomorrow night and pop those puppies in the freezer. My project for next weekend is chicken stock.

On the reading front, I'm still loving Drums of Autumn. I'm about 700 pages through it, so I'll finish up this week.

What are you doing this weekend (if you're off today and it's still your weekend)? How's your week starting out if you're back on the job today? Whatcha reading?




29 comments:

  1. I might actually like chickpeas if they were fixed that way - I'm generally not a fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It adds a lot of flavor. I'm also a big fan of anything crunchy. Chips are generally my downfall, so it's nice to have a substitute.

      Delete
  2. I love chickpeas cooked that way! The hubby will periodically whip up a batch, and I'm always happy to help eat them.

    I also did a bit of shopping yesterday. I couldn't choose between two pairs of strappy platform sandals...so I bought both! And a maxi dress from Old Navy. I'd been wanting one for summer, but I couldn't find one in a style and price that worked for me. When I found one yesterday I snapped it up :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty addictive, MJ!

      And good for you. One can never have too many shoes, right?! I tried on a cute dress over the weekend, but as with so many others, I couldn't commit. I have a dress phobia. lol

      Delete
  3. I don't mind chickpeas...but I've never thought of snacking on them :) I need to have a Pinterest Make It Marathon! I also think it's the lazy days that keep us sane!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, I pretty much did have a Pinterest marathon this weekend. The chickpeas were Sunday and I made the veggie stock and WriteMeg's almond bars yesterday. Soooo good!

      Delete
  4. I got a pair of bronze sandals this year too! (At thrift, unworn!) Also love chickpeas, but was not impressed by roasting them. I'm reading a book for BlogHer, due Thursday, on page three. And last, to sum up my day- PINK EYE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay bronze! And yay for thrifting! I would've been impressed with the chickpeas if mine had gotten crunchier.

      And sorry about the pink eye! That sucks!

      Delete
  5. I love to cook but I've not made my own stock yet. Let me know how yours turns out, I might need to steal the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out great, Sam! The whole house smelled like Thanksgiving by the time I was done cooking. Now I just need to split it up and freeze.

      Delete
  6. I've been totally lazy all weekend. I don't think I did anything productive at all yesterday... it was awesome. I haven't tried making stock in my crock pot yet, but the veggie stock you pictured looks super easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, lazy is great. If I didn't have the beginnings of a summer cold I'd be really rested today.

      It was super easy and smelled great! Highly recommended.

      Delete
  7. I will give you ONE GUESS as to what I'm reading. It's all your fault.

    Hint: I'm ahead of you by 247 pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill! Shut the front door!!!! I can't remember...had you read some in this series already?

      Delete
    2. Nevermind! Just read your blog post. I win. :D

      Delete
  8. I also really need a pedicure, and haven't found the time to get one yet. I love that you are being productive and relaxed, and wish that my time for that could come soon. I really need a vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I hear ya. Now that I'm relaxed and had a fun/productive weekend, I have a cold. Boo! Hiss!!!

      Delete
  9. Lazy days are so nice! I spent most of the weekend going a bit crazy book-shopping (currently re-reading one I picked up, "Just Kids" by Patti Smith, which I adore), and avoiding the freaking SNOW...oy. One book I picked up you'd appreciate: a hardcover signed copy of Anthony Bourdain's "Kitchen Confidential" in which he wrote "COOK FREE OR DIE" and drew a chef's knife. FTW!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, they really are wonderful. Yay for crazy book shopping! And snow? That's just madness.

      Finally, I heart Tony. You know I do. Awesome!

      Delete
  10. David likes to watch Super Why too. He also loves Sid the Science Kid, which is fine with me. He probably knows more about science already than I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched Sid the Science Kid, but it's on the docket now!

      Delete
  11. I've never had chickpeas before but no I want some! My kids really enjoy Super Why! too. PBS has a lot of great shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try 'em! Try 'em! But don't expect too much. They don't really have a taste which makes them perfect for curries and other heavily spiced dishes to give them some taste.

      And PBS is fantastic. I've always loved it, and Greyson likes the Sprout network a lot, too.

      Delete
  12. I live for long, lazy summer days and new sandals! I might have to try that chickpea recipe because I have never liked them unless they are in hummus form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Brooke! Long and lazy days are the ticket. Love me some hummus!

      Delete
  13. I bought new shoes too. Didn't have time to book a pedicure so ended up DIY'ing one. Not as nice but the job got done :) I love roasted chickpeas but I tend to just buy them that way at the bulk store!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know why I don't make homemade stock more often. That really is easy and you're so right about it being healthier. It's going to be cool here this week - think it'll be the perfect time to make so vegetable stock myself!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really need to get out my crock pot again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice! those look delicious. i am way too lazy to make my own stock though, LOL. My Pin it and Do it tasks are done but I have to write my post soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!