Monday, May 21, 2012

The Red Garden by Alice Hoffman

I just realized this is the fifth of Hoffman book that I've read! For a book tart, that's pretty good. From experience, I can tell you that I enjoy her short stories the most. And before you say, "But I don't do short stories," take a moment to consider The Red Garden.

The first point of note is that while this is a collection of stories, it's a short story cycle. That is, all of the stories are connected by location (Blackwell, Massachusetts; Hightop Mountain; Eel River). Furthermore, each story is set in a different year, and they follow several family lineages from the first story in the 1700s to the last story in the late 1900s (1990s I'd venture). What so many readers seem to dislike about short stories is the lack of continuity throughout a collection and a lack of depth and "knowing" the characters. This short story cycle structure really alleviates some of those concerns as many of the characters carry over from one story to the next. A precocious 6-year-old girl in one story may be the adult heroine in the next.

I was prompted to put this book on my wishlist for last year's Book Blogger Holiday Swap because I read another of Hoffman's collections, Blackbird House, several years ago, and it remains a favorite short story collection. It's also a beautiful cycle set around a single farm. and a specific home. Also set in Massachusetts, it takes place on the coast while The Red Garden is all about a mountain town. On a very basic, surface level I found the mountain setting magical and comfortable. As if I were snuggling down on a family vacation when I was growing up, always a bigger fan of the cool tree cover of the mountains than a scorching coast.

It's hard for me to tell you why I love this book simply because Hoffman's writing is somewhat enigmatic. Worst descriptor for writing ever? Mayyybe! Let's see if I can do better. There is always a sense of magic in Hoffman's writing. An elusive ghost here and there. A garden graveyard for a bear where the soil turns red and the plants all grow in crimson, the embodiment of heartbreak. It's just enough to give a sense of folklore and oral history, but in meeting the individual characters we see that they're very real people with real struggles in their time. They're likely to be memorialized in magical legend later on in the book as time ticks on and the residents of Blackwell lose the details over the course of 200 years.

I'm also fond of the fact that Hoffman doesn't shy away from the tragedy in this book. It's not all a downer, but these people lose love, lose their lives, experience illness and tragedy and great joy as well. In experiencing the lifetime of a family or a location, loss is part of the deal. But Hoffman writes it in such a wonderful, bittersweet way.

A few of my favorite stories:

"The Monster of Blackwell, 1956" - A young man with physical deformities runs away to live in the forest and survives off the land. By chance, he comes to the aid of a beautiful and promising young lady with a mind toward college. A Beauty and the Beast Story. Simple, sad, but enthralling.

"The Fisherman's Wife, 1935" - A strange young woman is rumored to be a mermaid. More likely she's married to a homicidal old nut, but our hero is determined to find out.

"The Red Garden, 1986" - The secrets of the red garden come to light and a difficult, lost young woman begins to discover her place in the world and in the town of Blackwell.

A passage from "The Truth About My Mother, 1903" - A sad story to start, but a hopeful, romantic end.
My mother's true feelings were there in her face. She didn't have to say anything to show how she felt about my father. He reacted as you might imagine he would. Hateful was too small a word. I wondered if the electricity at Luna Park had seeped into his skin, and that was why his meanness grew, like a charge, burning brighter throughout the spring. Fine weather seemed to affect him adversely. But in all honesty he drank whenever there was rain or snow or wind or falling leaves. He drank and burned, and we paid the price. We often kept the lights turned off, though ours had been one of the first houses in Brooklyn to be wired. We kept a lantern beneath my bed. 
As I've mentioned quite often lately, I appreciate those books that can carry me away into their imaginary world. Wrap around me like a blanket of rest and comfort. This was one of those books, and I am so thankful to have picked it up. Another winner in a string of winning reading.


Pub. Date: August 2011
Publisher: Broadway
Format: Trade Paperback
ISBN-13:  978-0307405975 
Source: A gift from Stacy at Stacy's Books



33 comments:

  1. You read my mind with "I don't do short stories"!! Too funny. It sounds like this one may be something I'd like though. I enjoy short stories that are connected in some way, even if it's a small connection. It's on the list, Andi. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, I like to head you guys off at the pass before you run screaming. lol Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. I'm not usually fond of short stories although I absolutely adored Blackbird House so this is being bumped up the wishlist now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treez, if you liked Blackbird House I feel REALLY confident that you'll love this one.

      Delete
  3. I got this on audio to listen on a road trip and really enjoyed the parts I listened to. Then I came home and never actually finished it! I should make time for it again. I remember the first story being especially fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, Carrie! Do get back to it if you have time. Great book.

      Delete
  4. Started this novel last night :) Thank-you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't do short stories either...usually that is. I might givre this a try since the characters show up in various places :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, it's very cohesive. I usually can't read short stories straight through, but this one had enough connections that I read it straight through and really fast.

      Delete
  6. I think Hoffman and I get along best when it's short stories too. I adored Blackbird House as much as you did. I'll have to get this one a try! Great review Andiroo!

    Oooo that rhymed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read several of Hoffman's novels but don't think I've experienced her short stories. I'll have to try one of her collections - you've made this one sound appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is reallyyyy good, Kathy. So rich. That's what I love about Hoffman, and I think she's even better at short stories than novels.

      Delete
  8. I read The Dovekeepers last year and loved it. Unfortunately, I hadn't read anything by Hoffman up to that point because I only knew her as the lady who wrote Practical Magic. I am appropriately ashamed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! I want to read The Dovekeepers. LOL, forget Practical Magic, asap. I've also liked some of her YA stuff. Incantation is the one I'm thinking of, about the Spanish Inquisition.

      Delete
  9. This does sound like a really warm and comforting book, and I was enthralled with the small paragraph you posted at the end. I love books that seem to naturally flow, and it seems like this one really does. Beautiful review today. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It really did wrap me up, and I had to go back to Outlander because I needed another book like that to keep me reading.

      Delete
  10. I love love love Blackbird House. It's one of my favorite short story collections too. Now I really want to read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love it, Natasha. I'm certain!

      Delete
  11. Do I dare admit I have never read anything by Alice Hoffman? I love books that transport me to any place different. Isn't that why we read as much as we do? I will definitely have to check out one of her short story collections now that you have raved about her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle! Michelle, Michelle. Start with one of the short story collections and if you don't like it, give up and move on. They are her best, in my opinion.

      Delete
  12. Ooooh…this sounds good! Have you read by Green Angel by her? It's one of my all time favs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I haven't read that one. Was it one of the YA titles??? I read another of her YA selections--Incantation--and really loved it, too.

      Delete
  13. It's been a while since I've read something by Hoffman. I have Blackbird House on a shelf and must get to it this summer. I think it was in a book box from OTPS, so that tells you how long I've had it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great summer read, Les. Reminds me of those childhood vacations in the mountains. Ahhh!

      Delete
  14. I've only read a couple books by Hoffman but I loved them. They were so nice and quirky. Sounds like I need to get my mitts on Blackbird House and this one sounds great, too. I'm in the minority, of course - adore short stories when they're done well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, quirky is a good word!!! And I love that you love short stories. I think you'll really like these.

      Delete
  15. I used to read Alice Hoffman all the time, but it has been ages! I also haven't read this book by her...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it, Kelly! Sorry, needed to enable for a moment. :D

      Delete
  16. I actually have never read any Alice Hoffman. I don't know why. The Red Garden sounds good. I'll have to pick it up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a great collection!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Has anyone created a Family Tree for The Red Garden? I really felt that this would have given me the full experience of this short story type approach.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!