Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Sunday Salon - Finally, A Follow-Up

Well it took me the better part of a week to settle on another book to read after my Voyager foray. The final verdict? The Red Garden, by Alice Hoffman. I read the better part of its 270 pages yesterday afternoon in a single sitting, and I could not have found a better book to get me into the swing of things again.

I won't say too much, since I want to properly review this little gem, but if you've had any inclination, you should try it. Great book.

  

What's next for me??? Still trying to starve myself of Gabaldon for a little longer before I tackle Drums of Autumn. Of all the books on my shelves the two calling loudest right now are Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire and Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier.

If I choose Son of a Witch, I expect this to go one of the following two ways:

1. I'll love going back to Maguire's world and will eat it up.
2. I'll decide I don't give a crap about any of the characters besides Elphaba and give up.

On the other hand, Remarkable Creatures is a historical fiction novel, one of the many I've read lately, so we'll see if that craving holds up. I've already read a few pages of this one, and despite the long run of historical fiction reading, it is holding my attention so far.

Keep in mind, I could be reading something completely unrelated to both of these tomorrow.

Me = book tart. Moody, moody book tart.

Happy Sunday! I hope you're all overdosing on good books. 

17 comments:

  1. I don't know about overdosing, I think any dosage of reading time would be good for me today! But happy Sunday to you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Sunday! Enjoy reading. Any amount of it. :)

      Delete
  2. I really liked Remarkable Creatures so if you choose that one I hope you'll enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like it so far, Chris! I'm done with my bloggy reading for the day, so I'm gonna curl up with Remarkable Creatures until the kiddo gets home. :)

      Delete
  3. Your little teaser makes The Red Garden sound good! I'll be watching for your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kathy! Review probably coming up tomorrow. I neeeeed to write about this one. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm pretty tarty myself right now...just finished two extra fluffy selections...my brain just needs rest right now :) Red Garden sounds good to me as well and we have the McGwire books. My oldest daughter liked them until we saw Wicked on Broadway in NY...then she hated all of it?? I have no idea why. I'm still going to read them though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for tartiness! I completely understand the need for brain rest. The Red Garden is a perfectly beautiful and thoughtful and engrossing book.

      Good luck with Wicked when you get around to it. I found it fascinating but some find it boring. Depends on the mood, I think.

      Delete
  5. I love Alice Hoffman's novels and this one sounds delicious. I also loved Remarkable Creatures and have gobbled up all of Tracy Chevalier's novels all of which were wonderful apart from Burning Bright which gave me indigestion...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treez, it is a delight! I just wrote my review for tomorrow, so I hope you'll check it out.

      I'm glad to know you liked Remarkable Creatures. My luck with Chevalier has been a little more hit and miss. I liked Girl with a Pearl Earring, but I haven't been able to get into any of the others to this point. Looks like the tide is turning!

      Delete
  6. How could any reasonable person find Wicked boring? ;-) I stopped at Wicked myself, but there are so many sequels at this point that there must be a good sized group of people out there who love them and buy them all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. C.B., I have no idea. I think they're nuts, personally, but I'm just going off what I've heard. lol

    I have my doubts about whether the other books can live up to Wicked, but we will see!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only read one Alice Hoffman (The Dovekeepers) and I definitely want to read more. She's written so many books that it's good to have a recommendation, will look out for The Red Garden.

    And I LOVED Remarkable Creatures. But then, I went on holiday every year as a child to Lyme Regis where the book is set, so I might be a bit biased :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll have to check out the Hoffman book. I don't believe I've heard of it before. Have a wonderful Sunday and hope you will have lots of good reading in the coming week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I'm interested in The Red Garden. I hope whatever you end up reading turns out to be a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved Remarkable Creatures, but I'm a huge fan of Chevalier's historical fiction. I hope you find something to suit your fancy:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved Elphaba and if you did too, you will probably be disappointed in Son of a Witch. I listened to it so maybe that was some of the problem, but still, it doesn't live up to Wicked. I've heard the one after it is better but I think I'd rather reread Wicked!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!