Sunday, May 13, 2012

Sunday Salon - The Mother's Day Edition


Happy Mother's Day! It has been a heck of a weekend, so it's nice to sit back and take it all in for a few minutes. I sent Greyson off with Chuck yesterday and settled in to spend EIGHT HOURS working on a project for dear, sweet work. There's a good chance that effort will continue today, but for now it's up in the air, and I'm taking a break.

Mom and I exchanged gifts this morning. She's a complete perfume freak, so I bought a nice Burberry Body set for her. She bestowed upon me a huuuuge bag of Lindor Truffles, a new coffee mug in turquoise and yellow that says "Mom's Sippy Cup" (perfect), and a really cute pair of turquoise and shell earrings. Greyson deemed them all "pretty" and the rest is history. :D

Mother's Day means more to me this year somehow than ever before. To be honored with a day of love and pampering is such a sweet gesture, and I'm having a lot of fun showering good stuff on my mom as well. I whipped up a breakfast casserole this morning and I have a crock pot full of "Angel" Chicken cooking right now -- thanks to the Crockin' Girls cookbook from my previous post.

While I spent a good, solid eight hours working yesterday, I took a break last night to finish up Voyager. And wow. Just WOW!!! So very good. It's really taking everything I have not to jump straight into Drums of Autumn. I'll probably break long enough to read a couple of other books and then get back to the series. A review of Voyager is coming later this week.

So now I'm faced with the task of choosing a new book! Something I haven't really thought of for almost a month. These are the contenders:



Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson has been on my to-read list forever now. I finally noticed it as I was browsing the library's Overdrive selection and went ahead and downloaded it.

The Red Garden by Alice Hoffman was a gift from Stacy over at Stacy's Books back during the Book Blogger Holiday Swap. I've read a couple of the stories already, but I'm getting in the mood to jump back in.

Corsets & Clockwork: 14 Steampunk Romances edited by Trisha Telep. I've been threatening to jump into steampunk for a while now. When I saw this book reviewed over at Girlxoxo.com I knew I had to give it a go. Thanks for the recommendation, Tanya Patrice! This was a Mother's Day gift to myself -- just downloaded it. hehe

After such long, epic reading, short books and short stories are incredibly appealing. We'll see which one of these goodies "sticks." I think I'll go find out right now!

What are you doing this Mother's Day Sunday?

28 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day, Andi! It sounds like a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day to you. I hope you get to take the rest of the day off to relax. Enjoy the day with your mom and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lu! Didn't get to take the rest of the day off, but I did salvage some of it. :)

      Delete
  3. I know it might sound weird, I want to dig a few more weeds from my backyard and then do a bit of quilting. Family plans to take me out for an early dinner and then maybe we'll try a new icecream place. A blog post would also do well today. Already visited my mom and took her a small treat or two which were well received.

    I have read the first 4 of the OUtlander series and enjoyed the first 3 the most.. No recommendation on which of the three books to read next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds perfectly wonderful to me, Heather! Those laid back homey things are my favorite.

      I've heard #4 in the Outlander series is not outstanding. Looking forward to giving it a try.

      Delete
  4. Happy Mother's Day!

    My boys have completely pampered me today. They secretly got me dark sweet cherries to cut into my yogurt this morning, then gave me a set of kettlebell weights and a camelbak water system, both of which I'd wanted for a long time! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda! Glad your boys have treated you right. I saw the pic of your gifts on your blog. Very cool!

      Delete
  5. Happy Mother's Day! I've got Major Pettigrew's Last Stand on my reading list for the week, too--looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! I settled on Corsets and Clockwork for now, but Major Pettigrew is not far behind.

      Delete
  6. Happy Mother's Day, Andi! My guys took me out to dinner last night since Carl is headed out of town on business. Vance and I will probably grab a bite to eat later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy! Sounds like you and Vance will have a good time. Glad you got to celebrate early with Carl.

      Delete
  7. Happy mother's day! I hope you get a chance to relax and have fun with your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Mother's Day! Angel Chicken . . . mmmm, sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! The Angel Chicken was very good. Brought my leftovers with me to work today.

      Delete
  9. Happy Mother's Day! It sounds like a wonderful one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We went to The Avengers and then out for pizza with Kiddo and girlfriend. Double date! Fun! Hope you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun, Nancy! What did you think of The Avengers?

      Delete
  11. I spent a couple of hours with my mom's parents this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good, Melissa. Get that family time in there. :)

      Delete
  12. Happy mother's day Andi! I'm glad that it was a special day for you. We took a trip down to the NW Hwy HPB yesterday morning. Perfect. ;)

    Yup--I vote short. Go with Pettigrew? Though I say that and haven't read any of them. You guys almost have me convinced to start Outlander on audio but WOW is that a commitment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Trish!! And woohoo for NW Hyw HPB!!! My favorite place (nicknamed The Crack House). Working on Corsets and Clockwork now, but I'll dip into Pettigrew, too. I think I'm gonna need to space out these stories.

      Delete
  13. Sounds like you had a great Mother's Day! We celebrated a day early, as the weather forecast was more favorable on Saturday, and spent the day at the ocean! I even squeezed in some reading while enjoying the sand in between my toes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty good, Stephanie! Glad you got to celebrate. The day early is worth it for good weather. :)

      Delete
  14. First, a happy (belated) Mother's Day to you! I can feel your joy from over here, and I love the sippy cup for Mommy!

    I'd go with Major Pettigrew's Last Stand if I were you, as that's the only one of the three I've read. I enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy belated Mother's Day! Sounds like it was a wonderful one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!