Sunday, May 06, 2012

The Sunday Salon - On Impending Freedom

FREEDOM! That's right. I have been held in the shackles of online grading all weekend, and now I'm FREE! Yesterday was a big day all around. My mom, Greyson, and I started the day with FoxFest 2012 -- a festival here in our small town. Chuck and the Rockets joined us later in the morning for vendor booths, turtle races, good friends, and lots of food. Fried catfish for me and Fire Department BBQ for the rest. It was nothing short of delicious, but it was also super hot. I was glad to flee back to the house and the AC.

Even though I was ready to drop after half a day in the heat, mom was kind enough to keep Greyson occupied while I graded a class worth of research papers. Step 1 toward freedom.



We had a plan all along for me to spend today grading and GET IT DONE before the due date on Tuesday. I got to Starbucks this morning around 9 and I'm finished up now, taking a few minutes to blog. Just six hours worth of research papers, final exams, and gradebook tomfoolery. But I'm DONE, DONE, DONE. Did I mention I'm done? I need a couple of those cocktails now.

While I love teaching online classes, and while I'll miss the money over the summer, it's always a liberating feeling to have a break. Just one job (sorta, teaching one online class) over the summer months. What does this actually mean? MORE READING! I love caps today...sorry!


In reading news, I've just about polished off Dragonfly in Amber this week. I think it's safe to say I never have an excuse to bitch about not reading. I finished a 700-page book last week, an 800-page book this week. No more excuses. 250-400 page books should be a cake walk.

No idea what I'll read next. While I have a feeling I'm gonna want to jump straight into Voyager, I may force myself to chill a minute with another book. I have tons of goodies on my shelves. Like these...



On that note, I'm out of here and off to curl up with the rest of Dragonfly. 150 gut-wrenching pages left.

Tell me...what would you recommend I read next? 









28 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being free! I've been hearing such good things about Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk. I am interested to see what you think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!! I wasn't terribly excited about it when I received Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, but then I realized it's BEN FOUNTAIN! And I haven't read any of his stuff, but I want to. And he's from Dallas! Shame on me. lol

      Delete
  2. I wish I had a break coming up. :( Don't worry, though, I'm still hitting the cocktails...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, good for you, Tasha. That's how it should be.

      Delete
  3. You deserve a break, and summer is the perfect time. I've been editing online during weekends and it's kind of a bummer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, weekend work is a huge drag. Ack!

      Delete
  4. Woo hoo! Congratulations!! Enjoy the reading and the freedom and the cocktails! So jealous that you're grading the online classes and I'm taking them! ;) I'll be free in a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate! And those classes will be over before you know it. :D

      Delete
  5. VOYAGER!

    Oh, sorry for yelling at you. :) I just want you to get to that ONE SCENE so we can discuss. This is uber-important.


    I'm jealous you're all done. I just counted and I have 29 school days left. Boo. But I am getting a lot of grading done today, and I feel pretty accomplished (I got one set of essays done...3 to go).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allie, it is SO WORTH THE YELLING! I cannot wait to get into Voyager and find out about this scene. Seriously in love with these books. Now I understand how people have series books they re-read yearly. That's gonna be me.

      Good luck riding it out 'til the end of school! You can dooo it!

      Delete
  6. I think I have 28 days of school left. I hope that will be enough to finish Midsummer Night's Dream.

    I say read whatever the heck you want to or even nothing at all. That's what freedom means. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo! 28 days! You can do it! And I have never read A Midsummer Night's Dream. I started it when I was 15 but my attention span was short back then. And it was NOT Romeo and Juliet.

      Delete
  7. Woo hoo! Here is a hearty pat on the back! Now hand over some of that Firemen's BBQ and fried catfish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on! The BBQ and catfish were both de-lish.

      Delete
  8. You have six hours? I have six weeks 'till Summer. Normally I'm greatly relishing the break, but this year I'm half mournful because my students are so dear to me. I had a very special bunch thus year. For example, I looked at the skeleton I'd drawn on butcher paper so they could memorize the bones and saw that he was wearing a tie. A few hours later he had a red rose between his teeth. I'm teaching, they're dressing the skeleton. You gotta love it.

    I couldn't get into a book following Outlander, but you're inspiring me to try again with your exuberance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your class sounds SO amazing. The skeleton bit made me giggle out loud. Don't you just love those really amazing groups?

      I am SUPER exuberant about these books. No idea why they're working for me so thoroughly, but I'm tickled about it.

      Delete
  9. Oh, read the Ben Fountain please!!! I read his short stories and LOVED them. He'll be coming to Jackson, soon, so I'd like to read a trusted opinion.

    Bellezza's message kills me. I want to be around kids who decorate skeletons with ties and red roses in their teeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will! The ARC came beautifully, funly (it is a word now) packaged. I'm easy to entertain -- give me something shiny.

      And me too re: Bellezza's message. My students never do cool stuff like that. lol

      Delete
  10. Yay for being free! I have two weeks left until the end of the semester. If I can pull off a 6-hour day, that would be great. I love the title of I Am the Executioner so that's the one I'm recommending. Enjoy your freedom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wooohoo! Home stretch for you, my friend. And I love that title, too!

      Delete
  11. Wow, I can't believe you've gotten through Dragonfly so quickly. I love that book! I think once you finish you'll have a hard time NOT rushing into Voyager, but I'd also recommend a breather and something completely different. I almost never read series books all in a row and her books are really dense.

    Can't comment on your other books, but enjoy your freedom! Sounds nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it either! Me, who is scared to death of chunky books. And you're right. As soon as I finished last night (early this morning!) I downloaded it so it'd be waiting for me today. Cannot wait!

      Delete
  12. I am jealous of your grading status! My students have their final projects due today, but I was grading free all last week, and I've already read four and a half books this month: coincidence? I think not. I, too, am looking forward to the break from teaching (and grading) this summer, and I hope my reading pace stays like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Carrie! I only have one summer class, and to me that's like a total vacation. lol Enjoy your freedom soon!

      Delete
  13. Yay, congratulations on your freedom! And, look at you reading all those chunksters.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hurray for freedom! And hurray for great books!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know EXACTLY how you feel about the new freedom--I'm just on the other end of things! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on FREEDOM. What a great feeling. Those cocktail pictures are tempting me...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!