Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: NOT About Books!?


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!


As much as I love lists about books, I'm pretty stoked about this week's topic! Top Ten Blogs/Websites NOT About Books! I do read quite a few blogs outside of the book blogosphere, and I'm a creeper so I like to know what others are reading, too. Fun!


Fashion


The Plus Side of Me written by Rebecca. This is my favorite plus-size fashion blog. Rebecca is a fantabulous blogger, has beautiful clothes, and often participates in Five Take where five bloggers take on a trend in fashion, showcasing how they put their own spin on it. Did I mention that Rebecca's dog, Lola, and my Daisy could be twins? Freaky!


Lilly's Style is another favorite fashion blog. She tackles a lot of current and hard-to-pull-off trends like those pesky bright-colored pants. Gorgeous combinations of color and texture here. Go, Lilly!


The Chloe Conspiracy is yet another tantalizing fashion blog. I particularly love the diversity of this one. Chloe highlights upcoming sales as well as her own fashion posts. She's very Audrey Hepburn in the way she wears classic pieces, but they're often in funky colors and mixed with interesting combinations of patterns. I get lots of daring ideas here, even if I'm not always daring enough to carry them off. 


Photography and Design


I recently stumbled upon Andrea's (great name!) blog, Hula Seventy. Andrea describes herself as a photographer, writer, teacher, dancer. A Jacqueline of all trades (my words). I love this blog for its quirkiness and distinctive style. Go, Andrea!


Creature Comforts by Ez celebrates the little things in life. I love it for color and design inspiration. Again, it's one of those blogs that has a permeating presence. I feel like browsing there gives me a great idea of WHO Ez is. Good stuff!


Sunny Vanilla is written by Jen, a stay at home mom who loves photography, design, interior decorating, crafting, cooking, writing, and now sewing. Awesome blog. Just go read and bask in it. 


Food


Rachel Rappaport's Coconut and Lime is a great food blog that I enjoy for its international flavors and interesting recipes. Rachel is also the author of the Everything Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook, which I need to add to my collection.


Skinny Taste is written by Gina Homolka, and I love this foodie blog because it doesn't skimp on the awesome. Healthy does not have to be boring. 


Pink Parsley is written by Josie, who has A DEGREE IN CHEMISTRY! I'm sorry, I sit in awe. I was barely able to crawl through my chemistry class my junior year of high school. But Josie loves the chemistry and logic behind a recipe, and she cooks seasonally. 


The Curvy Carrot is a really unique food blog. The subtitle says it all: "Healthy and Indulgent Meals Dangling in Front of You." From the About page: 
My philosophy on food: I don’t eat meat.  I eat eggs, I drink milk, and I inhale cheese.  I eat seafood every once in a while.  I’m not a vegan, although I do try to post recipes that are vegan-friendly.  
This blog is beautifully photographed (like all of these, actually) and I love the unique recipes that I would never think of in one gazillion years.  




And there you have it! Blowing the blog horn for blogs about cool stuff other than books. Because there really is other cool stuff out there. I know, I didn't catch on for a while either.  :D

24 comments:

  1. I'm OBSESSED with Skinnytaste. It definitely made my list as well. My fiance loves it as well because it, in his words, "doesn't taste like healthy food." haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, love that quote from your fiance.

      Delete
  2. I need to start following some fashion blogs so I can learn how to dress. Thank you for these, they are added to my reader!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got into the fashion (sounds so pretentious) after I had Greyson. Felt like crap and wanted to look better. Then I got HOOOOOKED.

      Delete
  3. I really dislike skinnytaste. Everything she makes seems to be made out of fake food. I have only looked at her desserts actually, but those all seemed to be cake mix, fat free cool whip and stuff like that. I would much rather have a real dessert once a month and fruit the rest of the time than a fake chemical bomb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Lulu. I hadn't noticed with the desserts, but I've been steering clear of those in general (boo, hiss!). Will have to take note. I do love cool whip, but I try to steer clear of it, too.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I'm anonymous I guess.

    lulu

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm adding Skinny Taste, Curvy Carrot and Pink Parsley to my food blog list :) I've seen Skinny Taste on a couple of other lists today as well. I'm loving this week's theme too!! Unfortunately, I haven't accomplished much today since I've been on the computer more than I have been off :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, I was busy yesterday, but I've burned lots of hours checking out lists today. Good stuff I've found. Enjoy the blogs!

      Delete
  6. I loved seeing all your fave non-food blogs. And all of them, except Skinny Taste are new to me. Makes me realize how much I've changed from reading mostly food & fitness blogs to now book blogs - although I wouldn't have it any other way :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I wouldn't have it any other way either. I enjoy dabbling in lots of blogs, but always a book blogger at heart.

      Delete
  7. Yay, thanks for sharing your favorites! I'm always so interested in these types of posts. Just as I trust your recommendations for books, I know your favorite blogs will be a hit with me, too! :) It's so funny how entrenched I am with the book blogging world . . . I do really forget what else is out there. Though I do frequent a bunch of foodie blogs. Can't help myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Meg. Enjoy the blogs and I hope you find something you adore!

      Delete
  8. Skinny Taste has popped up on a lot of Top Tens this week. I'll have to spend some time over there.
    Angela @ AJ Arndt Books Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good stuff, Angela! Enjoy!

      Delete
  9. I SO need to subscribe to Skinny Taste. I've come across a few of her recipes on Pinterest and they've all been delicious. Most of my non-book blogs that I follow are quilting blogs. A few photography and a few cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish, I could not be a quilter, so I so so so respect ya! The tiny work makes me crazy and my hands get all crone crampy.

      Delete
  10. I miss you Andi! How've you been?

    I saw a couple of your posts on FB and have to ask if you've read Fifty Shades of Grey and, if so, what you thought. I'm supposed to read it with a book club of mine but found it hard to get past the first 50 pages or so... Does it get better/worth it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April! Miss you, too, girl! Things have been good here. Just busy busy with a new job. :)

      I haven't read 50 Shades yet. I'm on the library holds list which is a gazillion miles long. Based on what I've head/read in snippets or parodies so far I'm almost certain I'll want to stab my eyes out when I read it. I desperately want to know what your book club has to say about it when you guys are done discussing!

      Delete
  11. I don't subscribe to any of these, but might start! I love Post Secret and Joshilyn Jackson's blog, Faster Than Kudzu. The former can be incredibly sad and frightening sometimes, but the latter is all about the funny. Check them out sometime and see if you agree!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Boy are my lists of sites to follow growing rapidly with this week's topic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun list, Andi. I've added Skinny Taste to my favorites and have already pinned a couple of her recipes. Now to make time to start sampling what I pin! I was a complete failure with Trish's Pin Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm off to check out a few of these! I could definitely use some help in the fashion dept!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for all of the links to the non-bookish blogs. I'm almost afraid to click on too many of them and add more to my Reader but I will...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!