Saturday, May 12, 2012

Weekend Cooking: Crockin' Crazy


Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend.You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post. 
-- Hosted by Beth Fish Reads

Good morning Weekend Cookers! I haven't participated in this event regularly because, quite frankly, I don't cook nearly as much as I used to. BUT, the review I have in store for you today is helping change that.

Disclosure: I WORK FOR THE PUBLISHING COMPANY. But I still really like this book. I waffled, but I did decide to offer you my thoughts on it.

That's how I came by a copy of this book, so I thought I'd just put it out there right from the start.


Moving on, The Crockin' Girls started grabbing attention with their Facebook page back in 2011 when they quickly amassed up to a million "likes." What began as a recipe group for other moms turned into a Facebook sensation. Now they have this fantabulous cookbook on the market and a website heavily populated with recipes and advice on slow cooking...as well as a blog and other tidbits about their lives. Their goal is to get families back to the table by saving time on the culinary preparations.

The recipes are simple and straightforward. I usually have all of the ingredients in my house on any given day. I can very easily plan my week's meals with these recipes, pick up the miscellaneous items I need on the weekend, and I'm set to crock a couple of meals a week. With leftovers it really helps flesh out the food situation when I don't feel like stopping by the store after work.

Beyond the easy recipes, this is a beautiful book. Every recipe has a corresponding pic and each page is colorful and visually textured with backgrounds and life. It's just lovely and stunning. The book itself is solidly made, and while it's hardcover, it easily lays open, flat on the counter while cooking.

Finally, there's a nice range of recipes: breakfast items, appetizers, large sections for meat-related entrees, sides, an Italian section, and finally, dessert! So far I've cooked a wooonderful breakfast casserole, a pot of "Cowboy Beans" and big plans to make some of the Italian dishes soon.

While the chapters themselves are a good range and variety, within each chapter some of the recipes got a little repetitive. There's a lot of Velveeta in this cookbook and there's a lot of chocolate lava cake. Not for the slim and trim for sure, but there is a "Crocking Lite" section on the website to help out with this issue.

So there ya have it. Having this book in my hot little hands has certainly helped get more hot meals on the table, and for that I am eternally grateful. I've had a great time picking out which recipe I'll crock next.

Here's to more weekend (and weekday) cooking!

19 comments:

  1. Oh, I love my crock pot. *goes to add to wish list*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun one, Kelly. Very easy. I do find myself tweaking a lot of the recipes, if just slightly. But I love that I can do that.

      Delete
  2. I rarely use my crock pot because I don't have a lot of great recipes for it. This cookbook sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it if you get ahold of it, Kathy!

      Delete
  3. I am a crockpot addict! They are so great for working mothers!

    I will definitely look for this book, and also for the FB page..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cooking in my crock pot. I don't think my family would ever have a hot meal otherwise! I'll have to check this cookbook out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I know the feeling, Kathleen!

      Delete
  5. I do like using my crockpot, but Velvetta isn't coming into my kitchen anytime soon (can we even buy it here?). Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I don't blame you, Heather. I do find that the recipes are easy to alter (which I do).

      Delete
  6. I like using my crock pot but I tend to stay away from cookbooks that rely on Velvetta and cream of ... soup. I'll see if my library has a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, same here. It's given me some motivation to make batches of my own, homemade "cream of" soups in an effort to go a little healthier. I do find the recipes straightforward and easy to change.

      Delete
  7. I don't have a crock pot, but would like a quicker way of fixing meals. Velveeta isn't in the cards, though. I'd be more tempted if they made a book of the Crock Light recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, the website is the best place for Crockin' Lite, though I do feel I can tweak a lot of the recipes very easily.

      Delete
  8. Ooh, I'll have to check this out. I have a slow cooker, but I don't use it nearly as much as I would like. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crockpots are the best! Looks like one to go on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. *crying...still for not being able to attend signing*

    I definitely think I need this book. Especially as I already feel akin to those Crockin' Girls as I lived outside of Brownwood for a while after Scott and I got married. Plus I NEED to have lots of color pictures with my cookbooks. I've had a crockpot book for years that I've used once...I blame it on lack of pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!