Friday, June 29, 2012

The Last Werewolf Deliberation

I've mentioned that I've been plenty brain-fried here lately. It seems to be getting better by the day (hallelujah!) but my reading has still been super slow in the meantime. In the name of reading what I want, when I want, I have another admission.

I re-read Fifty Shades last week. Because I could. not. read. anything of substance. So there. I've said it. The air is clear. I'm reading what I want, when I want. Booyah! I practice what I preach! 

But in the name of moving on to bigger and better (and less shittily written) books, I've been contemplating what would get my reading mojo going. The winner is...


If last year was the year of literary fiction for me, this year is the year of genre lusciousness. Give me romance, give me sf, give me fantasy, give me historical. Nothing is off limits: BDSM, time travel, witches, and werewolves, and goblins, OH MY!

I hadn't really any interest in reading this one until I had a bored afternoon to ruminate and then I remembered that one (all?) of the Bookrageous podcasters read it eons ago, and I thought, "Hmm, brutality and philosophy and some sensational sex? Why not!" 

I'm not very far in, but one thing was achingly obvious from the beginning -- Duncan has an interesting style. The cadence of the writing was almost offputting  in the first ten pages, but now that I'm settling in with Jake Marlowe, I kinda dig it. Although, at times it strikes me that this book vacillates between oozy pretension and utter beautifulness. 

Wanna see?
It was still snowing when I stepped out into the street. Vehicular traffic was poignantly stupefied and Earl's Court Underground was closed. For a moment I stood adjusting to the air's fierce innocence. (14)
Fiercly innocent air? That makes me think Glen Duncan is a writerly self-gratifier. But then bits like this make me reconsider:
Adrenaline isn't interested in ennui. Adrenaline floods, regardless, in my state not just the human fibres but lupine leftovers too, those creature dregs that hadn't fully conceded transformation. (15)
I love odd analogies and eye-opening, fearless prose, but there is also a sense of get-to-itiveness that I admire. The second passage is an example of this. The first passage is a waste of words.

And that's it. I'm going to finish up The Secret Garden over the next couple of days and see if I can become engrossed in The Last Werewolf. Off to a decent start, I'd say!

What are you reading? Anything that leans toward one particular genre or another?

17 comments:

  1. I just finished A Discovery of Witches and loved it so much. Funnily enough, I borrowed The Last Werewolf from from the library yesterday but haven't started it yet. Not sure about that writing style but I will give it a try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do let me know what you think if The Last Werewolf "sticks." I'm about 100 pages in and I'm really liking it now -- still a few overblown moments, but on the whole it's enjoyable.

      Glad you enjoyed A Discovery of Witches! I just started Shadow of Night. Trying to hold off and wait for my reading buddy (Heather from Capricious Reader) to join me. It's tough to wait!

      Delete
  2. I have The Last Werewolf on the shelves, but if there are a ton of passages like that first one you posted - dear me. I'm not sure how long I'll last. Those kinds of ridiculous prose passages where the author appears to be creating their own particularly ludicrous language and phrase turning is my biggest literary pet peeve of ALL TIME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brooke, it gets better. Thank God. I wouldn't have made it much further otherwise. There are still some things that come off as inauthentic, but they're not as frequent. And I like the werewolf lore in this one so far.

      Delete
  3. "Vehicular traffic was poignantly stupefied.."

    Huh??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what I said. The stupid lessens a lot.

      Delete
  4. I was actually going to ask you earlier what you were reading. This post answered my question. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL Softdrink said it for me. That first sentence definitely sounds pretentious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant "first paragraph". Poignant stupefaction is a new concept to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that was new for me too, Nancy. Wasn't a fan but it seems to have ironed out a lot in the later pages.

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed I, Lucifer, so I am sure I will enjoy this one. I need to get this soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I tossed I, Lucifer. It made me feel icky. lol

      Delete
  8. Booyah!!! Love it! I snorted my coffee over your "less shittily written" comment. I have a comp I textbook with an essay in it called "Shitty Essays." I swear I'm gonna assign it the last semester before I retire. I'm tempted every semester.
    I'm a fan of the canine/werewolf genre so I might pick this up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Patti. Snorts are the highest compliment. Is the Shitty Essays essay by Anne Lamott? She has something like that in Bird By Bird. I used it when I taught at a university where it was harder to get into trouble. lol

      Delete
  9. I own this one and you are making me want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! Then we can talk about it.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!