Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A Victorian Celebration and an E-Book Happy Dance

I'm so thankful to Allie over at A Literary Odyssey for hosting A Victorian Celebration over the course of June and July. I've been in a mode of reading contemporary fiction lately, and the push to read Victorian lit brought me to The Secret Garden.

Even though I had issues with the ending of that one, it was a great reading experience and I was reminded of what I love most about Victorian lit: the atmosphere!

While I don't think I'll get around to more Victorian novels before July is over, my appetite is officially whetted. Here are some of the books I'm keen to tackle throughout the rest of the year (and probably spilling over into next year).

North and South
A Tale of Two Cities
The Woman in White
Heather and I have decided we'll tackle Gaskell for our next classic buddy read. Neither of us have ever read Gaskell and a number of you on Twitter assure us that North and South is the place to start!

I read A Tale of Two Cities when I was 17, and it's high time for a re-read. As much as I loved it back then, I'm almost certain I'll appreciate it even more now.

The Woman in White has been sitting, unloved and unfinished, on my Nook for ages. Well, I do sort of love it already even though I never got around to finishing it. This is high priority, people!


Finally, Heather introduced me to Girlebooks.com ages ago. But I'm kind of a bonehead sometimes and I hadn't explored its full glory until recently. Now that I understand and appreciate it, I've downloaded QUITE a few e-books. Not all Victorian by any stretch, but awesome and written by some kickass women. Behold...

Daddy Long Legs by Jean WebsterThe Enchanted Castle by E. NesbitGirl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-PorterMemoirs of Court of Marie Antoinette by Madame CampanRoast Beef, Medium by Edna Ferber
And the best part is that many of these beauties are free! And they come in a variety of formats to suit your e-reader. I'm really excited and can't wait to download more! Note: I also got my copy of North and South from the site. Woohah!


Have you read any Victorian lit lately? How about great books by women writers?


19 comments:

  1. I've been loving the Vic. Celebration too. I didn't make it to North and South though, so I'd love to read along with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, Melissa! I think we'll probably start in a week or two. You're welcome to read along. I'll post a schedule if we come up with one. hehe

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any Victorian Lit lately but would love to read Woman in White which has been languishing on my shelves for ages and also Tale of Two Cities which I committed to read ages ago and then never did! I'm looking forward to hearing more about what you read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both very good (from the part of The Woman in White I've read). Looooved A Tale of Two Cities. Hoping you have a chance to get back to them!

      Delete
  3. As if I needed another excuse to download more books onto my kindle app. BUT I love the website so I'm thrilled you shared. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I do what I can for you all, Christina!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the info on Girlebooks - what a great site! I love the obscure titles, and it is nice to be able to get them for free in a format that works with my Nook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it, Sharon? Instant love for me. Lots of authors I'm interested in but a lot of books I've never read.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read Victorian Lit in forever! I'll check out Girlebooks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. North and South! North and South! North and South!

    I love that book! I know some find the political/religious commentary a little slow, but please give it a try?

    And I use Girlebooks all the time. Except that I haven't read many classics lately (that needs to change).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Iris! I like religious and political commentary so I'll likely find it fascinating. Definitely going to give it a try. Heather, my friend Shannon, and I will be reading it soon.

      Delete
  7. I'd never heard of Girlebooks. I checked it out and found a few titles I've been wanting to read.

    I did some Victorian reading with Allie too and it's been really fun, but I'm burned out. I will probably get back to it in a month or so. I have North and South on my shelf too and I've been meaning to get to it forever. I'm hoping I'll read it before the year is through. I hope you enjoy it. I've heard good things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found something you were looking for, Kristi!

      Looking forward to North and South. I've heard endless good things about it. :)

      Delete
  8. I need to get back to A Tale of Two Cities when I can. It was just starting to become very interesting when I had to put it down for a scheduled obligation, and I never got back to it. Knowing that we share a lot of the same reading tastes, I will tell you that the beginning is a bit difficult, but it gets better, and very, very intriguing. Good luck with all of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it when I was younger and I do remember the beginning being challenging. But I was impressed by Dickens' ability to make a large cast of characters and MANY conflicts very cohesive. Looking forward to a re-read.

      Delete
  9. I recently read The Enchanted Castle! I was surprised how easy it was to read, I was scared to death lol. Thanks for the link to girlebooks, I'll go look =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read A Tale of Two Cities when I was a sophomore in high school and I loved it. I think I'm due for a reread!

    I've had Woman in White on my shelf for many years (I think I added it to my stacks after reading about it on Heather's blog), but have yet to crack it open. Perhaps this year...

    Off to check out girlebooks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just finished an anthology called The Dead Witness by Michael Sims, victorian detective stories, quite good.

    I disliked Two Cities when i read it in 2009 but i loved The Woman in White in 2010! Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!