Monday, July 23, 2012

It's Monday! Reading, reading, reading...

It's Monnnnnday! What are you reading??? Hosted by Sheila over at BookJourney.


I finished up Shadow of Night last week. And boy, am I gonna have a review of that one coming up. Probably tomorrow, in fact. It wasn't all love, but it wasn't all blah either. 


I'm reading The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh now. I hadn't particularly expected to like this book, but so far I'm really enjoying it. The protagonist is an 18-year-old girl, Victoria, who's newly on her own in the world after being released from a group home when she timed out of the system. Now she has to figure out what to do with herself and that involves flowers. And someone she loved taught her the language of flowers. 


I don't like young, tortured protagonists, generally. I've read so many coming-of-age books and troubled teen books that I generally find them repetitive and formulaic. However, the addition of the "language of flower" helps add some interest to this one. I had never heard of the language of flowers. If you're as new to this as I am, check out a definition:
The language of flowers, sometimes called floriography, was a Victorian-era means of communication in which various flowers and floral arrangements were used to send coded messages, allowing individuals to express feelings which otherwise could not be spoken. 
Pretty cool! Now I'll be "eyeing" the flower arrangements in Victorian TV shows and novels. 


Click to embiggen.
I also usually don't like shifting narrative perspectives and time periods. This one jumps back and forth between Victoria's present and her past, helping to explain why she is the way she is. It's remarkably successful in this book. 


The good news is that this is my first read for a new-to-me book club. I will be joining Trish and the lovely ladies of Girls Night Out Book Club at a Real Bookstore on Thursday night to discuss this one. 


Finally, I'm already mentally gearing up for the upcoming North and South readalong!!!! Heather and I are already lining up some SWAG for participants to win over the course of the readalong. And I have to say, I think the grand prize is going to be pretty kickass. You should really join us if you're still waffling. 








14 comments:

  1. I just started When We Were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro, which is proving interesting. Also reading Mission Possible (non-fiction about successful charter schools in Harlem.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever read any of Ishiguro's stuff. He's on my list, though. Mission Possible sounds amazing!

      Delete
  2. I think you're right about the troubled youth/coming of age bit. It can be quiet repetitive. I can't join your read-along but I hope you guys have fun. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natasha, the troubled youth thing really does get old, but there's enough of the new and interesting in this book to keep me going. Sorry you can't join the readalong, but I hope you'll cheer us on!

      Delete
  3. I LOVED The Language of Flowers so much, and am glad that you are getting the chance to experience it. I am also anxiously awaiting my time to listen to Shadow of Night, but I am still in the middle of Wolf Hall, so that may take some time. I am considering joining the North and South readalong, but I am so bad at those, and I am afraid to fail. I think I will just go ahead and get the book, just in case!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really liking it and I didn't think I would. It's heartbreaking in spots, though. Almost painful to read. Looking forward to finishing it today.

      How's Wolf Hall going??

      Delete
  4. I loved The Language of Flowers and read it for my book club too. We had a great discussion about the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I bet the discussion tonight will be very good. So much to talk about in this book.

      Delete
  5. Those are 2 books that I want to read. Although I loved A Discovery of Witches, I wasn't too certain I wanted to read the next in the series. I can't wait to see what you say about it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanya Patrice, hope my review was helpful. I enjoyed parts of the book, but overall it left me with a sense of "meh."

      Delete
  6. Just started "The Book of Absinthe: A Cultural History" which so far is fascinating and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooohh, that sounds fascinating indeed!

      Delete
  7. I really liked The Language of Flowers. I'm glad you are as well :) Have a great week of reading!

    http://therelentlessreader.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!