Friday, July 20, 2012

North and South Readalong!

All the best ideas are born in the comments OR on Twitter. 


Heather and I decided to read Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South after we did some cavorting over on Girlebooks.com (Note: We'll be reading the Girlebooks edition of the e-book for this readalong!). Neither of us have ever read Gaskell, and according to the Twitter recs, North and South is THE place to start!!!


And another fun thing: we have a third ghostly host. My friend Shannon from work is jonesing to read some Gaskell, so she'll be joining us. If I can talk her into it, I'll guest-host some of her commentary here. 


THEN Melissa from Avid Reader's Musings expressed interest. SO we have ourselves a readalong. Huzzah!


You'll have to excuse us, but we're all really excited, so we're not wasting much time. Find the schedule below. Dates represent the days we will post/discuss the indicated chapters. I'll provide a Mr. Linky here so anyone who wants to participate can share their posts. I'm too lazy to add a Mr. Linky right now, so just state your intent in the comments area. 

  • Discussion 1: August 6th - Chapters 1-14
  • Discussion 2: August 13th - Chapters 15-27
  • Discussion 3: August 20th - Chapters 28-39
  • Discussion 4: August 27th - Chapters 40-52
Come on over and join us! Grab a button while you're at it. 

21 comments:

  1. Yes! I started reading North and South a couple of weeks ago but I've barely got beyond the first few pages. This seems like it'll be great motivation, I am totally in and will post about it in the next couple of days!
    www.anarmchairbythesea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Excited that you'll be joining us, Bex!

      Delete
  2. Gosh, I do love this book! (and the BBC movie too....) Maybe I should reread along with you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, Mel, do it! Do it! :)

      Delete
  3. I have had the lovely Vintage Classics edition sitting on my shelf for a year and a half so it is time. I'm so in. I'll miss the first check-in because I'll be on vacation, but I'll hit up the rest. Can't wait! Thanks for hosting this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY, Kristi! Glad to have you. Enjoy your vacation and will look forward to your thoughts on the book!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Yay, Teri!!! Glad to have you!

      Delete
  5. At first, I resisted. I'll be reading Gone with the Wind and a Laura Lippman title at the same time. Can I juggle this many reads? The answer - I can sure as hell try. Just downloaded the text onto Gladys (the Kindle) and can't wait to get started. I loved Wives and Daughters so very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAO, Brooke! A good ole college try is the best any of us can do! Glad to have ya!

      Delete
  6. I've always been intimidated by the sheer length of North and South, but please count me in! I've downloaded the Girlebooks version as well, and I'm really looking forward to August 6. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So excited!!! Can't wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man how I wish you were reading Ruth or Mary Barton instead....I've been itching for some more Gaskell but I don't think I have any Gaskell-rereading-mojo in me right now. What a good book though! At the very least I'll be following everyone's thoughts. Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. By coincidence I found North and South on sale in a charity shop last weekend and had put it on my To Be Read list. Didn't realise I would get the opportunity quite so quickly but delighted to hear there is read along just about to kick off. Looking forward to meeting you all..

    ReplyDelete
  10. In which a situation is presented where I almost resent my own challenge for its time committment...Did Gaskell write anything Japanese? (Kidding!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been on the fence about doing this, but what the heck--count me in! I taught a Victorian lit course a few years ago but haven't read any Gaskall, so this seems like a good chance to get acquainted with her writing. And it will be my first read-a-long!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am also new to Gaskell but can't wait to give her a try - with some moral support!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Crazy schedule permitting, I'm planning to participate! Off to order my copy now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. .thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just signed up on your Mr Linky. I'm so excited, I've been wanting to read this for some time now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I might (that's a very big MIGHT) join you. I'll have to see how my brain is doing. (Summer at the library is great and all, but it is also very brain-draining!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!