Sunday, July 01, 2012

The Sunday Salon -- Of Male Strippers and Books That "Stick"

I love post titles that will inevitably draw the riff-raff. Bring them on, I say.

SO why the title of this post? A couple of things. I had my first Girls Night since September last night. Girls Night is when my best friend from high school -- whom I have known since I was 16 and she was 14 -- gets me in trouble. We don't do this nearly enough, especially since we only live ten miles apart, but still we only seem to manage to do this fun stuff twice a year. She came over and helped me move recently, so I have a feeling we'll be doing this running about far more. I know I love it, so we should. We most certainly should.

Last night's Girls Night started around 5:30. I was still in post-house cleaning clothes and no makeup, so we sat around and shot the breeze for a while. Once I got off my duff and made myself presentable we sought refuge at our favorite local Chinese restaurant that recently got a LIQUOR LICENSE! And they have Saturday night Happy Hour.

Happy Hour watermelon sake. 
When we saw the prices on the drink menu we started mapping a game plan. We thought we'd get through two or three drinks UNTIL we saw the size of the $3 watermelon sake. OMG! Needless to say, we only got through one trough of sake each and Rachel's cheeks were a little numb by the time we were done. But it was delicious.

Next, we headed over to another neighborhood restaurant to meet up with Rachel's teaching partner and other buddies. There were six of us total, and we only got through one shot each before we realized Rachel didn't have the tickets to the main event: MAGIC MIKE!

Hellish driving (sober!) ensued as we raced over to her house to ruffle through the house for the tickets. With no luck, we headed over to the town next door to her grandfather's house to ruffle through his car (where she had previously unleashed her wallet). Thankfully, the tickets had fallen down beside the seat, and once we found them we were off again! We made it to the movie in plenty of time for:


Yes, six mid-thirties to mid-forties teachers ogling fictional male strippers. A good time was had by all even though the movie is JUST AS BAD AS YOU'VE HEARD. Maybe worse. But Matthew McConaughey was great. He really made the movie with his over-the-top flamboyant madness. And Channing Tatum has a nice...jaw.

And then it was midnight and I'd been up since 5:45am (thanks, Greyson!). So I came home, checked e-mail, read for six minutes, and passed out. A successful girls night, no doubt.

But on to the part where books stick. Because you're wondering about the books...I can feel it. I'm now kind of loving The Last Werewolf. I still occasionally want to kick Glen Duncan in the crotch for some of the overblown writing, but I'm getting to know Jake Marlowe and I like him. I also like the state of werewolfiness in this novel. Promising indeed.

What are you reading this Sunday? 


14 comments:

  1. Hmmm, yes, as a heterosexual male, after all that, I was wondering about the books. ;) I haven't even heard of that movie, but glad you had fun, even though it was an awful movie. Sometimes they can be the most fun...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yes they can. It was the perfect movie for a bunch of rowdy girls.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like fun! I may have to rent that movie just to see the eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot wait to see Magic Mike, even if it does disappoint. I'm bucking my convention to only read books a month of two before they're out and am reading a galley that doesn't come out until February 2013: Indiscretion by Charles Dubow. So far, it's entertaining and a lovely, suspend disbelief summer fun book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, once you started talking about fictional strippers, I forgot all about books and reading! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh, now I totally feel like riff-raff for not just reading this in my reader and moving on! You definitely deserved to have a Girls' Night - and bad or not, I think I'll definitely have to go to Magic Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I saw the title of the post, I knew "Magic Mike" was going to come into this at some point :-). That sounds like the perfect cheesy movie to go see with girlfriends.

    As for books, it is so hot here that I can't seem to get interested in anything I have on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  7. GNO rocks! Glad it was so much fun. And seriously, watermelon sake sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. GNO is the perfect (and perhaps only) time Magic Mike should be seen. And definitely after a trough of watermelon saki :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who needs the books with hotness like that to stare at? ;) Glad you had a great Girls Night Out! They are seriously needed every once in awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Vasilly and Kim...who cares about the books when there is eye candy to ogle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heehee, I want to see Magic Mike too, but am ashamed to admit it. Since I just did, I will leave it at that and say that The Last Werewolf is a really great read, and get ready for some surprises. It's definitely an intense book, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it. Nice Jaw indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha, your Saturday couldn't be any different mine. lol I am glad you had a good time! I only even heard of that movie on Friday from two guys.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Was Magic Mike really that Bad? Oh too bad ... I think I will pass the eye candy by
    http://www.thecuecard.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!