Sunday, July 08, 2012

The Sunday Salon - Of the Snot Monster and Completed Books

Photo borrowed from Bellezza
Happy Sunday, everyone. I wish I was as inquisitive and full of life as Mary on the cover of The Secret Garden, but alas I've been struck down by a summer cold. Methinks it started with the allergies, and it was all downhill from there.

Luckily, Chuck agreed to hang out with Greyson for a few days. While I had intentions of relaxing, the hard truth is that I would've squandered relaxation time away doing laundry, unpacking the last few boxes in my bedroom, straightening, refitting the couch slipcover, sweeping, mopping, and generally doing the chores that seem so much easier without a toddler nipping at my heels. As it was, my body laid the smack down and MADE ME RELAX. I've consumed my weight in Alka Seltzer cold meds, Afrin, and a mountain of kleenex. I feel better than I did Friday night but I don't know that that's saying a whole heck of a lot.

With the forced downtime came some forced reading, and I cannot complain about that! I also marathon-watched some Sister Wives on Friday night when I couldn't sleep because of the nagging sore throat and cough.

I finished off Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Secret Garden, which I really liked, though I do have some qualms with it. I'll post in more detail this week.

As soon as I finished TSG, I started ripping through Shadow of Night. This one is reading just as quickly as A Discovery of Witches. Somehow, Matthew's overbearing crap isn't quite as prominent (so far) in this installment. I suspect it's because there is so much more going on for our protagonist couple.

Finally, I'm already thinking about what I'll read next. I do think I'll return to The Last Werewolf and polish it off. But then I think I'll need to switch gears and change up my reading a bit to keep things fresh. I'm considering:

  • Wild by Cheryl Strayed
  • The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh for a Real Bookstore's book club discussion later this month where I'd get to hang out with Trish! 
  • Or maybe something off my shelves like John Irving's In One Person, which I won from Bellezza recently! Thank youuuu!
Decisions, decisions. 

I should also report some other surprising winnings. A while back, William Morrow hosted a Nook Simple Tough with Glowlight giveaway on Facebook. I entered, never thinking I'd win (and I already have a Nook). Well, I did win! And I tried out the new Nook but ultimately decided to pass it along to my mom. I'll do a proper review of the Nook with Glowlight, but I thought she would use this particular e-reader more than I would. So far, so good. She's been reading happily until she falls asleep in her chair. :D

What's coming up on the blog this week? Maybe a vlog review of The Secret Garden. Definitely my first installment of Romping Through American Lit with a post on Henry Roth and Call It Sleep on Tuesday. As for the rest of the week...who knows! Playing it by ear. 

Y'all have a great Sunday! 

33 comments:

  1. Ugh, summer colds are the worst! I hope you're back to your old self before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! Feeling better than I have but still pretty draggy and heavy-headed. Time for more meds. lol

      Delete
  2. Ick. I hate summer colds. I have been extra sniffly recently, but I can blame it on allergies and working outside.

    I've heard lots about Discovery of Witches and Shadow of Night, so perhaps I need to make time for those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allie, I think you would LOVE Deborah Harkness's novels. Seriously. Eat 'em up.

      Delete
  3. Sorry you're feeling ill - I had a summer cold last week and it knocked me off my feet for a bit. Take care of yourself.

    The Secret Garden was one of my favourite childhood books so I am immune to all criticism of it, no matter how well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam. "Knock me off my feet" is exactly it. Hate feeling yuck.

      And the criticism is totally academic/analytical. I can see that I would've considered this a completely successful, favorite book before I started picking them apart for a living.

      Delete
  4. LANGUAGE OF FLOWERS!!!! (No, I'm totally not yelling).

    Ok, back to reality. I hope that you're feeling better but maybe the higher forces were telling you that you NEED to be knocked down on your ass. I'm the same--with a few hours to spare without a babe I'm usually cleaning like crazy but our bodies need that time down. Get better soon--nothing worse than having a cold when it's 100 degrees out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, leaning heavily that way. Def need to meet the other women in this group and get all chattified with y'all.

      And you're right re: the knocking onto the ass. It's really the only way to make me slow down.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear that you've been sick, but glad you've been enjoying some downtime. Sister Wives seems appropriate for such occasions. I'd really love to see what you think of Wild since I'm refusing to read it myself!

    Can't wait for your post on Roth. I have Call It Sleep on my TBR shelf and know very little about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brooke! Why are you refusing to read Wild??? LOL Inquiring (nosy) bookworms need to know!

      Roth is totally interesting and enigmatic. Hope you'll like the post on Tuesday. And you're possibly the only person I know who's actually mentioned having him on the shelves!

      Delete
  6. I hate being sick. Glad you are moving around and feeling a little better. Thanks for sharing a bit about Twitter with me; I'm still trying to figure out how to use it in a way that it is helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! And I'm not sure Twitter is helpful. Whenever I post a new blog post I'll announced it on Twitter. I'll also share interesting articles (from my Facebook page), but mostly it's just another way to chat it up with my book buddies. Many wonky and wonderful ideas are born there over bookish discussions.

      Delete
  7. I can't believe you'd pass up on the Simple Touch with GlowLight. I just got one and I'm loving it. Of course, I'm addicted to Nook in general. I'll be interested to hear why you didn't decided to keep it...do you already have a Kindle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already have a Simple Touch Nook (without Glowlight). Typically, if I'm reading somewhere not light enough to see the Nook, I just read on the Nook app on my iPhone. This is the biggest reason I passed. I figured she could use it more than I would. She can't stand reading on her phone, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Loooove love love my Simple Touch.

      Delete
  8. I love the idea of the Nook with Glowlight. I have a Nook Color, and even on the brightness 3 marks up from the bottom, it sure does light up a room. I think a basic nook would be great for more regular reading, without all the tablet features draining the battery.

    I didn't think Matthew was as overbearing in Shadow of Night- or maybe its Diana being more aware of it and either dealing with it, or better to counteract it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, the Nook Simple Touch is really great for everyday reading. I think the Color or Tablet versions would be too much temptation to do things OTHER than reading. My iPhone is already a pretty good invitation to procrastinate. lol

      And I think you hit the nail on the head. Diana is a much better "handler" in this novel. :)

      Delete
  9. I made your mom a Nook cover! You shoulda let her pick the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noooo, I'm keeping it. SO glad they're the same size. Had already thought of that. lol

      Delete
  10. Oh, I vote for the John Irving selfishly because I have yet to read it myself and want to know how good it is! Have a great week, Andi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Wendy! That one is veryyyy tempting staring at me from my shelves.

      Delete
  11. In your present condition? I might hold off on In One Person. Maybe it's just me, but as sensitive as that book is, it became tedious by about page 300.

    Curious about your qualms regarding The Secret Garden. I'm dying to know what they were. :)

    As to anything which lights up when it comes to Nook? Not for me. I returned my Nook Tablet, which you may or not remember from a poisonous post I wrote awhile back. Nothing compares to the ease, and readability, of the Simple Touch (in my opinion).

    Hope you're feeling better soon. Summer colds? The worst!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bellezza! I definitely can't handle a reading slow-down right now, so maybe I'll hold off a bit on In One Person.

      Just posted my qualms!

      Love love love the Simple Touch. I'm glad it's working better for you. :D

      Delete
  12. I hope you feel better!

    I can't wait to hear about your analysis of The Secret Garden. I am considering starting A Little Princess as a read-aloud with my daughter as her first chapter book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Posted! It's not a very in-depth analysis, but with a book like The Secret Garden I feel like it's probably already been said elsewhere and likely over and over. I have A Little Princess on my stacks and am looking forward to it. I hope your daughter enjoys it if you go that route! :)

      Delete
  13. I've read some very interesting things about Wild so I'm anxious to see what you think. Read it first! :p Summer colds are the worst...are you reading The Stand? Couldn't help thinking about that when you described your coughing and snorting :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, me too! Some mixed bag comments but it sounds different enough and interesting enough to keep me going. It's been forever since I read any memoir or non-fic in general. Not read The Stand. I've seen all the comments about getting a cold right after, though! LOL

      Delete
  14. I hope you feel better soon! Most of us recently recovered from a summer cold too so I know how you feel. Now I really want to start reading Shadow of Night after reading just those few sentences about it! ;-) Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vasilly! Definitely jump into Shadow of Night. It's definitely entertaining!

      Delete
  15. Feel better soon! This weather isn't the best to promote healthiness. Congrats on your win (yay for mum!)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marie! This weather is killin' me!

      Delete
  16. I'll be reading The Language of Flowers, soon. Hope you're feeling better! Very cool about the Nook win (especially for your mother!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope by now you've recovered from your cold. There's nothing worse than feeling sick when it's so miserably hot outside. I had a nasty head cold when I was in Nashville and it was awful, but fortunately short-lived.

    I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on the GlowLight! We've been selling quite a few, but most people are looking at the Nook Color and Tablets. I bought Rod a Simple Touch last Christmas and he used it all the time but then wound up with an iPad (from work) and hasn't picked up the ST in months. I would, but I'm surrounded by stacks of unread books and can't justify paying for an ebook. Maybe we'll load it up with books and pass it on to Shaylyn...

    I recently read Wild and am in the process of writing up my review, but for now let's just say that I was entertained. And disgusted. And I would recommend it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Summer colds are the worst. I'm glad at least that you had some reading time you could fit in. I hope by now you are feeling much, much better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!