Sunday, July 08, 2012

The Sunday Salon - Of the Snot Monster and Completed Books

Photo borrowed from Bellezza
Happy Sunday, everyone. I wish I was as inquisitive and full of life as Mary on the cover of The Secret Garden, but alas I've been struck down by a summer cold. Methinks it started with the allergies, and it was all downhill from there.

Luckily, Chuck agreed to hang out with Greyson for a few days. While I had intentions of relaxing, the hard truth is that I would've squandered relaxation time away doing laundry, unpacking the last few boxes in my bedroom, straightening, refitting the couch slipcover, sweeping, mopping, and generally doing the chores that seem so much easier without a toddler nipping at my heels. As it was, my body laid the smack down and MADE ME RELAX. I've consumed my weight in Alka Seltzer cold meds, Afrin, and a mountain of kleenex. I feel better than I did Friday night but I don't know that that's saying a whole heck of a lot.

With the forced downtime came some forced reading, and I cannot complain about that! I also marathon-watched some Sister Wives on Friday night when I couldn't sleep because of the nagging sore throat and cough.

I finished off Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Secret Garden, which I really liked, though I do have some qualms with it. I'll post in more detail this week.

As soon as I finished TSG, I started ripping through Shadow of Night. This one is reading just as quickly as A Discovery of Witches. Somehow, Matthew's overbearing crap isn't quite as prominent (so far) in this installment. I suspect it's because there is so much more going on for our protagonist couple.

Finally, I'm already thinking about what I'll read next. I do think I'll return to The Last Werewolf and polish it off. But then I think I'll need to switch gears and change up my reading a bit to keep things fresh. I'm considering:

  • Wild by Cheryl Strayed
  • The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh for a Real Bookstore's book club discussion later this month where I'd get to hang out with Trish! 
  • Or maybe something off my shelves like John Irving's In One Person, which I won from Bellezza recently! Thank youuuu!
Decisions, decisions. 

I should also report some other surprising winnings. A while back, William Morrow hosted a Nook Simple Tough with Glowlight giveaway on Facebook. I entered, never thinking I'd win (and I already have a Nook). Well, I did win! And I tried out the new Nook but ultimately decided to pass it along to my mom. I'll do a proper review of the Nook with Glowlight, but I thought she would use this particular e-reader more than I would. So far, so good. She's been reading happily until she falls asleep in her chair. :D

What's coming up on the blog this week? Maybe a vlog review of The Secret Garden. Definitely my first installment of Romping Through American Lit with a post on Henry Roth and Call It Sleep on Tuesday. As for the rest of the week...who knows! Playing it by ear. 

Y'all have a great Sunday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik