Sunday, July 29, 2012

TSS: The Weekend That Wasn't

Oy! I need to go back to work to get some rest. It's been scorchingly hot in Texas (104-106), and that means if you go outside for anything, your life force is immediately sucked out through the skin. Despite the heat, I spent yesterday morning visiting one of my favorite places: Ham Orchards. I bought some yummies like buttermilk pie, peach salsa, fudge, and a container of their fantabulous chicken spaghetti. Note to mothers: hot weather and ice cream (even homemade peach and strawberry) along with a twisty car ride home WILL result in a sickly baby. Just sayin'.

So then, yesterday afternoon I was out and about with baby G. He was feeling much better, so we decided to pick up some basic groceries for the week. Low and behold my back tire went flat on Main Street. Thankfully, my mom and her special man friend came to our rescue. G stayed cool in the car while SMF changed the tire. Note: I am capable of changing a tire, but it's been, oh, about 15 years. In my defense I set a tire-changing record in driver's ed. My partner and I totally beat the boys.

So G and I proceeded to get the groceries, and when I got home I discovered that because of the wretched Texas heat, my house has shifted to the point that the front door won't lock. At all. I'll be watering my porch tonight in hopes that it settles back into working order. If you're a Texan, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Others, I'm sorry this makes absolutely no sense.

This morning was much more relaxing. G and I hung around the house in our jammies (instagram pics to prove it), and had a leisurely breakfast. We've done some additional running around (got two back tires on the car), and now he's hanging with his Daddy while I've graded papers at Starbucks. Will be headed home as soon as I type this.


Amidst all the madness, I have done some reading. I finished off The Language of Flowers, by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. I'm really looking forward to reviewing that one, and we had a fantastic time discussing it at Thursday night's Girls Night Out book club meeting. 




I also finished off a romance novel for the shiny and new Estella Society website. I'll be writing a column called the "Genre Cage Match." My first two novels pitted against one another in a battle to the death are romances. I won't reveal everything in my hand, but the first one is Highland Heat, by Mary Wine. *snort* Love that title, eh? Cover's not bad either. 

If you haven't yet checked out The Estella Society (or heard me Tweeting it up), go on over. The tagline is: A Reading Playground Built By Book Bloggers, For Book Bloggers. You can also find us on Twitter, Facebook, and elsewhere (username estellasociety on Pinterest, Instagram, Goodreads, etc.).

So that's my weekend. Or lack thereof. I'm exhausted and overdue for a nap. Too late today, so I'll have to turn in early. I hope you've all had a productive, joyful weekend!

12 comments:

  1. We're not in Texas but we have that problem with our back door from time to time, so I know exactly what you mean. Good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even try to buy ice cream in the summer...it's a runny mess by the time I get it home no matter how quickly I get it there :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh...the heat. Isn't it lovely? Growing up, we were never able to properly shut our backdoor during the summertime. Thank goodness for small towns and little crime. Really excited about The Estella Society and your column sounds full of win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've been hitting record temps in TN as well, though the last couple days have been nicer. I'm off to check out the Society!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the Queen of flat tires, can completely relate. I have roadside assistance from my insurance company and it has paid for itself many times over. I never have to worry about standing on the side of the road waiting, cause I know I'll get rescued.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What with the sick baby, the heat, the tire, and the door, it sounds like you had a fantastically challenging week this time around! I am so thrilled that you finished The Language of Flowers. It was one of my best reads this year. I loved it so. I also haven't forgotten my email to you about midwife books. It's been a little busy here, so I still have to scrounge the shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg, sounds like you had an exhausting weekend! Hope your week is quieter -- and a little more restful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's finally cooled down here a little bit in NJ. I think it was in the low 80s tonight and we let our little guy actually play outside for a while. Hope you get some good sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope the heat breaks for you soon, yuck :( I'm off to check out The Estella Society!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you enjoyed The Language of Flowers; I read it in spring and quite enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought it was hot here!! Ugh. I see it'll be even more miserable for you today and tomorrow. I'm beginning to wish for winter, which is not like me at all!

    I might be able to change a tire, but why? I have AAA just for that purpose. Sitting on the side of the ride, messing around with a tire jack is not my idea of fun!

    I totally understand the house shifting thing. Not sure if you saw my FB post a week or so ago, but I've been watering our deck. Yep. The soil under the deck never gets any moisture unless it rains. We haven't had any significant rain in weeks, if not months. So, I water the deck. :) Hope you can get your door locked!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man, what a rough weekend! The food sounds yummy, though :)

    Just popped on over to Estella Society - looks good! Can't wait to see what else you and Heather cook up.

    Hope you're staying cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!