Friday, August 03, 2012

Itching to Book-Buy!

Sometimes I have an itch to buy books, and the itch has been BAD lately.



The Song of Achilles was a book I originally sort of poo-pooed. I had my fill of anything Greek as an undergraduate, but since I've been reading reviews and some of my favorite bloggers have enjoyed this one, my curiosity is officially piqued.

Wild was a choice for my book club a bit ago and I hadn't actually attended the book club at that point, so I kept passing this one over. Since then I've also read enough reviews of this one that I think I'm willing to jump in and give it a try. It's been a while since I've read any non-fiction, too, so it could be a nice change.

Finally, the "it" book lately. Gone Girl. I cannot imagine what must be so enticing, mesmerizing, and surprising about this one, but I suppose I'll find out soon!

That's what's going on my Nook next. What are you salivating over? 



14 comments:

  1. I won a copy of Gone Girl and I wish it would get here already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought Gone Girl earlier this week and am already two-thirds through. It is a super fun read! Smart, well-written, and full of twists!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard only good things about these three, I see how you couldn't resist them. In particular The Song is meant to be excellent :)

    http://theteenagebookworms.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super exited about Gone Girl and The Song of Achilles. Not sure about Wild. Lots of people love it; lots of people hate it! Regardless, your Nook is getting lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was me last week when I broke down and bought Destiny of the Republic, Supergods, and Maine. I couldn't help it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gone Girl is a great read. I've been giving in to my buying cravings a little lately. I really want Seating Arrangements by Maggie Shipstead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really really really enjoyed The Song of Achilles when I read it. It has some problems, and it does deviate from the myth in a way that I know some people have found problematical, but I thought it was a great read.

    Haven't read the others, have heard mixed reviews about Gone Girl but may give it a try at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buy Song of Achilles immediately, you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have two of those out from the library right now. I finished Gone Girl today and Song of Achilles is coming up! I usually read books from the library first and then only buy the books I adored...although I have to emphasize that 'usually' part.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes the itch is just too strong!!... I just bought Gone Girl too {gasp! hardcover price tag!}.. but haven't read it because one of my good friends took it on her cruise. I can't wait til she gets back so I can crack it open myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As I enjoyed all three of these, I think they're wonderful choices! I liked Gone Girl and Wild a bit more than The Song of Achilles, and I think GG and Wild would be great, powerful reads for you right now. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Song of Achilles is an amazing book - I hope you choose to get that one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That damn book-buy itch! Thankfully, mine has been quiet lately. You will not regret giving into Gone Girl. It is fantabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait for your reactions to all of these! Achilles is quietly amazing...Gone Girl is in-your-face Holy Shit. Wild? Ahem. I prefer to forget that one. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!