Thursday, September 20, 2012

I'm Grateful For, Or How I Became Unemployed

Yes, you read that correctly. My super-cool-sounding social media job is no more. Truth be told, it's been a difficult road since I started at the new company. Without being disparaging, I'll just say that I've known for a while that it wasn't a good fit. Despite those concerns, I worked my tail off to do the very best job there was in me to do, and at the end of the day, they weren't displeased with my work or my work ethic -- it was a money thing and an industry thing and a cloudy view of what social media could do for them.

So here I sit, unemployed, a house and a kiddo to support, and I am surprisingly...fine. In the first hours after "the talk" with my boss, I was a mess. Many tears were shed. More a case of wounded pride than anything. A serious case of the what-the-hell-am-I-going-to-do's.

I am a worker. I am not a workaholic necessarily, but I tend to define myself by the work I do. Always have. It runs in the family. So to be jobless FOR THE FIRST TIME (against my will) since the age of 17 (I turn 32 in November) is a bit of a shock to the system. In fact, most of those years -- even in high school -- I had more than one job; sometimes as many as three. That being said, I'm still teaching five online classes. Thank goodness!

So what do I do with myself?

  • I will treat job hunting like a full-time job.
  • I'll tap into every available network I have (in-person, online, and I'm not too proud for nepotism)
  • I will try to head off the blues at the pass -- because I know ups and downs come with this territory
  • I will do everything there is that needs to be done. You do what you have to do. 
I expected to feel bad about this change. I expected to feel sad and mad and a little tortured. But the truth of the matter -- the sweet, wonderful, surprising truth -- is that in the past 48 hours I have felt more love, appreciation, and support than I ever would've anticipated. I am overwhelmingly grateful!

Thank you to all of you who reached out to me on Facebook, Twitter, and via e-mail. I've even had fellow bloggers and social media extraordinaires sending me job postings (quite a few of them). I've received virtual hugs, and sweet notes, and snarky jabs at those who let me go (thanks, guys!). And I feel ok. For the first time in a long time, I feel lighter, happier, more like myself. I know this is the beginning of something better for me. 

I'm grateful for...
  • The opportunity I had that will inevitably improve my resume
  • The friends and family and loved ones who have come to my side to make sure I'm doing ok
  • The offers of help
  • The prayers
  • The love
In the midst of what I expected to be some very dark days, I feel so much relief, confidence, and hope. Thank you, thank you, thank you. All of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik