Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Anya's Ghost

I swear, one can't swing a dead cat around the blogosphere without smacking Anya's Ghost. This is one of those widely read graphic novels that I somehow managed NOT to read until the most recent Read-a-Thon.

Even though I've seen this book pop up in every corner, I had surprisingly little idea of what it's about! That was probably a good thing since this little ditty turned out to be a wonderful surprise.

Anya is embarrassed of her Russian mother, not popular in school, doesn't make good grades, and has low self-esteem all around. Until the day she falls down a well and meets a ghost! The girl ghost fell down the well years before, and her skeleton is all that remains. She befriends Anya and manages to come home with her, begins helping her cheat on school work, and gives her dating advice. I know, a very worldly ghost -- and all is not as it seems.

This was such a fun little book, and it had a few surprises in store. It didn't go exactly as I thought it would when I started reading, and that is a good thing. I was also pleased to see that this is published by First Second books, the same folks who published one of my all-time favorite graphic novels: American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang.  Anya's Ghost upholds the same standard of solid storytelling and clean, easy-to-read, atmospheric illustrations. All-in-all it's a winning combo, and this was a fun, worthwhile way to spend an hour reading.

Have you read Anya's Ghost? Have you read any comparable graphic novels you'd recommend? Anything else from First Second, by chance? 

Rating:
Snuggle -- Skewer


Pub. Date: June 2011
Publisher: First Second
Format: Hardcover
ISBN-13: 9781596435520
Source: Library


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik