Monday, October 29, 2012

It's Monday! I'm Reading Lots!

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted by Sheila from BookJourney
Happy Monday, everyone! At this very moment I'm sitting in Starbucks, drinking a grande Blonde roast with hazelnut and vanilla. While I should be grading the latest round of essays to come in from my online classes, I'm writing to y'all instead. It's a good thing! I'm tickled to still have my reading mojo, and some library trips as of late have bolstered my stacks.

Currently Reading:


I'm determined to get a little further with my RIPVII reading goals before Wednesday, so I picked up Anna Dressed in Blood, by Kendare Blake, from the library yesterday. I've been seeing this one pop up EVERYWHERE with all the Halloween reading lists and all. While I'd never paid this one any particular amount of attention, it looked really good this time around and seemed like something that would suck me in and be a quick read. So far, so good! I started reading yesterday with limited time on my hands, and I've already wiped out roughly 50 pages. I am finding it supremely creepy, so it might be an afternoon, while-the-sun-is-up type of book. :D

I'm also getting ready to dive headlong into The Count of Monte Cristo for the Readalong we're hosting at The Estella Society. Chris was kind enough to post about a free audiobook version from Lit2Go. If you'd like to check it out, follow this direct link. The link to the audio version via iTunesU is over on the right-hand side of the page. 

I'm also still reading Affinity by Sarah Waters for RIPVII. This is a book I put down many months ago (in the midst of a readalong I was hosting...BAD ME!). As much as I loved The Little Stranger, this one is putting me to sleep! So much dialogue and navel-gazing from these characters. The voice of each narrator is indistinct, but hopefully a writer as masterful as Waters is doing this on purpose, and all will be revealed. Chris says it gets better near the end. I'm about halfway through and hoping to sprint through the rest in coming days. 

Up Next:


Like so many of you, I have a little library problem. I went in to ONLY get Anna Dressed in Blood, and of course one stop by the "new releases" shelf and I came away with Overseas by Beatriz Williams and A.S. Byatt's Ragnarok. Both look like fantastic reads and have been on my wishlist for a long time now. 

So, inquiring (nosy) bookworms want to know...what are you reading?





16 comments:

  1. I loved Overseas! I hope you enjoy it. I'm currently reading Man in the Blue Moon and Elegy for Eddie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teresa, I'm so glad! I've read nothing but good reviews of Overseas. Can't wait! Hope you're enjoying your current reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, thanks for reminding me to make sure I finish the RIP VII challenge by Wednesday!

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the library! How I love and dread it at the same time ;) I've banned myself from requesting books for the time being because I'm terribly behind on EVERYTHING!

    Enjoy your books this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna Dressed in Blood sounds like the perfect Halloween read! I'm reading The Promise of Stardust by Priscille Sibley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard loads of great things about Anna Dressed in Blood and it's a perfect pick for Halloween! Hope you have a great reading week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading The Wisdom of Psychopaths. Really.
    And I'm listening to Under the Dome.
    I can't quite seem to kick the horror kick.
    But. I bought The Count of MC today. No guarantees, but it's in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. John Grisham's kid lawyer book, Death Masks by Jim Butcher, Unbroken by Hildenbrand. I think that's mostly it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anyone who goes to a library can never come back with one book. You are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't like Affinity as much as I loved The Little Stranger. And I was doing really well at avoiding the library this year until recently. Now, well, between the Chapter Books Read-Along and my wanting to read a bunch of graphic novels and stuff, I'm a regular library user again. But I still have SOOO many books to read at home. Blah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am listening to Overseas right now, and I am torn about how I feel about it. I can't wait to hear you weigh in with your thoughts. It's interesting, but I'm not sure I'm sold yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved Anna Dressed in Blood, as well as The Count of Monte Cristo :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never even heard of Anna Dressed in Blood, but it sounds like a good one. I'll have to start making a RIP reading list for next year. Glad it's working for you. I need a book like that right now and my current one isn't doing it for me.

    I have a library problem too! I always come back with more than I returned. I've banned myself from library books until 2013 (except audio) because my own shelves are sadly neglected.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Darn, somehow I always just miss these readalongs! I read Monte Cristo this year and loved it. Well, it does get a little slow and confusing at points but I loved it anyway. I look forward to your review of AS Byatt's book -- I haven't read nearly enough of her work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Little library problem . . . man, do I know what you mean! Working at a library is great and all, but that stack of books by my bed NEVER shrinks! (Which, I suppose, is a good problem to have.) It doesn't help any that I go through all the new children and YA books as they come in so I can put "New" stickers on them. I always wind up checking several out before I'm done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm really interested in your opinion about the A.S. Byatt novel. Some time ago I started with other of her books and I found it boring: I gave it up, indeed.
    And I haven't read any reviews abuto this author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!