Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pre Read-a-Thon MADNESS!


Wow, guys! It's quite a different view from this side of the Read-a-Thon! Helping host really provides a new appreciation for all that goes into planning this event.

While I haven't been reading much at all lately, I haven't been THIS excited about the Read-a-Thon in ages!!! Working with our super awesome co-hosts, scheduling and reaching out to the mini-challenge hosts, and seeing the cheerleader numbers build, the prize donations come in, it's just astounding!!!

We have the best volunteers across the board, and Shesten from I Heart Monster has been a fearless leader teaching Heather and I how to pull this thing off.

In the spirit of the Read-a-Thon, I did some snack shopping this morning. I actually cooked a chicken spaghetti so I can nosh on the leftovers for a few days. I also have some Oreos on hand, chips (of course), and miscellaneous goodies I'll reveal later.

My stack is coming along, but I plan to stop by the library tomorrow and add some shorter books to the pile. Here's what I'm working with so far:



  • Heading Out to Wonderful by Robert Goolrick
  • The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen
  • Wild Nights! by Joyce Carol Oates
  • Yonder by Siri Hustvedt
  • Proof by David Auburn (re-read)
  • Naked by David Sedaris
  • Life is So Good by George Dawson
  • Watchmen by Alan Moore
  • Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall by Bill Willingham (re-read)
I have every intention of adding the following after a library run:
  • The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett
  • The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka
  • Graphic novels and middle grade/YA fiction!
Variety in length and subject matter is the key!!!!

How is your Read-a-Thon prep going?  Be sure to follow along on Twitter and Facebook!

22 comments:

  1. Ooh The Sugar Queen! I loved it! Thanks for doing sch a good job with the readathon organisation, so sad I can't be a reader this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Joanna! I appreciate your kinds words. The Sugar Queen is HIGH on my list to jump into during the Read-a-Thon. :D

      Delete
    2. That was me, by the way. Forgot to log out of the Read-a-Thon account. Oops! lol

      Delete
  2. Proof is a really good play! I read it during a read-a-thon a few years ago. My read-a-thon prep is going pretty well! I've just went to the grocery store but I have to go back for shrimp so I can make shrimp fried rice on Saturday. Plus, I went a little crazy and placed more books on hold! I'm so glad you're so excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! It's one of my faves, and I'm not at all opposed to re-reading it. hehe

      Shrimp fried rice sounds fantastic!!! I'll be eating my leftovers and a bunch of junk food. lol

      Doing my library run this afternoon!

      Delete
  3. I am always impressed how high everyone's piles get for the Read-a-thon. I think during my best readathon I got 2 books read, and I had started one of them. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becca, my very best readathon, I read 8 or 9 books. I stayed up nearly the whole 24 hours, and of course there was some YA and graphic novels in there. But it was still fun. It really got my reading mojo going!

      Delete
  4. I adore the life that you guys are breathing into the readathon--like seriously LOVE. I know it's a ton a ton a ton of work and I commend the past couple of folks who have tackled but it just hasn't been the same. Kind of makes me sad that I didn't make a better effort to clear my schedule this year. I'll be popping in here and there but will mostly be watching from the sidelines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much, Trish. That really means a lot because we want to do a good job and do this right! Glad you'll be popping in. Enjoy your weekend all around!

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for all the work y'all are putting into this event! I can't wait to participate for the first time and be much more helpful the next go 'round. About to go shopping for my snacks and still haven't finalized my stack yet. My husband thinks I've lost my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brooke! I'm SO glad you'll be joining us for your very first readathon, and I do hope you'll jump in on the volunteer side next time. You'd be great fun to have onboard! Can't wait to know more about your stacks and snacks! LOL

      Delete
  6. You are almost ready to go, Andi! Good job on the prepping of snacks/meals & a diverse pile of books :) I'll be cheerleading from the side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm glad you'll be cheering! :D

      Delete
  7. The read-a-thons always sound so enticing -- I'm definitely going to do one... someday! Lots of great reads in there. I really, really loved The Sugar Queen... it's very sweet and a little over-the-top, but the magical realism is so nice! I get warm fuzzies just thinking about that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Meg! I hope you get to do one sooner rather than later. :) Glad you liked The Sugar Queen. I'll probably start with it.

      Delete
  8. I'm ridiculously excited for the readathon tomorrow! It's my first time :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JENNIFER!!!! I'm so excited for you that this is your first readathon!!!! WHat fun! Welcome aboard. :D

      Delete
  9. I also vouch for The Sugar Queen. It was adorable!


    Pssst.. It's Shannon. I miss ya! Clearly still creeping..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! Hi, Shannon! It makes me feel good that you're still creeping. LOL! You gonna be reading tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I wasn't starting Sandman, I would totally be starting Fables! This year I'm going half graphic novels. Should be fun! 12 hours to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Sugar Queen is an excellent read. I hope you fall in love with it :-)

    Happy readathoning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Best of luck with the readathon. I'd imagine David Sedaris would be good one for some lighter reading. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!