Saturday, October 13, 2012

Read-a-Thon Update Post!!!

Hour 16 - 10pm to 10:59

I'M STILL HERE!!!! I just got done hosting my first official hour. I've been around and about all day, but it was my first time "at bat." SO MUCH FUN!!! The Twitter energy is good, the blog energy is good, and I'm listening to some tunes to keep me awake (and the coffee helps).

I'll be hosting a Mini-Challenge in Hour 18 and I'll be back for my last hosting hour at 19!

In the meantime, I'm reading...



Hour 10! - 4pm to 4:59

Whoa! I had to take a longer break there. My eyes were starting to le cross! The good news is that I finished two books while I was gone!!!

 

These were both super fantastic Read-a-Thon choices because they were quick and fun. Now I'm trying to decide what to read next...

The Buddha in the Attic or the first in the Bone graphic novel series. Choices, choices!

How are YOU doing?


Hour 5 - 11am to 11:59

I took a break from checking in last hour and read! I'm still enjoying The Uncommon Reader and expect I'll finish it up in the next few hours. It's a super shorty, but I've been Tweeting, vising blogs, and helping out with co-host duties where I can! Check out all the ongoing mini-challenges over at the main website!

Hour 3 - 9-9:59AM
This hour...the SNACKS mini-challenge hosted by Uniflame.


I swear there is SOME healthy stuff and real food in the house, too. But this is the FUN stack of snacks!
  • Munchies Totally Ranch snack mix
  • Terra root veggie chips (awesome)
  • Oreos (and milk!)
  • Peanut Butter M&Ms
  • Almond Snickers!
Yum-o!



Hour 2 -  8-8:59AM (central)
Reading: The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett.
Snacks consumed: One bowl of Honeycomb cereal and Dark Magic coffee!!!
Readathon tasks: tweaking the Prizes spreadsheet *facepalm*
Tweets read/written: a gazillion

Hour 1 7am-7:59 - Intro Meme and Gushing! - Check this post throughout the day for updates (so I don't bombard your feed readers!


Thanks to Heather for creating such a KICKASS button!
Well here we are, folks. I cannot believe the Read-a-Thon is finally upon us. Heather, Shesten, Elizabeth, Trish, and I have all been planning planning planning behind the scenes for WEEKS! Y'all should see the Gmail chat logs between Shesten, Heather, and myself. Hilarity, I tell you.

This year, like no other year before, I'm really nostalgic for what Dewey created. I've said from the beginning that it's an honor to get to help carry on her legacy, and what a legacy it is. Go read Heather's intro post on for Hour 1 on the Dewey's Read-a-Thon website for a taste of what Dewey means to us and what she built. Amazing. Truly amazing.

We have over 430 bloggers participating today (maybe even more since I checked last), and it gives me the warm fuzzies that so many readers and bloggers from across the world come together for this event.

One of my favorite parts of the Read-a-Thon is the opening survey, so here we go!

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
I'm in northeast Texas! About 45 minutes outside of Big D -- Dallas!


2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
I'm actually itching for a re-read of Bill Willingham's 1001 Nights of Snowfall -- a spinoff of the Fables series. I'm also really looking forward to digging into Heading Out ot Wonderful by Robert Goolrick.

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
OREOS AND MILK! Because nothing spells childhood like that snack.

4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
When we were prepping for the Read-a-Thon, I actually video recorded myself in my car. I have an iPhone and I turned the video feature on while I was on a long drive to document questions I had for Shesten and Heather. Ha!

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what's one thing you'll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
I didn't participate in the last Read-a-Thon because I had my toddler and he was NOT GONNA LET ME be a part. He's with his Daddy and siblings this weekend, so I plan to enjoy the whole experience -- from Twitter, to Facebook, to Cheerleading, to reading! 

And I posted a pic of my stack yesterday, but I kinda hit up the library and added 8 more books! Here they are...



  • Zel by Donna Jo Napoli
  • The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett
  • The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka
  • Willful Creatures (short stories) by Aimee Bender
  • A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
  • Anya's Ghost by whoever that is (too lazy to go look)
  • Bone: Out From Boneville by that Guy
  • Britten and Brulightly by Berry. Someone Berry. 
I haven't had coffee yet, so you can't blame me for not getting up and going to look. ;)

Happy READATHON!!!!


44 comments:

  1. It's about time you were reading 1001 Nights! Dang it, I may have to add it to my stack. It's been awhile…. Have fun today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a re-read! I swear!

      Delete
    2. Well, I hope you get to Bone at some point today! I LOOOOOOVE Bone!

      Delete
  2. I hope you have tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Off to a good start, Kathy! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I'm looking forward to hearing about 1001 Night as well as the rest of your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!!! It's a re-read, so I can tell you, it's FABULOUS!

      Delete
  4. Your books stack looks like fun! I may have to add them to my wish list! Have lots of fun today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hillary! I'm digging into The Uncommon Reader right now, and it's fabulous!

      Delete
  5. Ack! I should've grabbed Buddha in the Attic. Maybe I'll listen to it while I stretch my legs. Off to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, I'm glad Vasilly reminded me of it. I don't think I realized how short it is!

      Delete
  6. I looked for A Monster Calls for my thon pile, but didn't find it. ah well. Happy readathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe after the -athon, Amanda! I know it's going to make me bawl like a toddler.

      Delete
  7. No coffee yet for me either but it's a brewin'!!!! Milk and oreos. Will need to make a run later. Mmmmm.

    READATHON!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TRISH! I'm so glad you're joining in as you can!

      Delete
  8. Have a fantastic readathon, Andi! I'm jealous of your oreos and milk. I forgot to buy anything sweet - what is wrong with me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For shame!!! LOL Wish I could share. I have plenty of sweets. :D

      Delete
  9. Your snacks look yummy! Do I spy peanut butter m&m's? They're my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, aren't they the BESTEST!

      Delete
  10. Enjoy.. and good luck with the reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shoot! I should have gotten peanut butter M&Ms. Those are my FAVORITE... now that I think about it, my snack stack doesn't have any chocolate in it. The horror!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I'm saving those for later when I'm really tired and need chocolate to pull me through!

      Delete
  12. Peanut butter M&Ms! You're my kind of girl! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on, Vasilly! Wish I was closer and I'd share your shrimp fried rice! ;)

      Delete
  13. Mmmm...I have snack-envy! ;)

    Thanks so much for carrying on Dewey's legacy with this great event! Hope you get to have lots of fun and reading too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our pleasure, Nat! It's an honor and kind of a complete blast!

      Delete
  14. Hardly any reading done yet but I'm having so much fun! And I totally want to steal your Oreos ... or maybe I could just sneak the ones that I have in the pantry that are supposed to be for the kid's lunch. I can always buy him more, right? ;) Happy Read-a-Thon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristen, sneak 'em!!! The kids never have to know. Glad you're having a good time!

      Delete
  15. I've been alternating each hour of reading with an hour-long break. My eyes would never last all day and into the evening if I tried to read all day. That said, I can't remember the last time I read so much in a single day. Hmmm, maybe this blogging thing is taking up too much of my precious time. But I can't cut back. I've tried and I always come back!

    Have a fun/productive evening, Andi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Les! I can't cut back either. It's a good idea to alternate reading and eye rest. Mine are getting pretty strained at this point, and I have HOURS to go!

      Delete
  16. So far, so good...getting kind of sleepy though at this point. Ah well that's what coffee is for!! And I might need to break up all these new books with some quick re-reads just for a break. Do Tintin comics count as graphic novels?? Hope you're having a blast! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Jen. I'll be hitting up my Keurig before it's all over. Tintin comics certainly do! I seem to have hit a wall in my reading. Not sure what to pick up next.

      Delete
  17. I first heard about The Uncommon Reader during a readathon many moons ago. Hope you're enjoying it! I'm about 100 pages into The Secret History. Hoping to make headway tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with The Secret History, Trish! The Uncommon Reader was awesome. It's kinda making me not know what to pick up next!

      Delete
  18. What's the Uncommon Reader about?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Reading and co-hosting?? You're superwoman!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy readathon, too! I totally forgot to pick up chips from the grocers. Now I have to rely on bananas to get me through the rest of the night. :) Thanks for all the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Almond Snickers!?!?! You just blew my mind. Why didn't I know about this?

    I will find them and eat all of them!

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good Luck with the hosting! I'm looking forward to also hearing more about A Monster Calls as it comes from an author I've always meant to try.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Everyone had so much fun with readathon this time - but I failed so bad! Clearly you had a better pile of books and MUCH better snacks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Forget the books, I'm climbing through the screen to get at those snacks! You and I have the same taste, Andi, I love food that's not vegetable-ish (unless there are fries) although you're probably healthier than I am. Hope you get to Buddha in the Attic which I loved.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!