Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Read-a-Thon Wrap Up and Recovery!

Hey y'all! What a busy weekend. Greyson was with his dad, brother, and sisters for the weekend, so I had uninterrupted Read-a-Thon madness! A good thing since there was much to do. I rose at 5am and the -athon started at 7am my time zone. I spent most of the morning and afternoon hovering near the computer -- Facebooking, Tweeting, and assisting the co-hosts with any confusion they had. Heather was kind enough to host the first four hours of the day, and I got a good bit of reading time in. Overall, I probably got to read more than I'd expected throughout the course of the day. Shesten did a shift in the afternoon and that was another opportunity for down time.  

1. Which hour was most daunting for you?
My duties were done in hour 20 (and I'd been up for 22 hours), so I headed off to bed and left the remaining hours in Kate's capable hands. 

2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
My favorite of the Read-a-Thon was Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol, published by First Second books. It's a quick graphic novel with great illustrations and a creepy twist. I mention the publisher because these folks published American Born Chinese, another favorite of mine. 

The key to Read-a-Thon reading is still short, quick books. I like to feel like I'm making tangible progress and short choices are definitely the way to do that. 

3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year
Heather and I will be brainstorming some tweaks in the coming months. From the administrative side, prizes are the biggest headache! We must streamline!

4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
As I mentioned above, our co-hosts were vital. I think next year we'll start "training" earlier -- getting the lay of the Wordpress account, working out systems to take care of all the admin stuff, and hopefully we can find some additional volunteers to head up some additional committees. 

5. How many books did you read? What were the names of the books you read?
I completed two: The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett and Anya's Ghost. I also started A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. 



6. Which book did you enjoy most? Which did you enjoy least?
Anya's Ghost was definitely the winner. The Uncommon Reader was fun, light, and a good Read-a-Thon choice, but it was just average for me. Didn't blow the top of my head off or anything. 

7. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?
We need MORE cheerleaders next year!!! Even if the time commitments are short. With 480ish participants there have to be a lot of cheers to go around!

8. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
Heather and I will be your official hosts in April. CANNOT WAIT. 

So after all the Read-a-Thon goodness was over, I grabbed about 6 hours of sleep and headed off to the Central part of Texas to visit with D. I surprised him at an event he organized, and I WISH I'd had a camera to document the look on his face when I walked in. He, of course, knew I was heavy into the Read-a-Thon on Saturday/Sunday, and I didn't bother to text or Facebook to tell him when I woke up (that would ruin the effect!). I think when I arrived at his event around 11:45, he thought I was still sleeping 3 hours away. SURPRISE!!! It was a great way to cap off the weekend, and I'm finally feeling recovered from all the sleep deprivation and travel. :) 

How's your week treating you? Did the Read-a-Thon kickstart your reading mojo? It did a world of good for mine! 

14 comments:

  1. I think graphic novels are so perfect for the readathon. In April I'll definitely have to sign up as a cheerleader. This was my 4th readathon and I haven't cheered yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo...do you have a date for the April readathon?

    *ducksandruns*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sad I missed the read-a-thon - I've always enjoyed cheering everyone else on. I hope I'll be able to participate in April!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always miss the Dewey read-a-thons, to my ongoing sadness - I work EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND so I never get chance to take part! - but I totally agree about the reading mojo kick-starting thing. Last winter I did a few self-imposed 24 hour read-a-thons when we had a little more time off mid-week, and every time I ended up knackered but deeply satisfied. At the end I usually had couple of hours in front of the telly, a good meal, a long night's sleep, then by the next morning I was dying to get up and read again! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't participate this time. Family stuff. I will look for details in April and might be able to make it work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my favorite events even if I am unable to participate for the entire 24 hours. One of these days I hope to be able to spend the entire time reading, but life always gets in the way!

    Congrats to the read-a-thon team on a job well done. It's nicely organized with entertaining hourly posts to keep us involved and fun challenges. I'm looking forward to April!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had a great read-a-thon, and it sounds like everyone who participated enjoyed the event. I haven't read Anya's Ghost, but I'm glad it worked well for you. It's been on my list for a while. Hoping to get to it soon.

    I have yet to participate in one--the timing has just never worked out. Maybe I'll join in April if I can swing it. If it's after the April 15th tax deadline, I just may be able to convince my husband that I deserve it as a reward for a grueling tax season. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only participated in a couple of Read-a-Thons, but this was the best! I didn't stress about all the mini-challenges and checked in during my breaks, but didn't feel compelled to blog on a regular basis during the day. I juggled a few loads of laundry and meals with my hubby, but still read more than I usually do in an entire weekend. Yep. Short books are the way to go, although my first book was engrossing enough to keep me reading. My second book was a novel in verse, which turned out to be an excellent choice for late night reading. Have to remember that for April's event. Mucho thanks to you and Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I only read one book for the readathon, but I was happy to get at least one finished because there were chores to do and obligations to meet. I want to make it for the full readathon next time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woohoo -- so glad to hear y'all will be hosting in April! Somehow I always hear about the read-a-thons too late to make plans to join in . . . but I'm going to mentally reserve some time in the spring to try my first one. Goodness knows a whole day of "mandatory" reading sounds all right by me . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree, we need more cheerleaders. I'll most likely sign up as one next time if schedule allows, instead of reading. I read somewhere that cheers were great on Twitter, but that leaves out those of us who do not have Twitter so the readathon felt really quiet this time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK! I will commit to more cheering hours. I fell off the wagon hard and I apologize for not getting around to as many as I had hoped.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did a great job and I'm so glad you'll be doing it again next year! I'm a willing mini-challenge host :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. As the one person who did the prize sorting and hookups for many readathons, solo, I agree. They're a gigantic headache. Hope you find a way to simplify all the processes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!