Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Read-a-Thon Wrap Up and Recovery!

Hey y'all! What a busy weekend. Greyson was with his dad, brother, and sisters for the weekend, so I had uninterrupted Read-a-Thon madness! A good thing since there was much to do. I rose at 5am and the -athon started at 7am my time zone. I spent most of the morning and afternoon hovering near the computer -- Facebooking, Tweeting, and assisting the co-hosts with any confusion they had. Heather was kind enough to host the first four hours of the day, and I got a good bit of reading time in. Overall, I probably got to read more than I'd expected throughout the course of the day. Shesten did a shift in the afternoon and that was another opportunity for down time.  

1. Which hour was most daunting for you?
My duties were done in hour 20 (and I'd been up for 22 hours), so I headed off to bed and left the remaining hours in Kate's capable hands. 

2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
My favorite of the Read-a-Thon was Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol, published by First Second books. It's a quick graphic novel with great illustrations and a creepy twist. I mention the publisher because these folks published American Born Chinese, another favorite of mine. 

The key to Read-a-Thon reading is still short, quick books. I like to feel like I'm making tangible progress and short choices are definitely the way to do that. 

3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year
Heather and I will be brainstorming some tweaks in the coming months. From the administrative side, prizes are the biggest headache! We must streamline!

4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
As I mentioned above, our co-hosts were vital. I think next year we'll start "training" earlier -- getting the lay of the Wordpress account, working out systems to take care of all the admin stuff, and hopefully we can find some additional volunteers to head up some additional committees. 

5. How many books did you read? What were the names of the books you read?
I completed two: The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett and Anya's Ghost. I also started A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. 



6. Which book did you enjoy most? Which did you enjoy least?
Anya's Ghost was definitely the winner. The Uncommon Reader was fun, light, and a good Read-a-Thon choice, but it was just average for me. Didn't blow the top of my head off or anything. 

7. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?
We need MORE cheerleaders next year!!! Even if the time commitments are short. With 480ish participants there have to be a lot of cheers to go around!

8. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
Heather and I will be your official hosts in April. CANNOT WAIT. 

So after all the Read-a-Thon goodness was over, I grabbed about 6 hours of sleep and headed off to the Central part of Texas to visit with D. I surprised him at an event he organized, and I WISH I'd had a camera to document the look on his face when I walked in. He, of course, knew I was heavy into the Read-a-Thon on Saturday/Sunday, and I didn't bother to text or Facebook to tell him when I woke up (that would ruin the effect!). I think when I arrived at his event around 11:45, he thought I was still sleeping 3 hours away. SURPRISE!!! It was a great way to cap off the weekend, and I'm finally feeling recovered from all the sleep deprivation and travel. :) 

How's your week treating you? Did the Read-a-Thon kickstart your reading mojo? It did a world of good for mine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik