Monday, October 22, 2012

The Uncommon Reader

The 24 Hour Read-a-Thon was SUCH a great event, especially this year, because it busted a months-long reading slump. Ever since I got laid off, I've put other things in front of my reading. Admittedly, I've also been tackling too-big books, when what I really needed to boost my mojo were some shorties!

With a stack of short selections in the house, I busted through The Uncommon Reader in a matter of a few hours in the early part of the Read-a-Thon.

If you're not familiar (and you probably are!), Bennett's novella is about what might happen if the Queen of England became obsessed with reading. She unknowingly stumbles upon a BookMobile near the palace one day and wanders in to check things out (har!). She ends up with a book, which leads to another book, which leads to another book. And you know how this goes. You're a reader, too. Down the rabbit hole!

As the Queen reads a variety of genres and authors, she learns a great deal about herself. Her priorities begin to shift. She becomes bored with the drudgery of everyday life and the imposed formality of her duties, the repetitiveness of her conversations and appearances.

As one might imagine, her closest advisers are a little bit unseated. They begin to meddle and insert themselves in her reading routine. They reroute her books. They foil her reading plans. It is through reading that the Queen comes to a higher understanding of her purpose, though I won't tell you what that is.

The Uncommon Reader is a fun book. A cute book. A book that most readers will identify with and enjoy, for it reflects our sometimes-compulsive tendencies and the lessons we learn about life and ourselves. Not to mention our voracious appetites for books! While it was a quick read and exactly what I needed to get my bookish heart kick-started, it was just ok. Nice enough. Fun enough. Quick enough. Though, it did not blow my skirt up the way those 4 and 5-star books do.

Nevertheless, it's worth a read! Don't get me wrong on that.

Snuggle (a hug for your grandmother) -- Skewer

Pub. Date: September 2007
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Format: Hardcover
ISBN-13: 9780312427641
Source: Library

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik