Sunday, October 28, 2012

Weekend Cooking: Basic Breakfast Muffins and Mix-Ins!

Happy Sunday! Greyson is at Chuck's house until later this afternoon, so I made a trip to the grocery store this morning, grabbed a few pumpkins for the front porch, and spent a couple of hours cooking some goodies for this week.

Speaking of food...I kinda started a new project! It's really simple and straightforward if you'd like to join in. I'm encouraging folks to share their dinner ideas nightly on Twitter (follow @NomsNightly), Instagram, or elsewhere with the tag #NomsNightly. I don't know about you, but I can always use inspiration, so pics, recipes, and conversation are welcome! Visit the #NomsNightly tab up top for more info!

With Halloween on the horizon, we will indulge in a few tasty treats 'round here. I'm planning to make a batch of smores-themed cake balls (chocolate cake, marshmallow creme, chocolate coating, rolled in graham crackers). Most of those will go to Greyson's school because we DO NOT NEED them all. One each for his classmates -- don't want to sugar them up too much -- and the rest to the staff.

Image Cred -- Borrowed from Dash
Today I have to thank my mom for sharing a recipe she found in the weekly Dash newspaper insert. It's a recipe for a basic muffin batter with ideas for mix-ins! I love the idea of tailoring the batter to whatever we like and whatever we have on hand.  I was also able to find it on their website if you want to check it out there directly.

Basic Muffin Recipe

INGREDIENTS:

  •  2 cups flour 
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder 
  • 1/4 cup sugar 
  • 3/4 tsp salt 
  • 2 eggs 
  • 1 cup milk 
  • 1/2 cup canola oil 
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS: 
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray or line muffin cups with paper liners.

 2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla for 1 minute on medium. Add flour mixture. Beat just until no streaks of flour remain—do not overmix!

 3. Spoon batter into muffin cups. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until tops of muffins spring back when pressed lightly. Transfer muffins to a rack to cool slightly.

Makes 1 dozen.

What I really like about this batter is that it's not very sweet at all. It's a great canvas for whatever you want to add. With so little sugar included, I might try sweetening with honey or some other alternative next time  Today I chose to make my muffins into Banana Chocolate Chip! I simply mushed up one banana and added it to the batter along with 1/2 a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Greyson will looooove these, and it'd be super simple to make a double-batch and freeze them for later. I'm also looking forward to trying Raspberry Almond and Oatmeal Raisin (except I don't like raisins, so I'll probably used dried cranberries!).

What are you cooking this weekend? 

And don't forget to join us with your #NomsNightly!





13 comments:

  1. Um, hello, this looks delish! May have to participate in this. I'd recommend having a Pinterest board to follow as well, I'd enjoy that, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Natalie! I'll definitely add one.

      Delete
  2. Great new recipe sharing idea, I'm in! Muffins look great, will try them for sure! Ad I don't like raisins either, I always sub dried cranberries! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanna! Cranberries are always better to me. :)

      Delete
  3. I didn't cook anything but I want one of those cake balls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, they sound good don't they? We'll see how they turn out.

      Delete
  4. Oh I like this idea of add-ins. And I'm planning on joining in on the twitter chat. We eat late, so I'll be a late reporter, but fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Beth! Love to have you. Late reporting is no problem at all. Hopefully we'll get some international folks joining us at some point!

      Delete
  5. I like the idea of Noms Nightly (or Nightly Noms? I keep getting them confused), although we also also eat pretty late (particularly if you live on the East Coast).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasha, I first wanted to call it Nightly Noms but that was taken across the board. Blah! So #NomsNightly it is.

      Delete
  6. Those muffins look really good. I like muffins with lots of mix-ins.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same here, Laurie. Bad news: my son didn't like the banana/chocolate chip. I'M IN SHOCK! Looks like I'll be freezing half the batch for later (for me). lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. That mix in recipe looks amazing, and I am thinking of two or three things that I could mix into it right now from my fridge and pantry. Also those special s'mores nugget thingys sound fantastic! I love the sweet stuff, but have to watch it this time of year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!