Thursday, November 08, 2012

Heartbroken: Fair Trade Business In Need

Good morning, folks. It's a somber day. Yesterday a mutual friend--of Chuck's and mine--and his fiance were dealt quite a blow. Their home went up in flames early Wednesday morning, one day after returning from Africa with the fair trade goods they were to sell in launching their business. They're the founders of a fair trade lingerie company, Cherie Amie, which helps seamstresses in Cameroon  as well as providing loans for African women to start their own businesses.
Tara Smith and her fiance, Ryan Shuette, are great people. Both are smart, sweet, motivated humanitarians who want to bring awareness to fair trade and do what they can to help the world.

Read more about this story from a local Dallas news station. Visit Cherie Amie's Facebook page here. You can also view the Indiegogo campaign they used to help start their business here.

I'm not sure yet how those who adore Tara and Ryan and their efforts will organize to help. But for now, if you're moved to donate to this couple please contact me directly. We would love to be able to put together a little something for them whether it's donations of clothing and personal items or cash. They are two of the most selfless and deserving people we know and we couldn't ignore their story and their plight. I hope you'll feel the same!

Contact me here with donations, inquiries, fundraising ideas, or best wishes for this couple and their business...




Thank you to Chuck for bringing this situation to my attention, and for being a good friend to Ryan, Tara, and others.


2 comments:

  1. Could you let me know what they need most? Just shoot me an email, and let me know whether it's a donation or a specific item that they need, and I will try to help. I love that you are doing this for them. You are truly a good soul, Andi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate hearing things like this. I hope they have good insurance but would be glad to help as much as I can. Like Zibilee, I'm curious what the most immediate need is. Maybe some gift cards to restaurants?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!