Monday, November 19, 2012

Pre-Holday Pinning and a Holiday Recipe


Hey folks! I'm a little late to the party, but I've been looking forward to starting on Trish's Holiday editon of the Pin It and Do It challenge!

My family celebrates Thanksgiving early (or late) almost every year. I have a relative in the medical field who often works on holidays, so we're perfectly content to jump the gun or lag behind just a little. Yesterday's feast included (we're all about indulgence on holidays!)...

  • Spiral cut ham and a gravy made from the drippings
  • Onion-roasted potatoes
  • Broccoli, rice and cheese casserole
  • Baked beans
  • Whole kernel corn
  • Rolls
  • Veggie tray
  • Cream cheese, ham, and green onion spread with crackers
  • A meat and cheese tray
  • Buttermilk pie
  • Banana pudding (the best ever)
  • Pecan pie
And my two contributions were sausage dressing (stuffing NOT stuffed into anything) and corn casserole from the crock pot! The Crock Pot Corn Casserole, recipe compliments of the Crockin' Girls, is my first pin for the Pin It and Do It Holiday Challenge, and I have to say, it was a winner!

  • 1/2 cup butter (melted)
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 egg
  • 1 can whole kernel corn (16 oz)
  • 1 can cream-style corn (16 oz)
  • 1 small package of cornbread mix (I used Jiffy)
Mix all the ingredients together, dump it in the crock pot, and cook for 2-3 hours on high. I did mine closer to 3 hours. I also recommend putting a folded paper towel over the crock top and putting the lid down over it to catch any condensation that might make it mushy. It just creates a nice little barrier. 

The casserole is a little like a corn pudding. It sets up nicely, but it has a soft, silky texture, and made a nice sweet'ish side with all our other savory items. 

You might also want to explore my Completed Pins board. These are some of my favorites!

Since I haven't made much headway in my reading, check back tomorrow for the sausage dressing recipe. It's one of my family's faves!




19 comments:

  1. Sounds fantastic! I've never had corn casserole before (or for that matter buttermilk pie or banana pudding) but it does sound yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olduvai, they're all southern favorites and SO tasty! Maybe I'll share my banana pudding recipe too. It's sinful!

      Delete
  2. We're going to have a non-traditional Thanksgiving this year since my guys will be working at the store - they decided to be open for 4 hours. It doesn't matter as long as we're together - we have much to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they did good business on Thanksgiving!!! And yes, agreed. As long as you're together, it's all good. :)

      Delete
  3. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, and I love the cooking and the feasting, even though I have to watch the input. I am glad that you had such a nice feast with your family. It sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my faves, too, Zibilee. I generaly throw caution to the wind with my portions on that day, but gotta snap back into shape right after. :)

      Delete
  4. Hosh, Posh.. "Best Banana Pudding Ever" :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chuck, you know it's true.

      Delete
  5. Yum! That whole feast sounds delicious! We have a small family for Thanksgiving so we don't have nearly as many dishes, but I'm still looking forward to all of the food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! We have a smallish group, too. So we had enough leftovers for an army!

      Delete
  6. I need to do some pins. I have been neglecting Pinterest! Bad me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, I've been keeping it pretty consistent. Gotta keep up the momentum through the Christmas holidays now. :)

      Delete
  7. I love creamed corn but I never thought to put cornbread mixing in with it. YUM!!! Way to go on already finishing one of your pins. I completed one last night...roasted chicken in a BUNDT PAN! Was yummy.

    Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Trish! This is a great little casserole and a fun way to do something different with corn. It's a little sweet and yummy. And I can't wait to learn more about BUNDT PAN chicken!

      Delete
  8. That sounds like an amazing feast. We had kind of a weird Thanksgiving because we were invited to a church potluck. The food was great but it's totally bizarre not having leftovers. And, there was no pie!!! I can't believe nobody brought pumpkin pie!! It may take me a while to recover. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO PIE! That's just beyond me. An odd Thanksgiving with no leftovers, but also no dishes!

      Delete
  9. Ooh, I love the sound of that crockpot corn casserole. I made a very similar recipe for this year's festivities, and it's quickly becoming a fave! Mine was baked, though. This sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so so so good! I will definitely make it again just for kicks. I've done the baked version, too.

      Delete
  10. I've never had corn casserole but it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!