Monday, November 19, 2012

Pre-Holday Pinning and a Holiday Recipe


Hey folks! I'm a little late to the party, but I've been looking forward to starting on Trish's Holiday editon of the Pin It and Do It challenge!

My family celebrates Thanksgiving early (or late) almost every year. I have a relative in the medical field who often works on holidays, so we're perfectly content to jump the gun or lag behind just a little. Yesterday's feast included (we're all about indulgence on holidays!)...

  • Spiral cut ham and a gravy made from the drippings
  • Onion-roasted potatoes
  • Broccoli, rice and cheese casserole
  • Baked beans
  • Whole kernel corn
  • Rolls
  • Veggie tray
  • Cream cheese, ham, and green onion spread with crackers
  • A meat and cheese tray
  • Buttermilk pie
  • Banana pudding (the best ever)
  • Pecan pie
And my two contributions were sausage dressing (stuffing NOT stuffed into anything) and corn casserole from the crock pot! The Crock Pot Corn Casserole, recipe compliments of the Crockin' Girls, is my first pin for the Pin It and Do It Holiday Challenge, and I have to say, it was a winner!

  • 1/2 cup butter (melted)
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 egg
  • 1 can whole kernel corn (16 oz)
  • 1 can cream-style corn (16 oz)
  • 1 small package of cornbread mix (I used Jiffy)
Mix all the ingredients together, dump it in the crock pot, and cook for 2-3 hours on high. I did mine closer to 3 hours. I also recommend putting a folded paper towel over the crock top and putting the lid down over it to catch any condensation that might make it mushy. It just creates a nice little barrier. 

The casserole is a little like a corn pudding. It sets up nicely, but it has a soft, silky texture, and made a nice sweet'ish side with all our other savory items. 

You might also want to explore my Completed Pins board. These are some of my favorites!

Since I haven't made much headway in my reading, check back tomorrow for the sausage dressing recipe. It's one of my family's faves!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik