Friday, November 02, 2012

RIP VII Wrap Up

Happy after-Halloween, everyone! We had a fantastic time. Greyson covered my mom's street before he was ready to head back to the porch and supervise the passing out of the candy. He's quite the polite little man, except when the crowds slowed down. Then he stood on the porch and yelled over the hedges, "Hey! Come get candy!" 

At least he's ok with sharing!

One of the best parts of my reading year is always the Readings Imbibing Peril (RIP) event. This is year seven, and what a year it was! I embarked upon Peril the First, to read four books in the qualifying genres. I actually only managed to finish three books (and a short story), but I'm still very satisfied with this year's reading. 

Completed:

  • Patrick Ness's heartbreaking, beautifully illustrated, A Monster Calls.
  • Vera Brosgol's fun, twisty graphic novel, Anya's Ghost.
  • Carlo's Ruiz Zafon's short story, "Rose of Fire." 
  • Kendare Blake's YA gorefest, Anna Dressed in Blood.
It's hard to pick a favorite book out of this year's RIP reading. I'd say A Monster Calls and Anna Dressed in Blood probably tie for two very different reasons. A Monster Calls was an emotional, tearful read that touched me deeply. Anna Dressed in Blood is an over-the-top ghost story with some interesting YA twists -- super fun and deserving of its own review, so watch for that next week. 

It's also surprising to see all YA titles on my list this year. I've been out of the YA loop for such a very long time. After Twilight things got extremely formulaic for a bit, but these books managed to break the mold and keep me highly entertained -- and a lot more open to future YA choices. 

As always, thanks SO MUCH to Carl for hosting this great event! I can't wait until the next one!

What was your favorite book from RIP VII

18 comments:

  1. I'd forgotten all about Anna Dressed in Blood -- everyone seems to have enjoyed it so I ought to grab it before the creepy season is past!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read A Monster Calls and Anna Dressed in Blood for ages now. There are TOO MANY BOOKS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brooke, they are SOOOO good. Jump on 'em both. And they wouldn't take you more than a day or two to read! :D

      Delete
  3. I love Greyson's take on Halloween!! I let the kids pick what they wanted and had one girl come and look over what we had and decline everything. I love Halloween because the kids just crack me up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job :D I totally still need to post my RIP wrap up!! And yes..A monster calls just rips your heart out and tears it into tiny itty bitty shreds :( But in the best way possible :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see your wrap-up, Chris!!! I'm still in the mood for dark, atmospheric books so I think the fun will endure for a bit. I have the follow-up to Anna Dressed in Blood what will scare the behoozies out of me. Gone Girl and other more realistic stuff on the TBR as well. Good times!

      Delete
  5. Hey come get candy!?!? That's hilarious. Madison passed out candy too this year. 9 months may be a bit too young to trick or treat since all the candy would go to mommy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has his moments of bossiness. I cannot IMAGINE where he got that trait! lol And yes, most of the candy goes to mommy here too. I tell myself I'm saving him from sugar tantrums and whatnot.

      Delete
  6. Ooh, I don't think I could read something with the phrase "dressed in blood" in the title! Sounds like a gorefest indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL,Cheryl! It was pretty gross in spots, but overall it was a fun book that surprised the heck out of me. Can't wait to read the second book.

      Delete
  7. I want to read Anna Dressed in Blood, you make it sound interesting even though I don't really like gory stuff. I didn't get to participate in RIP this year, hopefully next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually not into the gore either, but this one was a lot of fun.

      Delete
  8. I had never done RIP before - now I know why you like it so much! I did the readalong, read a short story collection and watched "Frankenstein" and "Son of Frankenstein." Those are as scary as I can get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are fun choices, Lisa!!! RIP is a blast and there's a wide range of books to choose if you're not into straight-up scary.

      Delete
  9. Greyson is so sweet!

    Lucretia and the Kroons was probably my favorite book for the challenge. What did you think of the Zafron book? Is it worth reading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a short story, and I really liked it! I was not a huge fan of The Shadow of the Wind when I read it several years ago, and I didn't finish Angel's Game (or whatever the 2nd book was). However, this story has me thinking I should read more.

      Delete
  10. You did so well, and reminded me that I need to pick up Anna, Dressed in Blood. I have an audio credit just waiting for that one! We didn't get a lot of trick-or-treaters this year, which means that I have excess chocolate around the house. Never a good thing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Anna would probably be a great audio choice! Such a fun, fresh book. And yay for excess chocolate! I mean, oh no, that's horrible. lol

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!