Monday, November 26, 2012

Thanksgiving Recap and Bookish Goodness!

Well hello there, kittens. I'm back from a Thanksgiving vacation to rival all Thanksgiving vacations. It didn't start out so great, but it ended strong. 

On Friday the 16th I came down with a persnickety stomach bug that didn't know if it wanted to stay or go. All told, I was sick for about 6 days. After 5 days I gave up, went to the doc, and got medicated. That was the beginning of improvements. The worst part about it is that I had to send Greyson away because I was just too sick to function and chase him around. I also desperately did not want him to catch it! It's a good thing I went to the doc because in addition to the persnickety bug, I am REALLY anemic. No wonder I've been so tired! I'm scheduling a follow up for this week, and I cannot start those darned iron supplements soon enough.

With my "sick time" and the Thanksgiving break, Greyson was with Chuck and the Rockets for 10 days. I missed him horribly and was plagued by guilt, but he had a great time, and the family got to spend some extra time with him; everyone won.

Thanksgiving day, David, his mom, and I all took off to Austin to visit with his dad, sisters, and their families. Boy, can this bunch entertain!!! We started with afternoon appetizers -- homemade queso, chips, taco soup, guacamole, and some baked brie. Then we moved on to the main event in the evening with turkey, ham, dressing,  fresh green bean casserole (no canned beans here), fruit salad with homemade whipped cream, sweet potatoes, rolls, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, and a homemade Italian Cream Cake (OMG!). There may have been more, but I can't remember, and isn't this enough???!!! It was SO GOOD. 

Friday, we had a leisurely (code for huge) brunch. David's dad (also named David) helps his sister cater, and he's quite the chef. Our brunch consisted of scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, sausage, ham, leftover fruit salad, homemade whipped cream, sparkling cider, juice, coffee, breads, cookies, cakes, pancakes and homemade raspberry syrup. I was seriously full.  

With brunch consumed, we headed out for an evening in San Antonio. It's only about an hour's drive. David's dad drove, we picked up two of his nephews, met up with his sister and her family, and we were off and running. A little later than expected, but we didn't let it hamper our good time. We were just in time to walk around a bit and take in the Christmas tree lighting outside the Alamo. 


With the Christmas tree lit, we decided to hunt down some Mexican food in the marketplace. It had to have been a two-mile walk, but we made it to Mi Tierra Cafe and Bakery, and the carne asada tacos were worth the hike.


We arrived back in Austin very late, but it was worth the trip!

Saturday was a little more of a relaxed, laid back adventure. We stayed close and explored some local Austin spots for Small Business Saturday! My #1 destination was BookPeople! I've heard about this store for YEARS, and it was fun to actually go in and explore after hearing so much hype. I grabbed a copy of Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, so I can attempt to read it before I see the movie.


We also stopped by a local garden salvage shop, cruised through Central Market for some macarons and bread, and had a quick bowl of chili before we were back out the door for a dusky drive past the capital, a stop at Half-Price Books to scope out the clearance section, and some exploring on South Congress Avenue.


This is a sizeable village of food trucks on South Congress. Including one with a spinning cupcake on top, cajun food, thai food, and a "cone truck." David and I first saw The Mighty Cone truck on a Netflix food show, so I felt a little like I'd encountered a celebrity. 

Finally, I know you're wondering what I snagged at Half-Price. You guys know I can't leave that joint without grabbing some clearance goodies...


  • The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger -- loved the movie but haven't read the book
  • Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich -- because I haven't read Erdrich and I flaked on this one when I checked it out from the library earlier this year
  • The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig -- because it looks super fun
  • Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin -- because everyone loves it
And The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories, vol. 2 is for review. FYI: I read it last night. Review coming this week!

In closing, I picked Greyson up yesterday afternoon, and got home early last night. As much fun as I had in Austin over the last four days, it's always good to get home, make a nest, and get back into the usual routine. And settle down with all these new books, of course. 

How was your Thanksgiving??? 





38 comments:

  1. I hope you like The Secret History of the Pink Carnation. I find the whole series to be super fun and I'm going be sad when it ends. There are only two more books to come out.

    I was anemic in high school and run on the low end of "normal" iron levels. I've only been on iron supplements once and they made me eat like a horse. Seriously. I could NOT get full. It was really kind of awesome because I often struggle with not having an appetite. They (and likely all the food I was eating) made a huge difference to my energy levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, Karen! I don't know if I realized it's a series. Gonna have to see if this is the first one.

      And I've been anemic on and off through the years. Will be fine with supplements but it sure feels wonky in the meantime. And I know what you mean about the appetite. Same thing happened to me.

      Delete
  2. I remember when I had low iron levels (college for me)...the doctor said that iron supplements are the way to go. Spinach may be good for you, but when your iron is low, you can't eat enough spinach (or other iron-rich foods) to help. So pop those pills. :-D

    Sounds like an awesome vacation...you sound happy happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. He wants me to come back in for a follow up but I don't want to pay the uninsured cost of going! So I'll likely self-supplement with over the counter iron pills and hope for the best.

      Very happy!

      Delete
  3. It looks like you had a fabulous time with the man! Enjoy your new books:-) I abandoned The Pink Carnation years ago but am tempted to try again because I so want to enjoy that series. I'll be curious if you think it's worth it:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a great time, Carrie! Sorry to hear that you abandoned The Pink Carnation. We'll see if I have any better luck with it!

      Delete
  4. I wish I'd known you were going to be in SA! I could have come out and said hi, even if only for a few minutes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, I would've LOVED to meet you! We didn't know until day-of that we were going, and it wasn't terribly organized. I'll definitely let you know the next time I make it down that way!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad things ended on a high note - there's nothing worse than being sick on a holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! That's the first time I've been sick round a holiday -- maybe ever. Not cool!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you had a fantastic holiday! Boo to the anemia though - also battling a severely low iron count right now and might have to go in for transfusions (story of my life). Jealous of your book haul and I love San Antonia so freakin' much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brooke! Boo to anemia indeed! Hoping you don't have to resort to those transfusions, my dear.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a fantastic Thanksgiving weekend!

    Being anemic sucks. I hope the pills help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natasha! It was a lot of fun!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you had a great weekend! Enjoy your new books. :)

    Too bad you were sick, but at least there are some positive things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly! It was a good time, and I'm salivating over the books. :)

      Delete
  9. Well, except for the whole stomach bug, it sounds awesome!! I too got a copy of Cloud Atlas and plan to read it and then watch the movie. But I doubt I'll get to it while it is still in the theaters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenners! Yeah, I doubt I'll get to it while it's still in theaters. I don't mind being behind.

      Delete
  10. Ooh, I am so glad you got Cloud Atlas. i got interrupted mid writing and haven't been back to writing anything -- family after family parties. Now I am so far behind in writing about books, I don't know where to begin. I was also sick but with the hackiest cough I have ever had. Anytime I would try to talk,I would cough instead. A sign? God's way of shutting me up? It's almost gone.
    Be careful with the iron supplements. I took them twice in my life when the doc prescribed. The second time I restarted on my own and told my doc after the fact. Was told it was okay, but not to do it again as I could get too much iron and that wasn't good either. But I don't remember why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you're having a busy holiday season, Barbara. I hope your cough is all gone now and you're feeling much better. Will be very careful with the iron supplements.

      Delete
  11. Yay for Thanksgiving and new books and Mexican food! Boo for stomach bugs that hang on :( Eat some liver, take your pills..etc. etc!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, what a weekend! It sounds like there was mega munching, so I am assuming that the tummy felt better, and I am glad for that! Also, you got some great books there! I have to say that Cloud Atlas was too difficult for me, and it surprised me that I couldn't tackle it. It was just too smart for the sake of it, and when I got to the third section, I sighted in frustration and gave up. But you, my friend, are a much more gifted reader than I, so I am hoping that you can tell me all about it and if I should try again. I am so envious of your Tiny Book of Tiny Stories! I want that so bad!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zibilee, Cloud Atlas looks like an interesting book to say the least. I'm not sure how I'll do with it. Probably need more brain power than I have available right now, so we'll see how it goes. lol

      Tiny Book of Tiny Stories coming up soon!

      Delete
  13. Whew, thank goodness you were feeling better by Thanksgiving! I came down with a weird stomach bug last week, too, and was so worried it would hamper my green bean casserole-consuming time. Very glad to hear you're back on your feet, and it sounds like you had a lovely day! I'm sure Greyson is glad to be hangin' with mama again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Meg! We did have a lovely time. Greyson seems glad to be home, though he's getting so big and independent. :(

      Delete
  14. You haven't read Cloud Atlas yet? Ooh, hope you love it!

    The Devil Wears Prada is probably the one case ever where I thought the movie was better than the book. I'm curious to see what you'll think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I love it, too, Joanna! We'll see!

      There are a few instances where I liked a movie better than the book. I do adore the film adaptation of The Devil Wears Prada, so we'll see if my opinion changes over the course of the book.

      Delete
  15. Glad you got yourself to the doctor and got on the mend. I battled anemia in my teens and it really wipes a girl out.

    Great books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does wipe a girl out, Lisa! For sure!

      Delete
  16. Sounds like a fun time and a good break from the routine - which I think is always good medicine for whatever ails you!

    I love Half Price Books. We don't have them in Michigan, so I always make a trip to the one on Preston Road in Frisco when I'm visiting my son. The clearance shelf is Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Becca!

      Sorry you don't have Half-Price in Michigan, but I'm glad you can hit up the Frisco store when you're down here. If you haven't been to the flagship on Northwest Highway, you should try to make the trek sometime.

      Delete
  17. Good luck with Cloud Atlas! Care (Care's Online Book Club) and I hosted a read-along of it earlier this year and I ended up getting so much out of the experience. I will say that the first section (Adam Ewing) is slow, just get through it and the book really picks up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! I will be going through and reading some of the commentary from y'alls discussion.

      Delete
  18. Sounds like a great time with incredible food! I lived in Austin for two years and loved it - such a fun city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anbolyn, Austin is SO much fun. I don't make it down there very often, but I'd like to go more!

      Delete
  19. Love the picture of you two by the Alamo, love the Mexican food (YUM!), love that you bought Cloud Atlas as I did, too, over Thanksgiving. I see that you have Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter too, which now that I think about it is surely one fo my favorite reads for 2012. Thanks for sharing your bounty, in so many ways, with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellezza, so glad you have good things to say about Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter. I'm looking forward to diving into it, as well as Cloud Atlas. :D

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!