Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Top Ten Books I'd Dig for My Birthday!

I'm a'gonna be turning 32 on Saturday. I have managed to almost completely ignore the fact that I have a birthday coming up. If it weren't for Mom and David asking for a list of items I'd like for my birthday, I would not have thought of it at all! I'm not avoiding. I'm not scared of the number or anything, I just find as one gets older one tends to not pay as much attention. There are bills and house cleaning and meals to prepare. Jobs to find. Phone conversations to be had. Back episodes of Rules of Engagement to watch. In short, I kinda forgot.

But I was reminded this morning when I visited The Broke and the Bookish for Top Ten Tuesday! Lo and behold, Bridget listed the top ten books she wants for her birthday. And I think I'll do the same for the heck of it. I'm always delighted and surprised if I receive books for my birthday. I'm far more likely to bank a gift card which is TOTALLY fine. If I'm so lucky this year, I will use this list to guide my own buying. So here they are!


The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff -- I've had this one in my crosshairs for a while now. You may remember that I posted a "Requesting Recommendations" about polygamy a while back. Many suggestions came of that post, but I think this work of fiction remains at the tippy-top of my wishlist. 

Astray by Emma Donoghue -- This is one of the only NEW new releases you'll find on my wishlist. I'm more of a backlist girl. But I first encountered Emma Donoghue in her lovely (weird) short story collection of twisted fairy tales,  Kissing the Witch. It was only later that I tackled the uber-seller, ROOM. I'm itching to get back to her shorter pieces, and these stories are tied together thematically with instances of characters going astray. Intriguing!

The Birth House by Ami Mckay -- Another product of a "Requesting Recommendations" post on midwifery. This one has been on the radar for a good long while. 


 

Love Times Three: Our True Story of a Polygamous Marriage by Joe, Alina, Valerie, and Vicki Darger -- My work buddy and blog creeper, Shannon, brought this one to my attention round about the time I requested polygamist titles. Apparently these folks inspired the TV show, Big Love. Which I have not watched. But I should!

Magic for Beginners by Kelly Link -- A collection of odd, fantastical short stories. This one first came to my attention back in 2006 after Heather reviewed it. How's that for staying power on ye olde wishlist? I also seem to be seeing a short story trend emerge.

Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Foods by Jessica Seinfeld -- I can attribute the wishlisting of this book to another former colleague!!! When I was complaining about my issues getting Greyson to eat veggies, Katy suggested this one.



St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves by Karen Russell -- I read Russell's odd, award-nominated Swamplandia! earlier this year. It was surprisingly pleasing to the reading palette, and I knew immediately I wanted to read this unique collection of short stories.  

Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook by Anthony Bourdain -- I fell in love with Anthony Bourdain many and many a year ago and quite by accident. I think it started with a random episode of No Reservations, and that kickstarted it all. I soon fell into his writing with Kitchen Confidential and A Cook's Tour. With No Reservations calling it quits, it's about time I returned to my beloved Tony. It's a scandal that I haven't read this one already. Bourdain is truly the reason I fell in love with food writing and travel memoirs. Thanks, Tony, for influencing my tastes -- both literary and culinary. 

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller -- This is the random title on the list if you ask me. While I've long been OVER mythology and Greek lore (a side effect of two degrees in English), I cannot resist the pull of The Song of Achilles. I've simply read too many good reviews and can hardly contain myself a moment longer!


Finally, the big, bad mother of the whole list. The emperor of wishlist items. Justin Cronin's follow-up to The Passage. THE TWELVE!!! Note: I will be buying The Twelve in e-book format. Who wants to lug this beast around? 

So what's on your wishlist??? Birthday or not. :)





48 comments:

  1. Magic for Beginners looks and sounds soooo familiar, but I don't actually remember ever reading or buying it. So weird.

    Happy Birthday! Hope those gift cards come through for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanna! I just can't get this collection out of my head. Must try it! :D

      Delete
  2. In order to inspire any potential gift-givers, it should be known that The Song of Achilles is on sale on Amazon (e-book) for 3,99 at the moment (I know because I just bought it). Hope you get all the books you could wish for on your birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oohh, thanks Beth!!! Sending the inspirational vibes toward my friends and family. ;)

      Delete
  3. Great list! I loved The 19th Wife and The Birth House.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! Glad to know these two were winners!

      Delete
  4. I have The Birth House, and The Twelve, so if I ever get them finished, I could possibly send them your way! I hope that you have a very Happy and bookish Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Thanks, Zibilee. We'll see how much progress (if any) I make by the time you're done. lol I always have good intentions, and then books sit around forever.

      Delete
  5. I have a sort of birthday list on my blog today too! It's going around I guess. Good luck with your list... happy times, that TWELVE book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that, Suey! Happy early birthday to ya!

      Delete
  6. Happy early birthday to you! I hope you get all on your wishlist and more! I still need to read The Passage so I am way behind with that one. You have several others that interest me too! My big 50th is coming up in July. I'm thinking I need to assemble a list of 50 for my wishlist! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEFINITELY a list of 50, Kathleen! lol You deserve 'em all.

      Delete
  7. Happy early birthday!! You must must must read the Bourdain book. If you liked his other ones, you'll be all over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely give it a go, Kelly!

      Delete
  8. Happy soon to be birthday! Mine just passed, so I didn't get a list up in time. Medium Raw is fun. I was so sad to watch the last episode of No Reservations last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I didn't get to see it, so I'm sure I'll be downloading it from iTunes or somewhere.

      Delete
  9. I have yet to read a single Emma Donoghue book, I really must because I've heard so many good things about her.
    I did read Swamplandia and didn't really enjoy it, but am still intrigued by that short story collection.

    And I loved The Song of Achilles when I read it, although I have read some reviews criticising it for not sticking to the source material. That didn't bother me at all in this book. It was very much an adaptation and not a retelling.

    Hope you get some of your wishlist and have a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fence! Donoghue is good stuff. You might like Kissing the Witch, too.

      Isn't that premise on the short stories too much to pass up?

      And I'm glad you liked Song of Achilles. That gives me even more hope!

      Delete
  10. Love times three sounds interesting. Will look into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy it if you get around to it, Rikki!

      Delete
  11. These look like some good ones. Deceptively Delicious would be helpful as my kids are the big suck at eating veggies. They usually do in the end, but there is soooo much complaining. Sneaking them in is genius.

    And yay for a 1980 baby! I turned 32 a couple of weeks ago. Same same. Hope you have a great birthday on Saturday and you get many, many books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristi! I'm SO glad she brought Deceptively Delicious to my attention. I must get my hands on a copy. It's torture getting veggies into Greyson.

      Happy belated birthday!

      Delete
  12. Happy early birthday :)
    I want to read The Birth House too, even though I don't have any children. Song of Achilles is AWESOME and I'm not a mythology fan. My husband is reading The Twelve at the moment and enjoying it so far. So you have great picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam! Glad to know y'all have enjoyed (are enjoying) so any of these picks! Looks like I can't go wrong!

      Delete
  13. Love the list.

    I have read and I enjoyed The 19th Wife! You might want to check your library for a digital copy if you also have a digital reader. I got it that way pretty quickly.

    Deceptively Delicious is an awesome book! I haven't made many of the recipes, and I don't have kids, but I got the book to prep for when I do (and to try to make my own meals healthier with some sneaky veggies).

    And OMG, The Song of Achilles is one you should steal if no one buys it for you because it was soooo good! Ok, no thievery, I was exaggerating, but it's a MUST! I reviewed it recently (http://loveatfirstbook.com/2012/10/25/the-song-of-achilles-by-madeline-miller-book-29/) and while I didn't do the best review, it was because I was soooo moved by this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed The 19th Wife, Rebecca! I creep on my library's e-book offerings pretty often, and The 19th Wife isn't on the list. Bummer!

      Also glad you can vouch for Deceptively Delicious. Cannot wait to get my hands on it.

      LOL, and I will definitely get my hands on The Song of Achilles one way or another! No thievery, I promise!

      Delete
  14. I also love The passage. In Spain The twelve is still not available and I don't feel like reading it in English yet, but I'm looking forward to having it in my hands!! (someday...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Isi! Enjoy The Twelve when you can get around to it!

      Delete
    2. I'm sure I'll do it! Thanks!

      Delete
  15. Hope you have a fantastic birthday this weekend! And all of those books look utterly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have The 19th Wife and don't know why I haven't read it yet. I've got to get to that one soon. The Twelve is on my Nook, but I'm thinking about rereading The Passage before I start The Twelve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to your thoughts on The 19th Wife if you get around to it before I do! I thought about re-reading The Passage. I might still, but that's a lot of time commitment and my reading has been slow this year. Great quality, but decreased quantity.

      Delete
  17. Happy birthday a little early! I listened to Love Times Three and I found it fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!! And I'm really glad you liked Love Times Three. It looks fascinating to me!

      Delete
  18. I usually get gift cards too, which I love, but it would be nice to get a book once in a while, too! I wonder if people are afraid to get avid readers books because they're worried the reader has already read them? Hmmm. Maybe I'll post a similar list once December hits and send the link to all my friends and relatives :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, it is fun to get a physical book. But when it comes to books (and my dramatically decreased pile of them), I'll take whatever I can get! Like I said, this list will probably be more of a buying guide for me and I'm totally OK with that. Looking forward to your December list!

      Delete
  19. Happy early birthday! I hope you get everything on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy birthday! The Song of Achilles is a really good book. The Birth House and St. Lucy's Home for Girls are both on my reading lists. I hope you get some of the books you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vasilly! I'm looking forward to all of these. Maybe we should try to do a buddy read if we can get ourselves orchestrated. lol

      Delete
  21. Happy birthday! Mine was a few weeks ago and I bought two cocktail books and Iced by Karen Marie Moning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worthy purchases, Tasha. Your cocktail pics make me drool!

      Delete
  22. Happy Birthday Andi!! I remember WAY BACK WHEN I was 32.. I had begun to forget how old I was for a few years! And I am not exaggerating, it's just when life is topsy-turvy for eons the small things tend to go out of your head. So there were a few times when I did the math in my head to figure out my age, pretty much from ages 32-36 I think it was.
    And my Amazon Wishlist used to be the format for my father to buy stuff for me, God rest his soul! He wouldn't have to scratch his head to figure out what his finicky daughter wanted, he would just buy straight from the Wishlist. Those were fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy happy birthday Andi! People in my life are too afraid to buy me books, lol, I'll take a gift card any day of the week though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have Astray and St. Lucy's but haven't read either one yet! Hope you get everything you want and more and have a WONDERFUL birthday darling!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Birthday! I've read a few of these. I'd definitely recommend listening to the Bourdain one on audio. I think it probably works better having him deliver it. And I had that Seinfeld book at one point and didn't make one single thing from it. If I still have it, I'd be happy to send it to you but I think it is long gone.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Magic for Beginners is fantastic. The Faery Handbag has long stayed in my mind. It's one of my very favorite stories! I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!