Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas Recap

One more Christmas down and let the recovery begin!!! This year has been such a whirlwind. It's kind of nice to sit in bed with my laptop the day after Christmas and reflect.


The most exciting, unusual, and surprising part of Christmas this year was the snow. In Texas. If you follow me on Twitter or Facebook you've probably seen me ranting about 70+ degree weather this fall and winter. But as we always say in this area, "If you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes and it'll change." Well played, Texas weather. Well played. 

I spent the afternoon of Christmas day at Chuck's house with his girlfriend Michelle, the Rockets, Michelle's kiddos, and her parents. And Greyson-cutie, of course.  I loaded up the gifts and the broccoli/cheese casserole, and shortly after I arrived the snow started pouring down. I stayed from about 1:00-4:30 when I was afraid road conditions would be going downhill, and by the time I got back to my house--45 minutes away-- the traffic was crawling along at 20 mph on very slick, icy roads. Crazy! I tucked my car into the garage for a change, did laundry, and cleaned. And I even read a little. 

It was nice that the kids got to spend some time outdoors having snowball fights and whatnot. But I tell you, Texans don't get to practice their icy driving skills very often, and I prefer to stay out of that mess. I'm planning to pick Greyson up a little later today, but right now temps are still in the 20s, so I'm holding out for something over freezing. :) 

Greyson had a fantastic Christmas. He enjoyed being cute and showing off. He was enthralled with a pair of gloves he received. He was running around in a Spongebob pajama shirt when I got to the house, and he spent some quality time sitting in my lap watching The Lorax. He has a few more gifts and his stocking to open here at my house, but he certainly made a haul at his dad's. :) The Rockets were in equally good form with some really cool gifts and lots of yummy stuff to munch on. 


Christmas has been a little odd and spread out for me this year. We had our family gathering with my cousins on December 16th. Then David and I spent the weekend in Waco on the 21st and 22nd, and then we had the gathering at Chuck's yesterday. I've had a wonderful time on each of these excursions, but it's been different, for sure! But good different with plenty of time to enjoy good company on each outing. 

Some Christmases are bookish ones, but this Christmas was decided owly! The family has caught on to the fact that I adore owls, and the owl-related gifts are pouring in. 
  • A green owl figurine from "Greyson"
  • A porcelain owl figurine from Mom
  • Owl kitchen towels from Mom
  • Owl coffee mug (Mom)
  • An owl insulated cup and insulated coffee cup (Mom)
  • There's also an owl cell phone cover that didn't make it into the picture, owl recipe cards, and an owl oven mitt. All Mom! Go Mom! 
  • Oh! And Mom's boyfriend Rick gave me a bathroom trash can with an owl on it. Love!
Mom also gifted me a very nice bakeware set (the red and yellow pieces are pictured here and there's a larger green one). David gave me a 10-piece Corningware set that I absolutely needed and love. My cousins-- Kevin and Carol Ann, and their bunch--gave me a large set of assorted teas and a nice heavy mug for my office with a pen and ink on the front. Last but not least, Chuck and Michelle also gifted me some Bath and Body Works soaps and a Starbucks gift card. Antibacterial and coffee -- seriously, every mom needs as many of these things as possible. 


Santa is here!

Relaxing, watching The Lorax in my lap.


And what's Christmas without some books? This year, I bought my own books, but that's the way of things. If I don't receive books, I gift some to myself. :D 

 

I picked up an e-book copy of The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. If you haven't read it already, it's on sale for $3.99. Get 'em while they're hot!

I also snagged Howl's Moving Castle for $1.99 in e-book format. I've never read Wynne Jones, so this will be fun! 

With that, I'm off to shower and assess the driving situation outside. The house is very quiet when Greyson is not home, and I miss the little booger something terrible. 

In the meantime, tell me about your Christmas! Any books? Family fun? Harrowing travels? I hope it's all good stuff. :) 





21 comments:

  1. That's a lot of snow for Texas!
    Glad you had a good Christmas, sounds like you got some lovely present and Song of Achilles is an awesome read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of snow for Texas! I think we got a total of 4 inches. Can't wait to dive further into The Song of Achilles. I read a little bit of it last night and can't wait to read more.

      Delete
  2. I'm on the laptop in my pjs as well...I know what you mean about the weather. The temps last night were in the 70's and this morning it is 37 in Mississippi. Oy. Our Christmas is spread out as well but most of it doesn't happen until after the official holiday. A little bit of family at a time isn't a bad thing though :p
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good place to be, eh Patti? :) It's a crazy bunch of weather fluctuations, but I'm just glad Texas has decided to give us SOME cold weather. The snow is still hanging on today, and it's so pretty.

      Enjoy your remaining celebrations!

      Delete
  3. Snow in Texas on Christmas? There was snow here for Christmas 2 years ago, but I missed it. I'm glad your day was merry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a huge surprise! Some are saying it's been 49 years since we had a white Christmas. I didn't think it'd been quite that long, but it is a rarity!

      Delete
  4. Snow! It's easy for me to oooh and awww, since we never get any. :-D I have to visit exotic locales like Wisconsin if I want to experience snow.

    And Song of Achilles is a most excellent choice. I loved that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I hear ya, Jill. We don't get it often either. Though I see that there's a possibility in the forecast for next week, too. Ack!

      Thanks! Looking forward to diving into the story.

      Delete
  5. Oooh look at your presents! Those baking dishes are awesome :) I'm glad you had such a good Christmas. My holidays have been spread out as well. I have one more celebration to go.

    Song of Achilles is fab, hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they??! So cute and so nice. Enjoy your final celebration, Jennifer!

      Delete
  6. We had snow a few days before Christmas, but it still looked pretty on the 25th. Too cold for any melting! We were at 4 degrees a couple of mornings when we woke up. Brrrr. And, I remember how awful it is to drive in TX after a snow (or ice) storm. Too many freeway overpasses/bridges! Scary!

    Looks like you had a great celebration with lots of goodies. Ours was relatively quiet, so we stayed in and watched a few movies. I bought myself Cheryl Strayed's Tiny Beautiful Things and Violets in March. I have a few more books on hold that I may go ahead and pick up this morning since I didn't get a single book from anyone. I guess they figure I have enough or their not sure what to give me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, Les. That is so bone-chilling cold. lol Ugh! Don't think I could handle it. And yes, the driving was not fun.

    A quiet day sounds good too. I hope you enjoy Tiny Beautiful Things as much as I have so far. It's one I pick up on and off and read through an essay or two at a time. Such wonderful words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay White Christmas! Georgians have no idea how to drive in it either, so I try to just stay put and enjoy the view. Awesome gifts and cutie Greyson there, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a LOT of owls! Maybe we'll have to start calling you Athena...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Snow in Texas … thta is weird! I wish we had some snow … it always makes it feel more Christmasy. Glad you had a wonderful holiday and I wish you all the best in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds and looks like you had a wonderful holiday season. Love all of those owl goodies! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you had a lovely, relaxing Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. gr. I bought the Madeline Miller and was charged like 17 bucks! I was so mad and got a refund... Not really a good price for an ebook, so I guess it was just me if you got the good price!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love all the owl goodies! Also: Howl's Moving Castle is my favoritest DWJ in the whole wide world. I've actually read it multiple times :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!