Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Personally: Of Thankfulness, Relief, and New Job News!

I don't even know where to start this post because the last few months have been such a huge rollercoaster ride. As you're well aware, I was laid off from my job as Interactive Media Director in mid-September. I stayed positive, but as with any lay off, there were highs and lows. I've learned some of the most important lessons of my life since then...

Lesson #1: I needed a break. I've been running myself into the ground for years. Y'all know it. I know it. I work hard and often, never any less than three jobs -- one full-time and two side teaching gigs online preferably. Never have I been more thankful for my online teaching opportunities. They've really held me over through this unexpected break, and they've kept me busy and occupied with something wonderful and positive. However, I needed to find more balance in my life. More time for Greyson. More time at home. More time for myself. Less time in traffic, fewer weekends in the office. I like myself more now than I have in a long time. I've taken steps toward a healthier lifestyle, and I spend more quality time with my son.

Lesson #2: Higher education is truly where I belong. I have always felt a calling to be an educator -- a bone-deep, soul-deep, spiritual calling. I've known it since high school, and even though I've had some great professional and educational experiences away from higher ed, I always come back. I've been an educator since 2003, I joined a college faculty in 2004, and I've never truly been away since then. I love the people I meet in higher education, I love the "issues" and the "causes" in higher ed. I thrive on a college campus.

Lesson #3: The most formative higher ed experience I had as a student was at my alma mater (MA, BA). While I started my college career at Baylor University, I transferred after my sophomore year to join the New Media program at a mid-size university in rural northeast Texas. It was the university I grew up knowing, and like most hard-headed 21-year olds, that didn't make it particularly attractive back then. However, what I found when I transferred was a transformative experience. I enjoyed my peers more, I bonded with the faculty, and all the relationships I built prepared me so thoroughly to be an educator and to be a confident, prepared professional. I've made friendships that will last a lifetime with smart, insightful, astonishing people. I could not be more thankful for getting my education in this place.

Lesson #4: I am tougher than I thought. One of my biggest fears in life is not being employed. Specifically, not being able to provide for my family and myself. This experience has just showed me that I have the backbone to stand up and take care of things -- budget, scrimp and save, endure, network, create opportunities, use all the skills I've been blessed with to get through.

Lesson #5: I have strong faith. I've thought before that I lost it, but it's still there. Faith in people, faith in myself, faith in my purpose, and faith in God.

I got a call last night offering me the job of Public Relations Director at my alma mater.

It's been a long interview process (about four weeks). It's been stressful. You may have been reading throughout the phone interview, panel interview with the search committee, and finally a lengthy meeting full of campus tours, meeting admin, and a sit-down discussion with my potential supervisor last Friday. It's been a lot. It's been stressful because I've wanted it so badly. So badly that I was afraid to say how much I wanted it.

In light of this amazing, wonderful, fantastic news, I'm apt to get teary-eyed. And I'll probably do it again typing this last bit. (Yep, here they come.)

I am so profoundly thankful.

I am thankful for work that I believe in -- writing, editing, social media, storytelling, in the name of institutional advancement and higher education. I am thankful to be joining a team of good people. I am thankful that my supervisor values my experience and my vision. Thankful for my family and loved-ones who have rallied around me. For the scads of you who have commented on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and here. It's truly humbling to see so many of you pulling for me, praying for me, and sending your love over the miles. I could not ask for more. I am overwhelmed with goodness.

It feels like I am in the exact right place.

Thank YOU.









35 comments:

  1. This sounds like the perfect fit for you - marrying two of your interests together! I'm so happy for you, and wish you a wonderful experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you, Andi! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEA!!! What perfect news. I'm so happy for you. Finding a job is hard, but finding a job/career you love sometimes feels impossible. I'm so glad you've reached this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good heavens, woman, you made me all teary-eyed! Seriously, your happiness just radiates out of the computer screen and I'd bet anything I'm not the only one whose day was just made much brighter. Congratulations, Andi. I hope you know how much you deserve all these wonderful things falling into place!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such wonderful news! It sounds ideal, and I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. CONGRATULATIONS! This is such exciting news and it sounds like you have found the perfect job for you with lots of life balance so you have time to be the wonderful mother that you already are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You deserve it =) As each door closes, another one opens!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Andiloo! I knew you'd get this job. I didn't have to cross my parts too hard (except after I drank two canned drinks in a row, but that's a different story).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am honestly so thrilled for you, I was grinning reading about your job offer! I'm glad you've managed to conquer your fear head on too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! That sounds like the perfect job for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAHOOOOO!. Wonderful. Wonderful -- and I do hope you get to spend more time with Greyson too. More time for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, congrats! You deserve all the good news you can get. I'm happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats, Andi! You are so deserving after all your hard work. Looks like you're going to be having a blessed Christmas and a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! Congratulations on the new job and fthor making it trough some stressful times.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations, Andi! You deserve the most wonderful job in the world, and I hope it is even better than you currently anticipate.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay!!!!! So happy for all that's going well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations! So thrilled for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What wonderful news! All the best in your new, awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I couldn't be happier for you. It really seems like this is where you're meant to be right now. Congrats"

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations! I can think of no one more deserving of such an honor. Your post made me a little teary-eyed. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Woohoo! I am so happy this worked out for you. Your post made me all teary, too. Great feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so happy and so proud of you. I couldn't imagine myself not in higher ed and it is certainly a calling. I suppose if we're going to be mommmy-neighbors I'll have to move to Texas! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so happy for you. It is just so true that when one door closes another opens. I think this was a wonderful experience for you to go through even though it was probably scary at times. The lessons you've learned will stick with you for the rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, my goodness, CONGRATULATIONS!! I am so very, very happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations Andi. That is great news, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats! You totally deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good people deserve good things and you are one of the best. Congratulations to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations! I'm really happy for you. Hugs and Happy Holidays!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations! Getting let go in September may have felt awful but what a lot you gained from the time you've had between jobs and it gave you this wonderful opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That is so very, very awesome. I am so happy for you and appreciate this post so much. Makes my heart glad.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such great news! Congratulations. You will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have to admit that reading your post made me a bit teary eyed. And a bit sorry that I've been away and didn't get to cheer you on through your interview process and the initial lay off. However, I am constantly reminded through blogging, reading, and just knowing people that human beings can persevere through a lot of tough stuff. It is amazing how strong and how blessed we all are. Even when the worst happens, we seem to forge a new path. We find ways to pick up the pieces and treasure what is in front of us even more. And that is definitely something to celebrate and treasure in the midst of this holiday season!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!