Wednesday, December 05, 2012

The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories, Vol. 2

THIS is The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories, volume 2. It is edited by Joseph Gordon-Levitt and wirrow and created through art-and-words collaboration from HitRECORD.

I reviewed the first volume of Tiny Stories last year, and I absolutely loved it. It saddens me to say that I was not as pleased with this volume.

One of the things I loved most about the first volume was the wicked sense of irony in some of the stories. The sharp, clever marriage of the images and text. Somehow I found the clever factor lacking quite a lot in this volume. Most of my favorite tiny stories were in the opening pages, which made the rest of the book a bit of a let-down.

Was it bad? No. It had big shoes to fill, and I simply didn't like it as much as the first volume. That said, I've read it twice and marked several favorites (none of them had images available to share).

Let it be known far and wide that I am still crazy in love with HitRECORD and the way they work. They split all their profits with the artists and writers who produced the stories and artwork and submitted/collaborated on the website. They are a great art-and-words collective doing something really unusual and beautiful. Even though I didn't enjoy this collection as much as the first, it's worth having on the shelf, and it's worth supporting such a wonderful ongoing project.

Click to embiggen. 



Enjoy a bit of Joseph Gordon-Levitt talking about this volume.


 



Pub. Date: November 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins
Format: Hardcover
ISBN-13: 9780062121639
Source: I received a copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Check!


9 comments:

  1. I loved both Tiny Stories volumes but get what you're saying. I think this would make a great stocking stuffer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kathey...haha. Someone needs to put these little cuties in my stocking!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read either of these but do they come with the editor, because I just love him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok so I just watched the video and I want allllllll of the books!!! This looks soooo good!!! (Although i still want the editor as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree -- I thought there was just something a little more special about the stories in the first volume. This one seemed more sad and mundane, though there were still a couple of gems in there and the art was fantastic. I am really interested to see how the third volume turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so want to read both of these books, and I have been trying to wrangle the hubby into convincing him that I need them. Not sure if it's going to work, but I will eventually be reading them at some point, when I can!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked the first volume but I didn't love it. Maybe I'll enjoy this volume more? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the first volume and just liked the second, the first time I read it. But, then I read it a couple more times and it started to grow on me. I do think it's missing a little zing. S'okay. Still gonna love on it. Regular Joe is so stupidly cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt the same way about the second volume as you did, Andi. I'll give it another read today and see if I can find a gem in the rough, but I think the first volume is the better of the two.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!