Thursday, January 31, 2013

On the Homefront: The January Cure

There's a lot of that OMG going around here lately. Some of you may wonder what I'm up to when I'm not reading. And others of you don't give a poop, so don't stick around to read this post if you're one of those people. Just giving you fair warning that this is TOTALLY un-book-related.

These are the things that make me tick in life:

1. My child. He rocks. Age almost-three is gold.
2. My work. It does too. PRing and teaching!
3. Reading. Duh.
4. Food. Real food and cooking and stuff.
5. Home decor, cleaning, and general nest-making domesticity.

So, you need to know this shiz because I regularly post about books and whether or not I'm reading. I've recently begun to share my weight loss journey and my foray into real food choices. And NOW--drum roll--we're getting to the homey/domestic stuff. And we're getting into this, because lately it's been THE THING urging me away from books most often.

Many moons ago. Like in December, Vasilly mentioned Apartment Therapy's January Cure. This is an ongoing project throughout the month of January where one readies one's home for awesomeness through cleaning, organization, goal-setting, project-doing, and prettifying. There's a task for every day of the month, with the exception of weekends which are chore or project-related and tend to cover specific sections of the house.

Now, I am a rogue participant, so I haven't actually been doing the items in order, but I have been doing them when time and Other Things allow. Here's how the list has shaped up thus far. Strikes = DONE.

1. Make a list of projects in each room
2. Set up the Outbox
3. Weekend Chores: Buy Flowers,  Vacuum/Mop everything, Stock Green Cleaners, Use Outbox 
4. Sit in unusual places, observe problematic room parts, take apart and rebuild mentally
5. Select one project from the list
6. Choose a piece of art to frame
7. Choose a date/time for a get-together, send out e-invites
8. Weekend Chores: Clean kitchen and de-clutter/organize as you go; find a recipe and make an enjoyable meal; buy flowers
9. Create and use a “landing strip” – buy floor mat for doorway, coat hooks/hangers, landing strip (kitchen table)
10. Work on Goal Project
11. Media Fast
12. De-clutter books and media
13. Weekend Chores: flowers and bedroom including a purge of drawers (!!!) 
14. Get Files in Order (refer to e-mail to know what to keep)…get a file box! Set up a schedule for dealing with mail/bills.
15. Clean up cords!
16. Clear up and clean out bathrooms/medicine cabinets 
17. Living room lighting
18. Weekend: Flowers, clean up living room, clear out the Outbox!
19. Catch up and take an “after” photo! Pic of goal project.
20. Hang artwork.
21. Speedy spruce and surface clean.
22. Shop for get-together goodies.

The success for me (so far) was actually in creating a list of desired improvements or projects on that very first day. This has given me a really good road map to keep in mind as I'm getting my house in order.

A few things to know about my house...

  • It's oooooold. It loves sucking in dust through its nooks and crannies. 
  • Rooms: living room with an open/connected office, two bedrooms, two bath. Kitchen, too! 
  • I moved into my pad in June 2012. In about 7 months it's amazing how much we've "spread out" into the space. I was more or less a nomad for 10 years before this, so I acquired almost every stitch of furniture and decor in the last 7 months. Everything I had when I moved in was crammed into my mom's house.  I've decorated and furnished with LOTS of second-hand items, thriftiness  and getting/making stuff on the cheap. 
So I guess we should establish some BEFORE shots...

My living room and kitchen around Christmas. I SWEAR it's not always this bad. 

My living room and kitchen on a more normal occasion. You can see where clutter happens. 

Greyson's bedroom was SO sad and empty. He slept in a crib in the office. 

So we've now established my bad habits. When I moved into this house, I knew I'd have to live in it for a bit before I understood what needed improving/organizing/changing. And, BOY HOWDY do I know now! I don't have tons of storage anywhere, so cluttery mess happens around the corners of the living room and in spaces we don't regularly use. And the dining table! OH the dining table! And some of you may remember that my poor child was sleeping in a crib in my office because his rigged-up second-hand crib would not fit through the door of his room. 

Now, I'm just really teasing you at this point, because I have every intention of getting some serious mileage out of a series of posts about my January (and February) Cure. So I'm just going to show you one set of "afters" today. 



This seems to be the big project I picked when I started. I didn't really even mean to, except that it was time for my kid to get into a big boy bed, and I thought he deserved a cool room that he can enjoy. 

I'm really excited that my child's room no longer echoes!!! And it doesn't look like an asylum!!! Here's what happened...
  • Bought a bedroom set from Chuck--Greyson's daddio--including a nightstand, TV stand (currently used as storage in the closet), dresser, headboard. This also included a queen-sized mattress and box springs, and a bedframe. 
  • Oh, and I also got a really nice, free entertainment center from a friend (can't see it in these shots) for extra storage and a TV Greyson DOES NOT USE YET. 
  • Did the bed switcheroo and gave Greyson the full-size mattress and box springs that were in my bedroom. Took the BIG OLE QUEEN for me. He also inherited my linens which match his room.
  • Went on a shopping spree at Target! Got the green quilt, window toppers, lamp, decorative dinosaur pillow, and the artwork hanger behind the bed all for $120. 
Still to do:
  • Need to hang the headboard since it won't fit a full-size and don't want it falling!
  • Need a bedskirt (and maybe a bedframe...don't really care) to hid the ugly box springs. 
  • PAINT! This room will either be a camel color OR a light shade of blue. 
  • Hang some artwork I've collected for him that needs a frame.
  • Re-stick his super-awesome chalkboard bus decal somewhere on his walls. 
This weekend I have a lot of cleaning/organizing planned. As with most moms, I betcha, we put off our own spaces 'til the end. I'm tackling the master bedroom with reckless abandon! 

Have you set to your spring cleaning yet? Have any homey projects in mind? Let's tawk about it. 


37 comments:

  1. You did an amazing job on his room, LOVE IT!! :-) Can't wait to see more after pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I can't wait to paint. I think that'll really complete it and bring it all together.

      Delete
  2. Awesome job! You are inspiring me. We have yet to really unpack from our big move from Colorado to south Texas. We've unloaded just what we needed (and could find) to make it livable and to accommodate house guests. I go through phases where I'll follow FlyLady and fall off the wagon pretty quickly. I just need to make a plan that will jive with our every changing schedules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teri! I cannot even imagine that big/far of a move! I moved back and forth to NC several years ago, and I had far less stuff (like just a carload). But I can't imagine moving a house full!

      Finding the right plan for the schedule is the key!

      Delete
  3. I adore Greyson's room!!!

    LOL--our house is nothing but projects waiting to happen!!! Fixer-up does not even begin to describe this place. Seriously.

    Oh, and btw, so envious of your two bathrooms. We have only one. For five people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debi, I totally understand. There's always something more to do. And I could not function with one bathroom. That would make me nervous!!!

      Delete
  4. Oh fun: Greyson's room looks excellent! I spent New Year's Eve getting all of my books transferred to my new book cases, but I still need to add the knick knacks. Just waiting for my health to cooperate! Yesterday I gave a hard-core cleaning/scrubbing to my bathroom and tidied up my bedroom, as well as doing some other chores I'd been putting off (putting the duvet in its cover, some mending). Was all very satisfying! Since I live w my parents, I'm only responsible for my suite, but it's more space than my old bedroom (17' x 14' bedroom instead of 10' x 14') and includes a private bathroom (it was a mother in law suite) and sliding patio door w little deck attached, so I feel like I'm in a studio apartment. :)

    Also, I've been in Debi's house: it is one of the most structurally awesome houses I've ever seen and the rooms are all lovely looking and tidy. I heart her house so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eva! Your bookcases look beautiful in your Library Loot videos. Can't wait to see it when you've had time to insert the knick knacks!

      I need to do the hardcore bathroom scrubbing, but so far I've managed to put it off for a bit. lol I should do that now, but I just wanna read! ;)

      Love that you have a nice suite setup. I'm sure it makes it feel much more apartment-like.

      And I wanna see Debi house pics! ;)

      Delete
  5. Impressive progress! I wanted to join in the apartment therapy but it's a year-long thing for me, it was impossible to do something each day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanna! It's almost impossible for me to do something everyday, too. I find myself catching up on weekends.

      Delete
  6. It looks great! I've never heard of that project, I will have to look into it. There's definitely plenty to be done around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali! This was the first year I'd heard of it. Cannot thank Vasilly enough for introducing me!

      Delete
  7. Let's not talk about spring cleaning. Greyson's room looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greyson's room looks great! I am sure he is excited about his big boy bed! I live in such a cramped space that there is no chance in heck I can get any redecorating done because it will still be a cramped, cluttered mess. I am trying to work on organizing some smaller stuff though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becca! He was not excited about his big boy bed at first, but he sleeps in it SO well (knock on wood). I have to drag him out of bed nearly every morning.

      I've been trying to clean out clutter where I can. I have no idea where all this damn STUFF comes from! lol

      Delete
  9. Great dinosaur pillow and curtains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara! He likes putting his arm in the dino's mouth and shrieking. lol

      Delete
  10. Greyson's room definitely looks much cozier. Houses are just never-ending projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tasha! They definitely are. I'm so glad his room doesn't echo anymore. hehe

      Delete
  11. We're in a little different mode now because we're a month or two away from having been in our house for 10 years. A lot of things have changed in that time but some things haven't and they're starting to seem old and shabby. For example, I had some houseplants hanging in the living room that we brought from our previous apartment and the containers are from like 1998 and, well, look it. And the plants weren't looking too great anymore either. So today I finally pulled them down and we'll shop for new baskets and plants in a week or two. It'll be a nice, cheap perk-up for our main living space. I'm also in the middle of a major linen closet purge. We really don't need towels and blankets that we took to college 20 years ago from our parents' houses, do we? I'm sure I can get nice (and again, cheap) replacements from Target that don't smell musty.
    There's always a lot to do with a home but I love when you can make a small change that has a big impact! Keep the decor posts coming because I can always use some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristen, I love those simple little touch-ups that make things new again. I have a feeling I'll be updating some of the older pieces I bought along the way. I absolutely detest my entertainment center in the living room. I want to paint it and apply some stencils to make it fresher. Just have to find the time and motivation. lol

      Delete
  12. Wow, I am totally inspired by your progress - and I love the idea of the January Cure! We have made some good progress on our house but sometimes I don't do the small things that can make a difference because I am too distracted by the huge projects that need to be completed. Greyson's room looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Courtney! It's easy to get distracted by the large projects. Or in my case, I end up putting off the more time-intensive stuff and living with those things in favor of the smaller/easier projects. Gonna have to suck it up and tackle painting and re-finishing soon. Ack!

      Delete
  13. The room looks amazing!! I am so proud of you! It really does look like an interior decorator got in there and did some serious work. I need to get this project started too. My house is very small, and while it's not messy, it is rather cluttered. I need to find some space saving containers and clean and organize my spaces a little bit better. Excellent job Andi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zibilee! It was a quick fix, so I'll be really happy to paint it and bring it all together. I have a lot of the things on the wall that I want, but a few more finishing touches should really make it sing!

      I spent my weekend doing some space saving and storage solutions for my kitchen. SO much better.

      Delete
  14. Awesome! You've made great strides, and Greyson's room is awesome. Love the idea of camel-colored walls -- I love that sort of hue! This is a great reminder to get organized myself... especially since I'll be moving soon!

    With a wedding on the horizon, I've been giving a lot of thought to what I'll want to move to my fiance's place and what I'll give away (no longer useful, no longer beautiful, no longer needed, etc.). I've been helping Spence clean up around his home since Christmas, and it does feel good to get organized! Especially since my guy occasionally needs that nudge, haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meg! It's a work in progress -- all of it! And yes, the camel color is one of my faves. It's so easy to change linens, curtains, and accessories and they still look great against it.

      And I've come to appreciate organization so much. I'm not naturally organized, so it's a process. lol

      Delete
  15. His room looks fantastic! Those dinosaur accents are so cute! I'll have to check out the kids' stuff at Target next time I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) The Target kid stuff is so cute. There's always one aisle of annoying "producty" stuff like Thomas the Train and superhero linens. I hate those. But the more generic, cute stuff is my fave.

      Delete
  16. There are times when I really miss having kids that age. It's an insane time but also the BEST. My youngest is almost 13..sigh. Let's just say that the teenage years aren't nearly as cute ;)

    I had the best intentions of following the Jan. cure myself. Whoops, not so much. But you've inspired me to at least save the emails and look at them later ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, it does change a lot. My stepkiddos are 16 and 15, so boy can I agree. lol

      I archived all of the e-mails for easy access and I'm going back through to see what I missed. Great stuff.

      Delete
  17. Lookin' good! I adore your Instagram posts & loved when your shares of Greyson's room.

    We're just past the 6-month mark in our new home, so I'm finally getting a feel too... I need to do some serious kitchen organizing- new pots & pans for Christmas and they are yet to be organized! Eek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenna!

      The kitchen is my greatest organizational need, too. I've done most of the pantry and counter tops, but now I need to tackle dish organization, glasses, medicine area, and pots/pans/bakeware. Whew! Sounds like a lot when I write it all out. lol

      Delete
  18. I love, love, love home decor posts and blogs! Greyson's room looks awesome and I can't wait to see more of your progress and start chronicling my own. I've been in my house three years and have barely gotten started.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I love this kind of stuff. And before and afters are always so fun to see. I love his room -- HUGE improvement.

    I go through this kind of thing about twice a year and end up redoing stuff in a big flurry of activity. The last flurry resulted in a complete rearrangement of the downstairs and changing dark paint colors to light. Then we got tired.

    Keep up the good work and I'll definitely be interested in reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have done such a great job on your home, Andi! Greyson's room is adorable and I'm impressed that you could decorate it for so little. Target rocks!

    We've been in our house for almost 13 years and it's in serious need of decluttering. I'm usually pretty good about keeping the clutter to a minimum, but now that I've been working full-time for a few years, it's more difficult to tackle large projects when my weekends are full of the usual chores and errands. I like the list from the January Cure and may have to implement some of the suggestions in the coming months. Definitely need to tackle the basement and get rid of the junk that's accumulating down there!

    Thanks for the inspiration! Keep the before and after posts coming!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!