Sunday, January 06, 2013

TSS - The Read-a-Thon Cometh

First, a short personal interlude. Feel free to skip on down...

I went to the doctor about three or four weeks ago for a hacking cough. At the time I didn't have too many symptoms other than the cough itself. I was a wee bit congested, and my doc went ahead and prescribe a "Z pack" of antibiotics. I felt better for about a week before a whole new set of cold symptoms set in. Now I have a full-blown sinus infection, a steroid shot under my belt, and ten days of antibiotics in my future. Woo.

I'm just ready to feel better. I've been since since I started my new job and I'm sure they're about ready for me not to look or act like a zombie.

So this interlude of illness has most certainly derailed any feel good reading. I have about 20 pages left in The Midwife of Hope River, and I can't wait to polish it off. A great book to start the year.

After that, I have to zip through Gone Girl. Heather and I were reading that one together, but a busy schedule and the whole feeling like death thing kind of got in the way and she finished last week.

Finally, we're getting the Estella Society geared back up and ready for the new year. PLEASE if you'd like to submit your writing, go on and do it! If you need ideas, check out these general ones to get your brain churning.


Oh, and do you remember that little Read-a-Thon Heather and I helped host in October??? Well we have a date for the April one! To be announced in the coming week (Thursday or Friday). You can also catch the announcement by following us on Facebook or Twitter.

We ended up with around 485 participants in October, and we're really hoping to trump those numbers in April. I think we can do it with ALLLLLL of your help!

What have you been reading? Anything I should add to my stacks? 




24 comments:

  1. This is the wonderful time of year that the dreaded crud hits and then holds on. I've started coughing and drainage, etc. too, and if memory serves right, I probably won't be completely well until Spring. Sucks.
    Hope your meds kick in soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it, Patti? It drives me crazy. I hope the crud doesn't stick with you as thoroughly as mine has stuck with me. :)

      Delete
  2. Ugh! I sure hope you're better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! Me too. This is a total drag.

      Delete
  3. Yay for the read-a-thon! Hopefully I will be around this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, Kelly! Fun stuff!

      Delete
  4. I only like being sick if I'm well enough to read through it -- if that makes sense. So yuck being sick sick and not being able to read through it sucks. I feel for you.
    Last best book: Sweet Tooth-- Ian MacEwan, Sweeeeeet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Barbara. That is SO true. How did you like Sweet Tooth? It's one I'm really excited to read. I love McEwan and the premise of this one has grabbed me.

      Delete
  5. Oh man! I hope you are feeling better soon! I went to the doctor for stuffiness (was seriously so bad I couldn't sleep) and the quack told me there wasn't much he could do except prescribe amox "just in case" :)

    Can't wait to pencil in readathon dates! I'll probably only be with y'all for a few hours here and there but hope for at least a little!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Trish! I hate it when they "just in case." Arrrgh! I hope you can join us -- every little bit counts and is FUN!

      Delete
  6. Sinus infections are the worst! I hope you feel better soon. I can't wait to find out more about this year's read-a-thon. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the worst, aren't they? Looking forward to unveiling more Read-a-thon details!

      Delete
  7. Argh - hope you get to feeling better soon. It sucks to try to keep up with everything when you're sick for such a long time. Looking forward to the readathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa! It definitely does make it much harder to stay on top of things and in good spirits. I got enough housework done last night that all I really have to worry about tonight is cooking dinner and getting the toddler bathed. I can doooo it!

      Delete
  8. Oh I hope you feel better really soon Andi!!!!! That's awful :( SO excited about the next readathon :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris! Can't wait to jump into Read-a-thon fun!

      Delete
  9. Wow … that is a long time to feel sick. I hope you get rid of it soon and start to feel like yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenners, it is a REALLY long miserable time to feel sick. So so so ready to feel better and more like myself. My work colleagues will not know what to do when I'm not acting like a zombie!

      Delete
  10. I can't wait for the next readathon, yay! Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Jennifer! I can't wait either!

      Delete
  11. So sorry you've been so sick, Andi! I had one that lasted about 3 weeks, but it never got very serious. Just felt crummy and run down. It's definitely making its rounds around the store (and Lincoln!). So far Rod's escaped the plague, in spite of working with a sick bunch, too.

    I can't wait for the next Read-a-Thon. I'm definitely in the right frame of mind for another! And Blackbird House (Hoffman) is going on the top of the stack. Finally! ;)

    Feel better soon!

    p.s. Just read Barbara's comment about the McEwan book. Yay! I love him and was wondering if this new one was any good. I haven't really heard anything one way or another. Adding it to my list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had the same trippy head cold/cough/sinus thing for the past week and I'm so sick of it. Boo. Hope you're feeling better soon.

    Crazy excited the the Dewey Read-a-thon is going to be announced too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yayyy for read-a-thons!!! I'm psyched.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you feel better now! The flu season is just hitting out here in California and I am crossing my fingers that it passes me by again this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!