Thursday, January 24, 2013

Winters Respite Readathon



Consider me a readathonner this week! Seasons of Reading is hosting the Winter's Respite Read-a-thon, and it's very flexible and inviting. Read as much or as little as you can, for as long as you can!

I made a push to finish Gone Girl this week, and you saw how that turned out. I wanted to keep the general reading mojo going, so I made a random grab of my shelves last night and ended up with Philip Roth's seminal novel (such a play on words), Portnoy's Complaint.

Now, if you're at all familiar with this book, you've already sniggered. It's about a Jewish man, Alexander Portnoy, reflecting on his life from the therapist's couch and dealing with his guilt. Guilt in many forms...ethnic guilt, parental guilt, guilt, guilt, guilt! Roth deals with guilt a lot, and he also writes a lot about penises.

I'm just saying.

So far this book is a lot of raucous good fun, even if all the fluids are certainly not for everyone. I've laughed aloud several times, and I don't do that so much when I read. 50 pages down, and I hope to knock off more tonight, tomorrow, and tomorrow night. Wish me luck and happy reading, readathonners!


4 comments:

  1. Go Andi Go! I've been making sure that I get at least one good day of reading during the weekend. I feel so much better when I do. Enjoy your readathon weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for readathons! Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm participating as well! I hope you manage to get some quality reading in this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all for a book that makes me laugh out loud. Maybe this one would be one I could read the funny parts to my hubby and he'd actually laugh, too?

    Good luck with the readathon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!