Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Books Hurled Themselves Into My Library Bag

I can't be held responsible...

The closest library to my house is the Greenville City Library. As such, if you live outside the city limits, it's $20/year to join the library. It's obviously worth it, as the library card pays for itself after one or two hardback checkouts. I went on Saturday and renewed my membership with the intention of picking up Karen Russell's new release, Vampires in the Lemon Grove. This is a short story collection, and since I enjoyed Swamplandia!, I figured I'd give it a go. I am absolutely in love with the title.

While I was there, I was reminded of why a small city library can be AWESOME. If there are new releases to be had, they're in far less demand. The bigger city I moved away from in 2011 usually had a humongous wait list on anything critically acclaimed or garnering any amount of buzz. Not so much with my little city library. I picked up Ian McEwan's Sweet Tooth. While I was there, I also saw Louise Erdrich's The Round House, Jamie Attenberg's The Middlesteins, and a bunch of others that have been popping up all over the blogosphere. I limited myself to the two literary fiction titles and the children's books below in an effort to actually READ these before they're due back in a couple of weeks.

Another reason I went to the library in the first place was to pick up Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House on the Prairie -- the next book in Lisa's Little House Readalong. I finished a re-read of Little House in the Big Woods this past week, and I'm excited to jump into the next book. I'm not sure I've ever actually read this one.

While I was looking for Little House, I ran across Brian Selznick's Wonder Struck. I really enjoyed The Invention of Hugo Cabret when I read it several years ago. I also think it's integral for me to have some quick, readable, make-so-progress books in my stacks to keep my mojo going. I think this one fits the bill perfectly. 

Finally, A Book of Sleep by Il Sung Na has an owl on the front! That's what got my attention, but it also looks like a fun book to read with Greyson. We'll try it out tonight and see how he likes it. :) 

What have you been reading this weekend? Any new library acquisitions or purchases? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik