Sunday, February 03, 2013

The Sunday Salon -- On Reading and Laziness and Whatnot

It's been a great weekend! How about yours?

I spent Friday evening being a sloth. I ate Italian food, drank some libations, and fell asleep early. Saturday was more productive with some general house cleaning: steam mopping, cleared up some lingering boxes from my move (7 months ago), made laundry detergent, and I finally, FINALLY brought my dog over! She's been staying with my mom since I moved in June because there are very large, loud dogs on either side of this house that had me a little concerned. The yard is fenced but it's chain link, and I wanted to see how sturdy and dependable it is. And I wanted to get Greyson and I settled in. I've done all of those, so it was time to get Ms. Daisy Miller here for a test run.


She looks right at home, wouldn't you say? 

So far, so good! She just finished a stand-off with the Boxer puppy next door. That was a sight to see!


So sprinkled in amidst all the stuff, I have been reading. I'm still plugging along at Caitlin Moran's How to Be a Woman. It's a funny book, but I still find some parts slow. I am supremely interested to finish and review it because it's been a while since I've read something of the Women's Studies and Feminist category and there's been some argument about where this book fits in (if it fits in), etc.


I'm also itching to re-read one of my all-time favorites: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver. The time is coming that I will attempt my first vegetable garden! My friend Susan will be helping me engineer what she promise are nearly-foolproof raised beds. I've also been researching best practices for gardening in northeast Texas. It's a very different proposition from what Kingsolver undertakes in her book, but I found it really inspiring the first time I read, so I hope it stands up to a re-read. 

Finally, I think I'll be ready for a short book soon. I've been scanning my shelves for shorties, and I think these will be in the running soon:


The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier - First encountered this one in grad school. I've wanted to read it forever, but it keeps getting pushed aside and then it was in storage. 

The Awakening by Kate Chopin - I've enjoyed Chopin's short stories, but this one always seems to get pushed aside, too. 

The Body Artist by Don DeLillo - Haven't read a thing by DeLillo. We'll see!

OH, and that wasn't finally. Forget that finally. I have this book in my future because it's my book group's next pick...

While I'm trying not to buy books, if I can't get my book club's choices from the library, I will be a'downloading. :) 

What are you doing/reading/thinking about reading today?




32 comments:

  1. Sloth. You hardly sound slothful. Downright productive. This is sloth: I am still in my nightgown and may well stay in it all day long. (I love days like this.) I did take the dog for a walk this morning, but I did so by tucking my nightgown into my loose jeans and putting on a big coat and going round the block. None of the neighbors would suspect I was still in my gown. Pretty sly.
    This winter I have discovered I am very fond of bathrobes. I have 3: one navy blue fleece, one white terry and one grey waffle material. I am considering more, a collection.
    Back to reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staying in the gown all day sounds WOOOONDERFUL, Barbara! And good for you for covering it up to walk the dog. lol Love it.

      Delete
  2. I'm in the middle of Philip K. Dick's paranoid future with Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said. It's pretty good. Four stars out of five.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any Philip K. Dick's stuff. Urrg! So many readerly holes in my knowledge.

      Delete
  3. Sloth days are good. We are having a sloth weekend! and I'm enjoying it except not getting a lot read. I have to read the Barbara Kingsolver book soon, I love her work so I'm surprised I haven't yet. *sigh* so many books to read!! that's why we need sloth days and weekends. Enjoy yours! I'm curious how you will like the Caitlin Moran, I've heard mostly good things so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good! Although, after I wrote this post I cleaned the bathrooms, steam-mopped the bathroom floors, went to grab an item I need for lunch/dinner, and started cooking for the week. I'm a sloth failure. Although, now I think I'm done and I'm hitting the books!

      Delete

  4. How do you make laundry detergent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I use this "recipe" from Pinterest. All of the ingredients are available on the laundry aisle at the grocery store. It makes about 7 pounds of detergent, and just to give you an idea, a sandwich bag full has lasted me more than a month. It only takes 1-2 tbs per load. Great money saver!

      http://beingcreativetokeepmysanity.blogspot.com/2010/11/homemade-laundry-soap.html?m=1

      Delete
  5. I thought Moran had some great things to say about being a woman...and I'd say she's a practical feminist. She's also hilarious to listen to. I promptly bought Moranthology (in print, to be my plane book this week) and ma really looking forward to her take on other things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point, Jill. I'd agree with you on the practical feminist thing. Definitely looking forward to Moranthology later on.

      Delete
  6. Ms. Daisy Miller? I love that name! I'm glad you finally were able to bring her "home" and that she's settling in so well. I'm sure you've missed having her around.

    I listened to The Awakening" on Librivox a few years ago and really liked it a lot. Last night I picked up "A Lost Lady" by Willa Cather; I'm wondering if that will be something in a similar vein.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I was trying to figure out something literary to name her. Couldn't decide, couldn't decide. Finally said "screw it, I'll name her Daisy," and VOILA! Combined with my last name, it IS LITERARY!!!

      Let me know how you like A Lost Lady. I love me some Cather.

      Delete
  7. Pretty puppy!! I really must read Animal Vegetable Miracle SOON.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! And I think you will really like The Awakening. I was surprised how accessible it was and how much I truly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I need something to keep my reading mojo going.

      Delete
  9. You made laundry detergent?

    I bet you and Daisy are very happy to be back together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! Found the recipe on Pinterest. It makes a ton and takes forever to use.

      And yes, we are. I was surprised at how excited Greyson was to find Daisy at our house. They had a blast running around the yard.

      Delete
  10. Truth is, you really don't sound slothful at all! Making your own laundry detergent sounds so frugal...I should do that. I went to the gym earlier today, then watched a couple of episodes of Walking Dead. I'll read a little Cormac McCarthy while the world is watching the Super Bowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, not too bad. Friday, definitely. Saturday and Sunday, not so much. I actually planned to be MORE slothful on Sunday than how it ended up.

      Which McCarthy are you reading?

      Delete
  11. Lots of new wonderful adventures for you! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie! Adventures indeed! :)

      Delete
  12. I was thinking about reading The Shining by Stephen King yesterday, but never got to it despite the best intentions. The Super Bowl actually was interesting; the commercials not so much. Maybe today, I'll get back to The Shining. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Shining is one of the King novels I enjoyed a lot. I didn't find it as drop dead scary as some of the others, but that's ok sometimes. lol

      Delete
  13. Yay for homemade cleaning supplies! I make my own detergent too. And hand-soap and fabric softener sheets, etc. etc. It makes me feel like a frugal pioneer!

    Can't wait to hear about how your garden goes. I can't keep a houseplant alive :/

    I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about the Moran. And I can't recommend The Chocolate War enough :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I need to figure out how to make dryer sheets effective at eradicating static. My static cling has been out of control lately.

      Delete
  14. Oh, it must feel so good to have your puppy baby back with you!!! :D

    I definitely have to get laundry detergent made in the next few days here--almost out, and it's just too easy to have the dirty laundry take over the entire basement when I put off making more. :p

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you have a pretty good balance of productivity and relaxing going on here and that is really what weekends are all about. :)

    I re-read The Awakening a while ago within a collection of Chopin's stories. I really admired The Awakening the first time I read it by itself. When I read it this time alongside some shorter stories that packed a bigger punch, it seemed to pale a bit. Which of her short stories have you read?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had trouble with that Kingsolver book - I love her other books but I'm not much for growing things. Good luck with your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's the Daisy pup! I HAVE MISSED HER! *hugs Daisy*

    I'll be rereading AVM soon too. The audio is marvelous and it always gets me in the mood for putting fingers in dirts. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I tried to start The Chocolate War but couldn't get into it. I'll definitely be trying again though, so many people loved it, I'm hoping it was bad timing.

    And I loved the Caitlin Moran book. Yes, some parts were slow, but I loved the feminist stuff, I could really see where she was coming from and what she was seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A house is not a home without a dog. So glad Ms. Daisy is back with you!!

    I can't believe I still haven't read Animal Vegetable Miracle. I love Kingsolver, but this is one I haven't gotten around to. Don't even own a copy to nudge me along. Must take care of that soon!

    It's been years since I read The Awakening (1996?), but perhaps I'll add it to my Dewey RAT stack. I really enjoyed it the first time around.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!