Sunday, February 03, 2013

The Sunday Salon -- On Reading and Laziness and Whatnot

It's been a great weekend! How about yours?

I spent Friday evening being a sloth. I ate Italian food, drank some libations, and fell asleep early. Saturday was more productive with some general house cleaning: steam mopping, cleared up some lingering boxes from my move (7 months ago), made laundry detergent, and I finally, FINALLY brought my dog over! She's been staying with my mom since I moved in June because there are very large, loud dogs on either side of this house that had me a little concerned. The yard is fenced but it's chain link, and I wanted to see how sturdy and dependable it is. And I wanted to get Greyson and I settled in. I've done all of those, so it was time to get Ms. Daisy Miller here for a test run.


She looks right at home, wouldn't you say? 

So far, so good! She just finished a stand-off with the Boxer puppy next door. That was a sight to see!


So sprinkled in amidst all the stuff, I have been reading. I'm still plugging along at Caitlin Moran's How to Be a Woman. It's a funny book, but I still find some parts slow. I am supremely interested to finish and review it because it's been a while since I've read something of the Women's Studies and Feminist category and there's been some argument about where this book fits in (if it fits in), etc.


I'm also itching to re-read one of my all-time favorites: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver. The time is coming that I will attempt my first vegetable garden! My friend Susan will be helping me engineer what she promise are nearly-foolproof raised beds. I've also been researching best practices for gardening in northeast Texas. It's a very different proposition from what Kingsolver undertakes in her book, but I found it really inspiring the first time I read, so I hope it stands up to a re-read. 

Finally, I think I'll be ready for a short book soon. I've been scanning my shelves for shorties, and I think these will be in the running soon:


The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier - First encountered this one in grad school. I've wanted to read it forever, but it keeps getting pushed aside and then it was in storage. 

The Awakening by Kate Chopin - I've enjoyed Chopin's short stories, but this one always seems to get pushed aside, too. 

The Body Artist by Don DeLillo - Haven't read a thing by DeLillo. We'll see!

OH, and that wasn't finally. Forget that finally. I have this book in my future because it's my book group's next pick...

While I'm trying not to buy books, if I can't get my book club's choices from the library, I will be a'downloading. :) 

What are you doing/reading/thinking about reading today?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik