Friday, April 26, 2013

Anticipationnnnn! Read-a-Thon Pre-Post!

Ohhhhh, my lovelies! I've added to my Read-a-Thon stack in a big way this week...

I have this silly tendency to forget that I work on a university campus with a UNIVERSITY LIBRARY. And since we have a strong English program and a strong Education program, there are lots of YA and middle reader books, graphic novels, and other Read-a-Thon-worthy picks in our library!!!

This picture is what happens when I remember.

I mentioned the shorties on top earlier in the week because they come from my home piles. Yesterday I picked up the following from the uni.

  • Paper Towns by John Green (because I've NEVER READ JOHN GREEN!)
  • Fun Home by Alison Bechdel
  • Shortcomings by Adrian Tomine
  • Steampunk! a collection edited by Kelly Link
  • Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick
So I do have a strategy for this Read-a-Thon. With one previous hosting experience under my belt back in October, I know this about myself:
  • I get really excited and wake up far too early
  • I get all amped up on energy and do administrative things early in the day while Heather is hosting
  • I hit a wall early afternoon and need to read/relax/step back
  • I NEED to take a nap mid to late afternoon
  • I get back into the fray in a big way in the evening -- my co-hosting shift goes on at 10 or 11pm
My reading strategy this year is to start with books I have sitting around half-finished. This includes The Obituary Writer (about 100 pages left), The Little Princess (about 100 pages left), and as of last night Paris: A Love Story (200 pages maybe?). And I will inevitably read some graphic novels because my eyes will hurt. A lot. At some point. 

How are you tackling this season's Read-a-Thon? 


  1. Good plan! I usually need a break around dinner, so this year I plan to go to an arts event for a potluck and get out of the house. I also know I like to read easy/fast books late at night, so I'm saving a couple YA selections for then.

    I want to start the morning with a review book I am on a tour for Monday and catch up with Telegraph Avenue for my readalong with Florinda. After that, we'll see what happens!

  2. It looks like you're ready! I got a card to Auburn University's library when we lived there but it wasn't very good - mostly academic books.

  3. I love your stack! John Green is such a fantastic writer. Fun Home and Wonderstruck are two good reads. You're going to be entertained. :-) My start time is 5 am so I plan on starting at that time! I plan on having my coffee pot set to start then and take a nap in the early afternoon since I'm going on a date tomorrow night! Reading wise: my pile will be a combination of graphic novels, library books, and ARCs.

  4. Great plan, great stack of books! I read The Chocolate War for the Oct. read-a-thon :)

    I *think* my start time is 6AM. Hmm, I'd better look into that!

    See you around tomorrow!!

  5. You are so smart to have all of those shorter reads. I picked one shortie to start with but some of my other picks are kind of lengthy. We will see what happens!

    Thanks in advance for all of your readathon awesomeness. :)

  6. Have fun! I'll be cheering everyone on, unofficially, on the sidelines!

  7. Nice stack of books. I recently finished the Steampunk collection -- a terrific variety of stories! Good luck with the read-a-thon tomorrow.

  8. Paper Towns and Fun Home!!!! Must reads :D Can't wait to read with you tomorrow Andi :D

  9. I've got Paper Towns in my pile, too. Because I've never read any Green either. I'm hoping I finally have a workable plan but I still have no illusions that I'll last 24 hours. You?

  10. you're really a excellent webmaster. The website loading speed is incredible. It seems that you're doing any distinctive trick.
    Furthermore, The contents are masterpiece. you've performed a great job on this topic!

    my webpage

  11. I haven't read Paper Towns, but I have it on my kindle. Maybe I'll read it today, who knows? We Have Always Lived in the Castle is perfect for a read-a-thon. I read it last October in one sitting just because I didn't want to put it down. I hope you enjoy it.

    My start time is 1 om so it's likely that it will be more like a 12 hour read-a-thon for me, but hey, 12 hours of reading is better than none.

  12. When I was in college I was always forgetting about the university library and its big collection of readable fiction books. It's such a lovely thing to have access to! Happy readathoning!

  13. YAY for libraries! have fun reading!

  14. Did you end up reading the Steampunk anthology? Evan and I really enjoyed it.


Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik