Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Once Upon a Time VII


I wasn't sure I'd participate in Once Upon a Time VII this time since my job has been such a nightmare, but alas I cannot NOT participate!
Thursday, March 21st begins the seventh annual Once Upon a Time Challenge. This is a reading and viewing event that encompasses four broad categories: Fairy Tale, Folklore, Fantasy and Mythology, including the seemingly countless sub-genres and blending of genres that fall within this spectrum. The challenge continues through Friday, June 21st and allows for very minor (1 book only) participation as well as more immersion depending on your reading/viewing whims.

I'm jumping in on The Journey. That is, I commit to participate, but I'm not sure how many books or which category they'll fall into.

Here's a sampling of the books at my disposal, that fit into the categories (Fairy Tale, Fantasy, Folklore, Mythology), snatched from my Goodreads database.

  • The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
  • The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman
  • Corsets & Clockwork, collection
  • Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
  • Burning Your Boats: The Short Fiction of Angela Carter
  • The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen
  • Cinder by Marissa Meyer
  • The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
  • Birds of a Lesser Paradise by Megan Mayhew Bergman
And this is where I stopped looking. There are plenty more! 

Are you getting in on the action this year? What book(s) are you most anticipating?



11 comments:

  1. Great list - I'm looking forward to reading Cinder and The Snow Child too! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they're as good as we've heard. :)

      Delete
  2. Cinder was excellent, and my husband just finished the sequel, Scarlet, the other day. he loved it as well. I loved The Snow Child. It was such a touching story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to find my copy. It got misplaced in the shuffle of moving. Ruh-roh! And I can't wait to read The Snow Child.

      Delete
  3. This is not my favorite genre, but like you, how can one not participate? It's too much fun to share the experience. I loved The Snow Child when I read it two winters ago. It showed me a lot about love (and the way I tend to...hover? suffocate? the ones I love). I'm learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellezza, it might be a really good choice for me too, then.

      Delete
  4. I had to laugh when I saw The Amber Spyglass on your list...are you one of those people who started the series and never got around to finishing it? I'm one of those people. Which is so silly, because I loved the first two books with all my heart and soul! I'm actually thinking about rereading the first two and *finally* reading the last in December. (Because The Golden Compass is just such a "winter" book to me.) Anyway, I so hope you enjoy the heck out of OUaT, because you're right--how could you NOT join?!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh Burning Your Boats looks interesting, I'm adding that to my list of books to look for at the library. The Amber Spyglass is good, I read the series years ago. Corsets and Clockwork is catching my eye, too. Have fun with the challenge, Andi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been seeing a lot of The Song of Achilles around the blogosphere lately. I'm going to have to locate a copy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik