Thursday, April 18, 2013

Praying for West

My heart is heavy today, like so many others in communities around Texas.

While I do not have friends or family members who currently live in West, it's a well-known place to so many Texans who travel back and forth between Central and North Texas.

When I went to Baylor I passed through West regularly, and it's known for its amazing Czech food (kolaches!), welcoming community and its yearly Westfest.

David still lives in Central Texas and passes through West far more than I do these days. His friends and co-workers have family there, his company does business there, but thankfully everyone linked to him and his friends is accounted for.

But this explosion in West will have far-reaching effects on so many people in so many communities across Texas. Already I see my friends and loved ones asking for opportunities to help -- to send money, to donate blood, to go down and help clean up and repair and rebuild.

It is horrible what happened there, and I cannot imagine losing so much -- loved ones, friends, family, homes -- in a split second. But I do know that the people of West, the people of Central Texas, and so many of us so much further away will do all we can to help this community press on and endure after such a horrible event.


10 comments:

  1. I feel horribly about this too, and am going to donate, just need to find out where. I have a friend who just moved back to Orlando from Texas, and I am so glad that she is home. I am glad that you and all yours are accounted for as well. Thanks for posting this today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for chiming in, Zibilee. They are pretty well overwhelmed with donations of actual goods, so I'll be jumping in and sending some cash their way with this link:
      http://www.pointwestbank.com/default.aspx?v=27b33d93-0d3c-4009-8790-1cb7c23972c7

      Delete
  2. Such a tragedy :( They seem to keep coming on one another's heels. I'm thinking about everyone in the area and hoping for healing for all of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Jennifer. It's been a hell of a week for bad news.

      Delete
  3. Sad. I am Boston born and grew up in a suburb of that city, but have no connections to Texas -- so you will be my connection -- someone who knows what it looks like, feels like. Important to know there's just a few degrees of separation.
    Scary times.
    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very important to recognize those few degrees of separation. We're all so much closer than we realize. :)

      Delete
  4. A beautiful post Andi. Since I was an I-45 gal in college I haven't driven through West as much as my sister who went to UT did but whenever we did we always stopped at the Czech Stop for a little break and some good grub. This just breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Trish. David stops there regularly to grab treats for us on his way up from Temple. I'm feeling so much sadness for this community. It's about the size of Caddo Mills, too, so it adds another level of the surreal to it for me. I cannot imagine.

      Delete
  5. I can't decide if it's a shame that the media has so largely ignored this because of Boston or a good thing. The people of West and those who can truly help can focus on what needs to be done now and begin healing without the glare of the media spotlight and reporters milling around trying to find a new story. Thoughts and prayers to all in West.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a horrible, horrible tragedy. The people in the community are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik