Monday, April 29, 2013

Reading Mojo is BACK!

The Read-a-Thon always has a delightful effect on me. In a number of ways. But namely, if I'm in a slump, it tends to refocus me and rejuvenate my reading mojo! Such is the case this year as in years past. 

I took yesterday off to recuperate and start this semester's ending Grade-a-Thon (so necessary). But now I'm back, I want to wrap up a few loose ends and tell you about some other coolio stuff on the horizon. 

1. Which hour was most daunting for you? Probably Hour 16...right before my co-hosting shift. Co-hosting gave me my second wind!

2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? Graphic novels, graphic novels, graphic novels. And did I mention graphic novels? Last year I read Anya's Ghost, which I loved, and this year I polished off Fun Home by Alison Bechdel. They could not be more different, but I found them both effective and awesome in their own ways.


3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? My perspective might be a little different than most as I'm in the fray of the planning, implementation, and administrative part. I can tell you that Heather and I want MORE HELP! Specifically, we'd like a couple more Cheerleader Helpers on that committee next year, and we're also working on a database to improve the Prizes recordkeeping (that's for me). 

4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? On our end, it was even better than the October 2012 Read-a-Thon. Very few hitches. Great co-hosts, great prize help (Vasilly!), great cheerleaders, mini-challenge hosts, and super-awesome co-hosts. We had nearly 500 readers and we logged almost 600 books completed in our database!!! Crazy!


5. How many books did you read? I just finished two. But given that my reading mojo is back, I hope the Read-a-Thon will have far-reaching effects for me. 

6. What were the names of the books you read? I mentioned Fun Home above. I also finished my book-in-progress, The Obituary Writer by Ann Hood. I also started Relish by Lucy Knisley, but I didn't get far before I fell asleep in the last three hours.


7. Which book did you enjoy most? As much as I enjoyed Fun Home, I think I preferred The Obituary Writer from this pair!


8. Which did you enjoy least? NA


9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? We need more of you. Srsly. The cheerleaders this year were AMAZING. They did a great job with the vast number of readers we had. I cannot give those folks enough pats on the back. And a special tip of my hat to Heather for being our Head Cheerleader!


10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? I'm totally in it for the long haul. We're already talking about October. :) 

Now for some other nifty stuff coming up!


#Estellagram, hosted over at The Estella Society is still going strong! We're on our third month now, and we hope you'll join us! 

Trish from Love, Laughter, and a Touch of Insanity is hosting a May Pin It and Do It Challenge! I'm all in!

What are you up to in the wake of this Read-a-Thon? 






22 comments:

  1. Graphic novels indeed! I read two this time around :) Thanks so much for hosting my very favorite event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they awesome??? Perfect Read-a-Thon fodder.

      Delete
  2. I will be a cheerleader next time! I had no idea that you were understaffed for that position! I had fun and read The Death of Bees, and some of Relish. I also finished Amity and Sorrow. It was a good day of reading, and I enjoyed it. You know I am totally up for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! We're always understaffed in this area. There are never enough cheerleaders to go around to the nearly 500 readers! Crazy, crazy.

      I'm glad you had fun with your books. I finished Relish last night and really enjoyed it!

      Delete
  3. I was so jealous reading everyone's posts and tweets this weekend. I'm glad things went smoothly. Like Heather, I'm definitely down for the October event and want to be a cheerleader as well. Can't wait to take a more active role! And yes, graphic novels and readathon necessities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY, Brooke! I'm glad you're planning to join us in October, and we'd love it if you could cheer!

      Delete
  4. After all the work you put into the readathon, finishing two books is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! I think I finished more last year, but I definitely took it easier on myself pressure-wise this year. It was a really fun, relaxed day.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on a successful event AND getting your reading mojo back! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all your hard work! This event is just so much FUN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sherry Ann!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for working so hard to make the readathon SO SUPER AWESOME!!! And I'm glad it helped you get your reading mojo back too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sarah! And yes, I'm very glad to have my mojo back. I missed it!

      Delete
  8. I'm definitely cheerleading again next time around. Sometimes it's more fun than reading! I feel so much better after the read-a-thon. I love that I was able to read a whole book in one day. I need to do that more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad, Vasilly! Cheerleaders are one of our biggest needs. And yes, it can be more fun than reading. Especially on Twitter! And I'm so glad the Read-a-Thon refreshed you. I know how you feel!

      Delete
  9. I am glad you had such fun with the read-a-thon, Andi! From the tweets on Twitter I caught this weekend, many others did too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we did! The amount of Tweets was really amazing!

      Delete
  10. Oh golly yes - more cheerleaders! I only got through my list once and it took 5 hours! I'm forever forgetting to volunteer to help when it's time to get in on the planning and putting together - make a little note somewhere in all of your stuff to hit me upside the head in October to help early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Lisa! We'll start advertising early. lol

      Delete
  11. Yay! The Readthon usually zaps my mojo, but since I went in riding the wave of a slump, I think it brought mine back too.

    Congratulaions on a job well done, my friend. We did it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad to hear it, Heatheroo. *pat on the back*

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik