Monday, April 29, 2013

Reading Mojo is BACK!

The Read-a-Thon always has a delightful effect on me. In a number of ways. But namely, if I'm in a slump, it tends to refocus me and rejuvenate my reading mojo! Such is the case this year as in years past. 

I took yesterday off to recuperate and start this semester's ending Grade-a-Thon (so necessary). But now I'm back, I want to wrap up a few loose ends and tell you about some other coolio stuff on the horizon. 

1. Which hour was most daunting for you? Probably Hour 16...right before my co-hosting shift. Co-hosting gave me my second wind!

2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? Graphic novels, graphic novels, graphic novels. And did I mention graphic novels? Last year I read Anya's Ghost, which I loved, and this year I polished off Fun Home by Alison Bechdel. They could not be more different, but I found them both effective and awesome in their own ways.

3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? My perspective might be a little different than most as I'm in the fray of the planning, implementation, and administrative part. I can tell you that Heather and I want MORE HELP! Specifically, we'd like a couple more Cheerleader Helpers on that committee next year, and we're also working on a database to improve the Prizes recordkeeping (that's for me). 

4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? On our end, it was even better than the October 2012 Read-a-Thon. Very few hitches. Great co-hosts, great prize help (Vasilly!), great cheerleaders, mini-challenge hosts, and super-awesome co-hosts. We had nearly 500 readers and we logged almost 600 books completed in our database!!! Crazy!

5. How many books did you read? I just finished two. But given that my reading mojo is back, I hope the Read-a-Thon will have far-reaching effects for me. 

6. What were the names of the books you read? I mentioned Fun Home above. I also finished my book-in-progress, The Obituary Writer by Ann Hood. I also started Relish by Lucy Knisley, but I didn't get far before I fell asleep in the last three hours.

7. Which book did you enjoy most? As much as I enjoyed Fun Home, I think I preferred The Obituary Writer from this pair!

8. Which did you enjoy least? NA

9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? We need more of you. Srsly. The cheerleaders this year were AMAZING. They did a great job with the vast number of readers we had. I cannot give those folks enough pats on the back. And a special tip of my hat to Heather for being our Head Cheerleader!

10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? I'm totally in it for the long haul. We're already talking about October. :) 

Now for some other nifty stuff coming up!

#Estellagram, hosted over at The Estella Society is still going strong! We're on our third month now, and we hope you'll join us! 

Trish from Love, Laughter, and a Touch of Insanity is hosting a May Pin It and Do It Challenge! I'm all in!

What are you up to in the wake of this Read-a-Thon? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik