Monday, May 20, 2013

A Schizophrenic Weekend Recap, and Currently Reading!

Good morning, friends! This weekend was super fun and pretty laid back all around. Recap? Well, sure!

Greyson spent three and a half days with his dad since his daycare was being renovated on Thursday and Friday of last week. He had a great time hanging out with his older siblings, and he got a swanky new haircut.

Handsome, eh?

I spent Wednesday night and Thursday reading The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness. And WOW. The very enthusiastic review will be coming down the pike tomorrow.

Friday night, while David was driving up from central Texas, I waged war on the house: laundry, dog hair, cleaned bathrooms, put toys away.

Saturday we went to see the movie, Olympus Has Fallen, which I actually really enjoyed. It was non-stop action and shoot-em-up bloodiness, but Gerard Butler is always sassy and fun to watch.

I tried to fend off a sinus headache Friday and into Sunday morning, so I wasn't good for much besides lazing around. After it passed on Sunday morning, we tackled some yard work: weed-eated my overgrown front flower beds, planted some Purple Queen, and filled the bird bath with flowers and new plantings around the base (Moss Rose).

Purple Queen
Moss Rose
While I haven't followed through on my raised garden beds I was so hoping for this year, I do have a planter full of banana peppers in my back yard. They are coming along nicely!

And back to books (this is the jumpy, schizophrenic part I referenced in the title...ahem!)...after I ripped through The Knife of Never Letting Go last week, I haven't had much mojo to start another book. Until I snatched Kindred by Octavia Butler from the library yesterday.
I'm reading this one for the Estella Project. If you haven't heard about it, this is mine and Heather's latest Estella Society project. Readers submitted their BEST OF THE BEST books. The goal is to read three from the list before September 1st.


  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
  • The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman
  • Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini
  • The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls
  • Wicked by Gregory Maguire
  • A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
  • Kindred by Octavia Butler
  • The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell
  • Bad Science by Ben Goldacre
  • A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving

I already own The Glass Castle, A Fine Balance, The Sparrow. However, I'm also really excited to finally have a push to read more of Octavia Butler's work. I picked Kindred up at the library yesterday, so it'll be my first undertaking from the list. Beyond that, The Glass Castle and The Sparrow are my intended reads. I'm not feeling the pull toward A Fine Balance as much. 

What did you do this weekend? What are you reading this week? 

Hosted by Sheila of BookJourney!






30 comments:

  1. You planted some Purple Queen? No, you planted a ton of it! I had to show my mom how much you did! We have some too but it's not as dark since it's out in the sun all day.Your plants look great.

    Isn't The Knife of Never Letting Go amazing!? What a book. I can't wait for the summer reading to start the Estella Project.There's some great-looking books on that list.

    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, nooo no no! I should've put in a disclaimer. That's not my yard -- just a pic for example purposes. I planted a whopping two containers of it, but the way it spreads, it won't take any time for it to overtake my little flower bed.

      It IS amazing!!! I was totally taken aback. I've put it off for so long! I hope you enjoy the Estella Project books you choose!

      Have a good week too, my friend!

      Delete
  2. Kindred is the only book who has a character in it that gave me nightmares. I've never been scared while reading a book like I was with Kindred. It might just be me though. Crazy subject to get into. Dark. It would be nice to know what someone else thinks of it.

    I've read most of Wicked. It takes forever to read so I gave up but it's still super interesting. I just didn't have the time. The Book Thief of course is pure genius. Have fun with the Estella Project (:

    So many flowers... I could never keep them alive. They are beautiful though.

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, Adriana! That does sound scary. Now I wonder what I have in store for me! The only other thing I've read of Butler's was a short story that was REALLY disturbing.

      I loooooved Wicked. I expected a fluffy retelling, and I was shocked at the political nature of it. I was really impressed -- though it does take quite a while to read.

      We'll see how long I can keep them alive in wicked Texas heat. Ack!

      Delete
  3. The moss rose are pretty! I'm a horrible gardener (read: not.at.all) but I've been thinking about planting a few flowers because the kiddo would love tending to them. I'm going to see if those would work in our yard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monika! They are really easy to care for. They spread out quite a bit, like a groundcover, and are very hardy.

      Delete
  4. Can't wait for your review of the Ness book -- your updates on GoodReads had me very intrigued!

    Kindred is a book I need to read -- I loved Parable of the Sower (adored, mind blown!) but wasn't wild about the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audra, it was hell to write! I was just so blown away by the book.

      I haven't read Parable of the Sower, but since it's her most widely recognized, I'm sure I'll get into it sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  5. Purple Queen! That's what I want to plant but couldn't remember the name of. We're overhauling our yard this next week. We're removing two huge hideous shrub bush things from the front and I want to replace them with Purple Queen since our brick is shaded slightly purple.

    Also, I'm glad you liked Olympus Has Fallen because Jimmy wants to see it so badly but I've been all...meh. So perhaps I'll grant him his wish this weekend!

    Have a great week, Andi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be gorgeous, Brooke! Purple Queen is just so pretty and robust.

      Olympus Has Fallen is definitely not my usual kind of movie, but I'm glad we saw it. It was an adventure, for sure!

      Delete
  6. How did Greyson get to be a little boy? He's supposed to be a baby still. My sister loved The Knife of Never Letting Go too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I don't know, but it's going way too fast! :) And I'm glad your sister liked Knife. It's really a great book.

      Delete
  7. I love that purple queen! Sounds like a wonderful weekend all around:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it pretty? And it's hardy and easy!

      Delete
  8. I just read Kindred a few months ago and it was so interesting! Not at all what I expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, what were you expecting of it? I'm not far in, only 10 pages or so, so I'm looking forward to wherever it takes me! :)

      Delete
  9. Glad you had a nice weekend. I liked but didn't love Knife of Never Letting Go, but I enjoyed the next two much more. I'm assuming your continuing the series, but you have some good books to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristi! It was a lovely weekend. I'm also glad you liked the next two more. I think it'll be nice to read novels where they're not consistently running.

      Delete
  10. The Sparrow was SO GOOD. Mind-melty good. You'll love that one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The flowers are pretty. I will continue reading The Host by Stephenie Meyer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rose! How are you liking The Host? I tried it when it first came out, and it didn't click for me.

      Delete
  12. You got a lot accomplished for a woman battling a migraine for much of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! Press on, yo.

      Delete
  13. Kindred blew my mind! I picked up and read The Spirit Catches you immediately afterwards and that one was awesome too.

    Greyson is too cute for words! I'm loving his kicky new 'do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're on a roll, Jennifer! I can't wait to get back to Kindred. I have to stop forgetting to bring it to work! Ack!

      And thank you. He's pretty keen on the new hairdo.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful flowers! Moss Rose is one of my favorite annuals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diana! I'm fond of them too. My grandmother always had a flower bed full of moss rose.

      Delete
  15. So much going on!! Good luck with Wicked (weirdddd) and enjoy A Prayer for Owen Meany (awesome).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I loooooved Wicked. I take it you didn't? :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik