Monday, May 06, 2013

And Then I Bought ALL the Books!

Whoa. I haven't bought books regularly in years. Because, truthfully, I have too many already. But the dam broke over the last two weeks and I've been purchasing quite a bit. Let's see if I can even remember them all.


I cannot wait to get my grubby paws on this cookbook, Food: Vegetarian Home Cooking by Mary McCartney. YES, that McCartney. This one is all Nancy's fault because she raved about it over at Bookfoolery. And I'm sure she'll be tickled to take this blame because her family loves this book. It hasn't actually arrived on my doorstep yet, but I'm hoping, hoping, hoping that I get it today. I made the decision to work FAR more vegetarian food into our life after I read about this gross, stupid, deplorable announcement.




I've also given quite a bit of love to e-books lately. I downloaded Lucy Knisley's new graphic memoir, Relish: My Life in the Kitchen, and it was the cutest thing since crostini. Review coming later this week.

I also picked up Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline for my next book club meeting. It's not one I would pick up on my own, and I seem to have REALLY good luck with books I know next to nothing about, so I'm excited.

Finally, I downloaded How to Eat a Cupcake by Meg Donahue and The Fool's Tale by Nicole Galland. Both of these were recently on sale in digital format. Meg's review of Cupcake prompted me to purchase it. And The Fool's Tale just looked good!


I also have a very sad story. My very favorite independent bookstore, A Real Bookstore in Fairview, TX has closed its doors for good. I've already lamented this on Facebook, but this store was something super special. It was huge, full of life, full of great service and recommendations, a kickass cafe, and just wonderful, superb people. And the best little book club in town (Girls Night Out!!!).

The manager, and one of my dear friends, let us know at our final book club meeting in the store. We also got a 90% discount on the remaining stock. My heart wasn't even in it, y'all. It was so so so sad. I went ahead and looked through the shelves and brought home some books that I really wanted, and I'll be inscribing them with A Real Bookstore's name to help me remember where they came from on down the road (though I don't think I'll have any trouble remembering).

The up-side is that our book club has decided to carry on and meet in a new location.

Here's what I took away from the store that fateful night...

I picked up three of the Babylit books. Greyson is probably too old for these board books (counting, colors, etc.), but the illustrations are gorgeous, and I think he'll really be attracted to the look of them. Alice in Wonderland, Dracula, and A Christmas Carol. This is another credit to Meg! I had no idea about these books until she mentioned building a secret library of them. ;) 





I discovered my love of A.S. Byatt a couple of years ago when I read Little Black Book of Short Stories. I was immediately swept away by the just-right length of the longer short stories. Angels and Insects is made up of two novellas. I can't wait to inhale more of Byatt's work.

I am ashamed to admit, I've never read any of Shirley Jackson's work except "The Lottery" in school! It's just about time I get on with We Have Always Lived in the Castle.

Finally, I've seen reviews of it crop up everywhere, so I grabbed Sadie Jones's The Uninvited Guests.

And I could've sworn there were more, but I can't, for the life of me, remember at this moment what they were. There's a super cute picture book for Greyson, and I think one or two more for me.

These beauties should feed my reading for a bit. And I'm happy to report that I need to review a whopping four books that have yet to appear here on the blog! I rarely have that problem, but it's a good problem to have. It means I'm reading!!!


Which books have come into your house lately? 







29 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about A Real Bookstore! When you and Trish would talk about it on Twitter, it sounded like such a wonderful place to hang out. I felt similarly when I went to a Borders during their going out of business sale. I found a few books, but my heart just wasn't in picking over the remainders... it was sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was super awesome, Kim. And yes, I had that feeling when our local Borders went under, too. So sad to see one close.

      Delete
  2. Food came into my house last week too but via the library. It's a great cookbook. I've already marked a few of the recipes to try. It's always sad when a really good bookstore closes. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, Vasilly! I'll be interested to see what you think of it. It looks like such a beautiful book. And I need more veggie recipes.

      Delete
  3. I wish I could tag Lisa on this comment so she could be sure to see this: "I seem to have REALLY good luck with books I know next to nothing about, so I'm excited." :) Also, I'm wondering how you feel about Life After Life because I feel like if our club is going to insist on reading brand spanking new books then we should read that one. Just saying.

    And cries over the bookstore. I did pick up some fun things but I mostly just felt the nagging sense of guilt over the fact that they were going to be closing in two (or actually one) day. They've resurrected once and I'm just crossing my fingers that maybe she'll open in some other shape or fashion one day again. I am so so happy that our book club will continue to meet as it's something I really look forward to every month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I'll make sure she hears it, Trish. You are onto something. I enjoy the books I know less about so much more than some of the ones I know LOTS about. And yes, I definitely agree re: Life After Life. We got railroaded into Orphan Train. No pun intended. Really.

      And I know what you mean about the guilt. Like pilfering from the corpse or a relative. Ugh. But I will cherish the books and the memories. She told me in an e-mail or Facebook message that she plans to move to Houston and open a SUPER SMALL shop there someday. :(

      Delete
  4. I love those Babylit books!!! They are just so awesome! I've seen them before at boutiques.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are gorgeous aren't they??? I can't get enough now that I have three on the shelves. :D

      Delete
  5. Oh, I'm so sad that you're losing your indie! I wish more people would support local businesses - they have so much more personality than big box stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, me too! I was so shocked and disappointed. It was such a lovely, lovely store.

      Delete
  6. Great books! That is so sad about the bookstore :( I've read but need to review 3 of Shirley Jackson's books. Must do it! I'm checking out those BabyLit books. I love the illustrations!!! I think you'll like The Uninvited Guests. You'll have to let us know how you like Smudge - one of my favorite literary characters ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it sad? I was so disappointed.

      And wow! Which Shirley Jackson book was your fave?

      I hope I like the Uninvited Guests. Definitely looking forward to Smudge!

      Delete
  7. Mmm, that vegetarian cookbook looks awesome. I try not to buy cookbooks new, since they can be pretty expensive, but maybe I should make an exception...

    Also, I really need to get Relish -- I went to school with Lucy Knisley (she was several years above me, though) and she's pretty awesome. I loved her short memoir about living in Paris, French Milk -- have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rayna, I'm usually not one for buying new cookbooks either. I did have a 15% off coupon so that gave me some incentive. Plus, I think we'll use it A LOT.

      That's so cool that you know Lucy Knisley! She's so nice. I loved French Milk and interviewed her a couple of years ago. She illustrated her answers which was a lot of fun. Here's the link if you're interested: http://estellasrevenge.blogspot.com/2010/07/outspoken-interview-lucy-knisley-author.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing the link, Andi! That was such a great interview -- so glad I've read it, even if it was a few years late :)

      Delete
  8. If you're going to buy books you might as well buy them all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. *jealous* Those books look awesome. The only one I've read is Relish and, as you know, I thought it rocked. I look forward to your reviews and you totally sending me these books once you finish them. ;) No, seriously. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I fear that the demise of A Real Bookstore is a sad remark on the state of all bookstores - from what you and Trish said about it, it seemed they were doing everything right and still they couldn't make it. So sad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy books Batman ;) Great stacks! Those babylit books must be the cutest things ever.

    I'm so sorry about your bookstore, that stinks :(

    I hope you're able to make some yummy new recipes and I hope you'll share them too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember that bookstore! I now live in McKinney, TX. The bookstore was beautiful and cafe great. But I also know why it failed. Independent bookstores cannot compete with on-line giants. I only went there once because I couldn't afford any books. Maybe the function of independent bookstores need to change. It is sad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww, yay! So glad to see the BabyLit books pop up here -- they really are so much fun. And I really enjoyed How To Eat A Cupcake (answer: as quickly as possible?). I hear Donohue has a new book out . . . must investigate!

    I haven't purchased any books in a long time, either, mostly because I have WAY more than I can even house. But I've been in a book-buying mood lately myself . . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. We lost our last indie about 10 years ago. I miss it so much. I had just discovered it, as it was near my work then, and I was crushed when it closed. Now all we have is a B&N, a used book store, and a university book store. It's so sad that this large city doesn't have an indies.

    Let me know when you want to read The Keep!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Look at you guys meeting in a new locale, though! Lucky girl. I had gone to an amazing author event in Plano at Legacy Books in 2010 -- and boom, they shut down. Two FLOORS of amazing bookishness. Gone. Rockwall/Hunt County needs a serious damn good bookish store for events and such. We have Half Price Books, yes, but I'd like a COMMUNITY style bookstore. I'm meeting an online friend on Friday and I am hoping we can get something going bookclub wise!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, I am perfectly happy to take the blame for FOOD. I just made husband whip up a batch of the egg salad, last night. I don't just love that book, I'm IN LOVE with it. Sucks that I'll have to buy another copy because husband has beaten, stained and soaked it, already, but I'll keep my good copy on the pretty-books shelf and husband will not be allowed to touch it. Ha!

    So, so sad about your beloved bookstore. What happened? It was so sudden! I'm glad your book group is going to continue to meet.

    More book comments - I liked but didn't love We Have Always Lived in the Castle. I think you'll enjoy it. It's nice and creepy. "Lottery" is in the book of short stories by the same name. It is really a fascinating collection. I recommend it if you're ever looking for some thought-provoking short stories with serious themes. I also didn't love The Uninvited Guests, but I did love Sadie Jones' writing and couldn't bear to part with my copy. I'm thinking it might require a reread, actually. It'll be fun to see what you think of it.

    Enjoy your books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is so sad about your local bookstore. There aren't too many indies near me anymore. If I drive a bit north to San Francisco there are tons but that is easier said, than done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm trying to make the flow of books allllll out of the house right now. I am reading everything and getting rid of everything and that is how I will get extra bookshelf space in order to buy thousands more books. Your acquisitions look amazing though!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was so sorry to hear about The Real Bookstore. It was such a great space, all brand new and in that nice shopping center.

    Sigh. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's always so sad to see a bookstore close. This one sounds like the perfect indie bookstore. I'm glad that at least the book club will continue on.

    And, that book you got "How to Eat a Cupcake" must go on my list. Haven't heard of it but with that title alone it's enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sorry to hear about the bookstore, but I do hope you enjoy all of your new books!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik