Monday, May 06, 2013

And Then I Bought ALL the Books!

Whoa. I haven't bought books regularly in years. Because, truthfully, I have too many already. But the dam broke over the last two weeks and I've been purchasing quite a bit. Let's see if I can even remember them all.


I cannot wait to get my grubby paws on this cookbook, Food: Vegetarian Home Cooking by Mary McCartney. YES, that McCartney. This one is all Nancy's fault because she raved about it over at Bookfoolery. And I'm sure she'll be tickled to take this blame because her family loves this book. It hasn't actually arrived on my doorstep yet, but I'm hoping, hoping, hoping that I get it today. I made the decision to work FAR more vegetarian food into our life after I read about this gross, stupid, deplorable announcement.




I've also given quite a bit of love to e-books lately. I downloaded Lucy Knisley's new graphic memoir, Relish: My Life in the Kitchen, and it was the cutest thing since crostini. Review coming later this week.

I also picked up Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline for my next book club meeting. It's not one I would pick up on my own, and I seem to have REALLY good luck with books I know next to nothing about, so I'm excited.

Finally, I downloaded How to Eat a Cupcake by Meg Donahue and The Fool's Tale by Nicole Galland. Both of these were recently on sale in digital format. Meg's review of Cupcake prompted me to purchase it. And The Fool's Tale just looked good!


I also have a very sad story. My very favorite independent bookstore, A Real Bookstore in Fairview, TX has closed its doors for good. I've already lamented this on Facebook, but this store was something super special. It was huge, full of life, full of great service and recommendations, a kickass cafe, and just wonderful, superb people. And the best little book club in town (Girls Night Out!!!).

The manager, and one of my dear friends, let us know at our final book club meeting in the store. We also got a 90% discount on the remaining stock. My heart wasn't even in it, y'all. It was so so so sad. I went ahead and looked through the shelves and brought home some books that I really wanted, and I'll be inscribing them with A Real Bookstore's name to help me remember where they came from on down the road (though I don't think I'll have any trouble remembering).

The up-side is that our book club has decided to carry on and meet in a new location.

Here's what I took away from the store that fateful night...

I picked up three of the Babylit books. Greyson is probably too old for these board books (counting, colors, etc.), but the illustrations are gorgeous, and I think he'll really be attracted to the look of them. Alice in Wonderland, Dracula, and A Christmas Carol. This is another credit to Meg! I had no idea about these books until she mentioned building a secret library of them. ;) 





I discovered my love of A.S. Byatt a couple of years ago when I read Little Black Book of Short Stories. I was immediately swept away by the just-right length of the longer short stories. Angels and Insects is made up of two novellas. I can't wait to inhale more of Byatt's work.

I am ashamed to admit, I've never read any of Shirley Jackson's work except "The Lottery" in school! It's just about time I get on with We Have Always Lived in the Castle.

Finally, I've seen reviews of it crop up everywhere, so I grabbed Sadie Jones's The Uninvited Guests.

And I could've sworn there were more, but I can't, for the life of me, remember at this moment what they were. There's a super cute picture book for Greyson, and I think one or two more for me.

These beauties should feed my reading for a bit. And I'm happy to report that I need to review a whopping four books that have yet to appear here on the blog! I rarely have that problem, but it's a good problem to have. It means I'm reading!!!


Which books have come into your house lately? 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik