Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Not one iota of me expected to like this book. I'm just sayin'. I've learned a lesson lately. I tend to be pleasantly surprised by books I know next  to nothing about. Trish taught me this lesson in part -- I first heard it from her. And I think I agree! This book knocked me over with pleasant surprise.

My book club picked this one, and I was almost immediately attitudey about it. I didn't really want to buy it because what I knew of the premise (quadriplegic finds love?) sounded horrible. And the cover is way too lovey-looking for my taste. It's like Valentine's Day exploded on this cover. I seriously considered not purchasing it and not going to book club that week.

And then I got over myself and my preconceived, totally-made-up notions and stinkin' loved it. Like LOVED it. And cried a lot reading it.

Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick. What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane. Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.
And it's so much better than that blurb.

The thing that impressed me about this book was the character development. I really fell in love with Lou and Will and all the peripheral characters (except Will's mother...ick). It was a slow build to get to know them, and I mean that in the best way. I initially thought these characters were going to be flat and they took shape in such lovely, unfolding ways. They had their highs and they certainly had their ugly, yucky lows, but that made me love them.

If you're looking for a super-fast read with heart, give this one a try, even if you think you'll hate it.

Pub. Date: December 2012 
Publisher: Penguin Group
Format: E-book
ISBN-13: 9780143124542
Source: Purchased by moi!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik